Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 47

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299269 times)

sugartooth

Dave

• Old Timer

Great pictures sugartooth.  That second to last photo is why DFO backed out of trying to fix these clay slides in this area of the Chilliwack River.  Thousands of dollars were spent on this one slide alone and as you see, it only delayed the inevitable.  Many independent consultants have made a lot of money working on these problems (with no real suggestions), mainly funded by successful grant applications by David Lamson of the now defunct Chilliwack River Action Committee.
I can’t see any solution to repairing these slide areas. No government will touch it solely for its fisheries impacts; really, all we can hope for is dryer winter months and that of course would have its own fishery production issues.

HOOK

• Old Timer

So who covers the cost of repairing that road now that people actually live in the house at the end of it ??

When this slide milts into the river I would say most of it has settled out before the crossing area unless it's alot coming out. Cross your fingers for colder weather or the clarity downstream will suffer all season
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

243Pete

Hopefully next week the weather temp drops down and that we don't get any more sudden hard down pours of rain.
I'm going to guess that taking truck loads of clay out wouldn't really be a solution to this.  :-\

SilverChaser

Wow. I remember walking past there last year with my dad (Who's a Geotechnical Engineer). He noticed that water was seeping out of the side and he told me "That doesn't look right. That will let go any day now". I just brushed it off with a "Uh huh" not realizing how much of an effect it has on the river.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Howlongsyourleader

I was about to post pictures but I see Sugartooth beat me to it. I walked past the fresh debris flow at the clay banks on Saturday morning. I'm a geoscientist so I find this stuff pretty neato. Excavating the material from the fresh debris flow and trucking it out would make space behind the dyke to impound future debris flows providing they are small. I'm very curious to see how this pans out. Here is a link I found detailing the works project: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/library/282335.pdf

Have you seen my float?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I was about to post pictures but I see Sugartooth beat me to it. I walked past the fresh debris flow at the clay banks on Saturday morning. I'm a geoscientist so I find this stuff pretty neato. Excavating the material from the fresh debris flow and trucking it out would make space behind the dyke to impound future debris flows providing they are small. I'm very curious to see how this pans out. Here is a link I found detailing the works project: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/library/282335.pdf
I have this vid link on the Slesse Slide on Fishing Related Issues and News but thought I would take the liberty of posting it here as some of you may not go there. Thought the history of this slide is interesting, at least it held up for 19 years and made better water conditions for that time and kept some silt and clay out of the river bed.

"I have been going through my hundreds of old VHS tapes and more recent DVD's. I am putting up some on my u Tube channel.
Here is one I produced nearly 19 years ago for the Chilliwack River Action Committee using some of my footage, also other film I dug up, footage provided by BC TV, script I and Fred Helmer Jr. wrote with voice over by Scott Riley as well as Grant Ullyott from the former CHWK radio station in Chiliiwack. I am sure some of you will recognize some people in the video.

It is sort of fitting at this time as the clay slides may be a problem again after the high water events this year. Hope you enjoy it, I even caught a steelhead just below the Hydro Bridge, the second one at the start of the video.

https://youtu.be/su0bEzHvi4o

Howlongsyourleader

Chris I really enjoyed watching that video you posted!

+1 for good conditions in the upper above the slide. Beautiful green in the upper river on Saturday and less so on Sunday after the heavy rain.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:52:04 PM by Howlongsyourleader »
Have you seen my float?

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing

too bad its not gravel or trucks would be lining up to take it out, but clay, no one cares.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

SilverChaser

Beautiful looking Bully HowLongsYourLeader.

Yet to ever get into these things on the Vedder  ;D

Took my brother out today for a bit. It's his first year steelheading, so i'm going to try and focus hard on getting him into a steelhead this season (To get him hooked  ;D). After about an hour, we both deemed that the river was too gross looking to fish. Wasn't a total loss of a day though, because we roasted up some hotdogs on an open fire and enjoyed the snow-capped mountains  ;D
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Dave

• Old Timer

too bad its not gravel or trucks would be lining up to take it out, but clay, no one cares.

I think lots of people care Rod, but finding the political will and funding to solve these clay slide problems is the real problem. As you well know, this particular slide is but one of several in the area.  I think all but the Ranger Run slide have been worked on in the past.

Drewhill

Tons of guys in the upper today. Was an absolute gong show up there so went mid and lower. Water is cloudy but fishable.

clarki

• Old Timer

Chris I really enjoyed watching that video you posted!

+1 for good conditions in the upper above the slide. Beautiful green in the upper river on Saturday and less so on Sunday after the heavy rain.

Yoiks. :o Wading through mud that deep beneath an unstable slope would make me a tad uncomfy... 

GENERAL-SHERMAN

hiked over that slide in the fall a few years back for something to do... you can't imagine how far up the mountain the instability of that hill continues . As big as the slide looks it goes much farther up the hill than you can even see. Blow down and smaller slides everywhere with mushy clayish dirt. one of the nastiest hikes I have done. Any efforts in fixing this problem would be short term for sure but something is better than nothing.

HOOK

• Old Timer

You would never catch me doing this through a fresh slide. You have no idea where any crazy sink holes, deep spots or other types of hidden dangers there could be.

I remember Rod (bent rod) telling me about getting stuck in that same very slide years ago when it came down huge and said it was scary because he was alone and got lucky getting out as he was sinking slowly. I too have stepped into sink holes along the Chehalis and Norrish rivers due to their soft and unstable substrate, it's no fun going from solid ground to over your knees or more instantly. I even had it happen again on my last fishing excursion and thankfully a buddy was within reach as I went past my knees in about 2 seconds and was still sinking fast and I could not feel anything solid under my feet  :o

Anyone hear of the guy on Norrish this year that got stuck up to his waist in the mud, while the river was on the rise and S&R had to come get him because his buddies couldn't pull him out !! scary stuff
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 47