Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish bound Pinks - DFO  (Read 5263 times)

alindsey

Squamish bound Pinks - DFO
« on: August 20, 2021, 09:55:36 PM »

Can someone explain to be the logic behind DFO's decision to allow retention of 4 Pinks/day in Howe Sound, yet limit Squamish anglers to not only C&R but also deny them the ability to fish the Cheakamus or Mamquam? I really don't get it, but I really want to think it makes sense some how some way.

alindsey

Re: Squamish bound Pinks - DFO
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 10:01:21 PM »

To add, I'm not trying to be negative. Just from a biological perspective, if someone could enlighten me on DFOs decision that would be awesome.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 10:01:30 PM »

There is no logic.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 12:34:56 AM »

I asked the very same question two years ago and there was no answer. So, I concluded that dfo must work in mysterious ways. Have faith, brother.  :P

FWIW, if the return is poor to the point of being a conservation concern, every one of us should do the right thing and not fish for Squamish bound pinks at all, DFO and their incomprehensible policies be damned.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 04:41:11 AM »

well. the pink from Howe sound is edible than pink in the river. For your table and health sake

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 07:01:38 AM »

Most of the pinks caught in the Western end of Howe Sound are not heading north for the Squamish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

koko

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 03:23:31 PM »

I would think most of the furry creek area fish is heading to Squamish.

koko

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 03:25:31 PM »

I asked the very same question two years ago and there was no answer. So, I concluded that dfo must work in mysterious ways. Have faith, brother.  :P

FWIW, if the return is poor to the point of being a conservation concern, every one of us should do the right thing and not fish for Squamish bound pinks at all, DFO and their incomprehensible policies be damned.
x2

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 03:47:26 PM »

I would think most of the furry creek area fish is heading to Squamish.

well obviously ...eh?

if you look the limit of 4 salmon in aggregate for all species applies to the entire coast. For the most part the retention limit is restricted below 4 for only coho and chinook. Retention of pinks is not allowed for most rivers in the Province. Maybe by logic it should be 20 - that is 4 x 5 species. Excuse me  for I am being sarcastic.

In another thread I pointed out that there is a local fisheries council for the Squamish system and it seems to be them that recommends what the retention limit is there. Prior to 2019 it was 2 even in a high return years like 2013. In 2019 it was 2 and following the poor spawning success for that year ( people including the OP have been reading some the other threads on this topic haven't they? No?) it makes sense to reduce it to zero IMO. Better yet, close it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 04:13:57 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

koko

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 04:19:36 PM »

I think you might misunderstand what I post. yes I agree they should close it.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2021, 05:48:53 PM »

Been viewing some nice looking Pinks getting caught on the Squamish river on social media. Glad it’s open for catch and release. Recreational anglers have already lost too many fishing opportunities.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2021, 06:50:20 PM »

they closed it  for at least 2 cycles after the 2005 train derailment chemical spill that wiped out fish in the Cheakamus. They even closed the north end of Howe Sound. Did you regret that loss as well?

alindsey

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2021, 07:11:05 PM »

@RalphH Imo its less the fact that there is zero retention that doesnt make sense to me, but more the fact that they have coupled that with strict limits as to where you can fish.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2021, 08:09:59 PM »

they closed it  for at least 2 cycles after the 2005 train derailment chemical spill that wiped out fish in the Cheakamus. They even closed the north end of Howe Sound. Did you regret that loss as well?
The only thing I regret is your bad attitude.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 08:11:43 PM by Wiseguy »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2021, 07:19:15 AM »

It's the same bonehead logic that placed 6 DFO officers at Centennial Beach yesterday staffing some info booth with stuffed killer Wales. Peak salmon fishing season and 6 officers are chatting it up with families on their day off.