Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are trailer hooks allowed in lakes in bc?  (Read 6005 times)

Dr. Backlash

Are trailer hooks allowed in lakes in bc?
« on: March 13, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »

On lakes that don't specify "single barbless only", are we allowed to use a 2nd barbless hook (trailer hook) on our lures (i.e. hoochie with 2 hooks)?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Are trailer hooks allowed in lakes in bc?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:50:10 PM »

No, only one hook is allowed.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »

like rod said, its not allowed. All lakes in BC are single hook only and rivers single barbeless.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 06:19:42 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »

thanks for letting me know

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 06:55:16 PM »

Unlike rivers where only one single barbless hook is allowed, lakes' hook regulation can vary a bit. Some lakes are single barbless only, some are single only, some allow the use of treble hook. Regardless what type of hooks, only one is allowed on the line at all time.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:03:12 PM »

--I'm not sure that it is clear that one means one in this instance.
--I believe (don't know ask local CO show them the rig before using) the intent is to have a rig that cannot catch more than one fish at a time.
--the reg... one hook, one artificial lure or one artificial fly.
--does not specifically say the artificial lure or artificial fly must have one hook.
--Before you guys all go ballistic and feel you have to call the tips line to turn me in just to let you know personally I only use single barbless... even on the hoochies.
--The two hook rig mini hoochie is very common on lures made in USA and sold on BC stores as are various plugs. bucktail flies etc..
--As I fish in many lakes that have single barbless reg its a no brainer to only have one hook. On the two rig hoochies I cut the trailer and usually re-tie the hook with a bead so it is near or just past the tail of the hoochie as kokanee often attack the lure from behind rather than the side.
--Although regs now published every second year they are reviewed yearly... when there are areas in the regs that are not clear we should all indicate these to MOE or whatever it is called now that prints the regs. This is the only way to get clarity of the definitions.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:09:01 PM by skaha »

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:58:03 PM »

good post skaha, im like you i always use single barbless everywhere, that way it doesnt hurt the fish and your safe from fines anywhere u fish as long as its in season and boundries.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 10:34:10 AM »

so are you guys saying you would frown at my treble hook chironie pattern ??  ;) lol
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »

so are you guys saying you would frown at my treble hook chironie pattern ??  ;) lol

--no problem as long as you don't use it in a single barbless lk.
--this summer looking at doing (approved scientific experiment permit not on my own) a study to see if different sized barbless trebles are actually better for use than large single barbless... for larger lakes there is often a single barbless rule.... the idea being to allow for release of large rainbows... the issue is the large hook.... especially siwash often kills small kokanee...
--in the case of okanagan lk kokanee is closed for part of the season.  Our thoughts being... larger treble.... there are different shaped hooks as well in treble from wide gap to almost a circle hook design plus some have one large and two smaller hooks etc... would not deep hook or spin into the head of smaller kokanee.
--I don't think regulation works as well as good information... people for the most part will follow the rules ... if the rules are clear and make sense.
--I use the single barbless for more practical reasons... especially when trolling I use two lines.. three if three people in the boat.. and I target larger fish thus if I hook into smaller fish I want to  release it quickly and safely .. even long release so I can get the lure back and fishing.. Also find that on larger fish I get at least as good if not better hook up and landing % with single barbless.. so you see I'm not such a good guy after all... and for sure I don't want to regulate the heck out of others who may enjoy another method of fishing if it isn't necessary to do so for conservation reason.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 01:16:42 PM »

good observation for the hooks

and i was kidding about a treble hooked fly LOL be to difficult to tie and i havent seen a treble small enough anyways  ;)
Check out our new blog

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 06:55:33 PM »

--Have you seen the two hook chironi?  It can be tied on a single long bent shaft hook.. on chironi close to the eye and one on the tail. I have also seen it tied with two hooks attached together.
--many bait spoons have two or three hooks in a line on a short wire... this is used to attach the plastic worm ... check out "viper spoon fly"

--Also available is a thin wire small treble intended for use as a stinger... I actually have seen it tied as a fly... although I did think you were kidding Hook.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 08:02:06 AM »

yes i have seen the two chironie pattern. I think it looks retarded personally. I have never come across a time when i would think of needing a fly like that LOL
Check out our new blog