Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nicomekl and Serpentine  (Read 4954 times)

Camman

Nicomekl and Serpentine
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:35:48 PM »

I live in south surrey and i was wondering if anyone has some tips for cutties or salmon in salmon season for these two rivers? ???

goodoldays

Re: Nicomekl and Serpentine
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 01:22:37 AM »

I never knew there was fishing possible on these rivers. Every time I drove by it in Langley towards white rock
looking at those waters reminded me of muddy ditch or sewer drain.

salmon river

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 07:11:29 AM »

If Memeory serves me right October is when the coho go up the serpentine.  I know both of them do have other salmon returns but I never fished Salmon in those rivers intentionally. Serpentine does have a hatchery at Tynehead and I think there* may* be one on the Nic but I really do not know for sure but I believe their is a group that does it I think anyway.

I usually fish for trout or carp.  You can catch rainbows and cutties, even the odd Dolly and odd smaller sturgeon in both but an awful lot of 'bull head' a few suckers and seems every year more and more 'pumpkin seed' type fish in the serpentine, especially between King George and 132.

They do not open until July1 though.

Nicomekll Hatchery

The Nicomekl River originates in the Township of Langley and is spring (groundwater) fed. It then flows east to west through the City of Langley and Surrey to Mud Bay at Blackie Spit. The total watershed encompasses an area of 175.2 km2, and mean the annual flow is 3.47 m3/sec. The main tributaries of the Nicomekl River include Chantrell, Elgin, Makerth, Erickson, Anderson, Murray, Logan, and Fraser Creek. The Nicomekl River and it's tributaries support runs of Coho, Chum, Chinook, Pink Salmon, Cutthroat, Steelhead and Rainbow Trout, as well as redsided shiners, three spine sticklebacks, western brook lamprey,brown Bullhead, Carp and Sculpins. It also has the last known bed of Native Pacific Oysters in North America which is located at the mouth of the river. There are many parks located within the Nicomekl River Watersheds: Including High Knoll, Brookswood, Hunter, Langley City, Portage, and Dogwood.

Click the Nicomekl Hatchery link above for a lot more info[/url]

Tynehead hatchery on the Serpentine

So hopefully those two links help.

I remember in my youth though those rivers used to be very productive rivers but my dad says when he was younger they were awesome and people came from miles around to fish them.

I guess pollution, spills, urbanisation has done a number on them, plus not much of a current either.

Camman

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 10:39:46 AM »

Thank you for the input.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 10:50:59 AM »

there are salmon and steelhead in both, my neighbors grandpa used to fish them daily when he was younger.
Fish killer 101

salmon river

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 03:57:37 PM »

Camman you sent me a pm and I can not send one back.  I also can not find where to subscribe here so I can send one. I must be going blind or something. ha ha

You can send me an email at canadianlatitude@shaw.ca if you wish.

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 09:34:17 AM »

Hello,

I live around the North Surrey area (close to Fraser Highway) and was wondering where I may be able to park my vehicle and catch fish around the Serpentine? As well, has anyone actually caught carp there? I am a rookie fisherman and have caught trout and white fish at Buntzen Lake South and am now interested in catching bigger fishes... I do have a Freshwater license and a salmon tag and would like to utilize it around my neighborhood if possible. Thank You.

Iyekim76
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~