Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: 2013 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67322 times)

sumasriver

First coho of the year today.  Female and only  4-5 lbs but still a chromer was great after way too many pinks this year.

Hatchery was a bonus.

I lost 2 last week that were in the 10 lb range so great to finally land one.

DanL

• Old Timer

Clarity this morning to around noon was about 12" - 15" max.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

this sucks....all this extra flow will turbo the coho and springs upriver. with no low river staging/channel areas to target them its almost impossible to catch anything. i hope the river drains by sunday the earliest so i can get out there. btw is the vedder bridge area fishable......or is it really high. thanks.

RiverRunner

Been fishing the wack for several years,always off shore throughout the system. Recently thinking about trying the mouth Via boat. Just wondering what methods work best out at the mouth for coho's and springs. I would imagine chucking spoons or spin-n-glow? Any experienced anglers who fish the area with info would be appreciated :)

sumasriver

With high flow in the Vedder  you just need to change strategies.  Look for pocket water. Fish in real tight  such as  3 to 10 feet from the bank.  The coho will move in real close to shore with the flow and colored water.
The river is still very fishable.   Had coho today and yesterday fishing 2-3 hrs each day.

If you are fishing the mouth i would recomend the usual culprits  - spinners  and spoons.

With spinners go big with the flow eg. 4 or 5.  For spoons try crocs ( 3/8ths  firestripe  )   and coho ( blue /green )   in the  35 -45 size.
Cast up river and let your spoons drop and flutter .  On the slow retrieve use variable speeds  and down deep.

Even if the fishing is tougher than normal it is still great being out on the river.  It is in many ways more enjoyable as you can have some quiet time and not have so many others crowding your space.

I consider myself still a beginner  but this is what i have learned so far.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:54:00 PM by sumasriver »

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

this sucks....all this extra flow will turbo the coho and springs upriver. with no low river staging/channel areas to target them its almost impossible to catch anything. i hope the river drains by sunday the earliest so i can get out there. btw is the vedder bridge area fishable......or is it really high. thanks.

Rise to the challenge and become a better angler... Or just give up and be a fair whether fisherman who hides at a challenge  :P
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Trophy Tackle

• Trophy Tackle

BANG on.  Big spinners and spoons work wonders in the coloured water.  In the main river, the majority of the coho won't be sitting or moving up the main flow.  Fish the slow/soft water in close to shore or tailouts and side channels.  As for the mouth, my experience there is limited.  But as stated, the usual, spinners and spoons work. 

12" vis is plenty!

With high flow in the Vedder  you just need to change strategies.  Look for pocket water. Fish in real tight  such as  3 to 10 feet from the bank.  The coho will move in real close to shore with the flow and colored water.
The river is still very fishable.   Had coho today and yesterday fishing 2-3 hrs each day.

If you are fishing the mouth i would recomend the usual culprits  - spinners  and spoons.

With spinners go big with the flow eg. 4 or 5.  For spoons try crocs ( 3/8ths  firestripe  )   and coho ( blue /green )   in the  35 -45 size.
Cast up river and let your spoons drop and flutter .  On the slow retrieve use variable speeds  and down deep.

Even if the fishing is tougher than normal it is still great being out on the river.  It is in many ways more enjoyable as you can have some quiet time and not have so many others crowding your space.

I consider myself still a beginner  but this is what i have learned so far.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:52:56 AM by Trophy Tackle »

PinetreeBycatch

Hey folks,

I've got my first Saturday to myself in ages and would like to go spend tomorrow morning bothering the fish. Is it too early to try for coho in the Vedder? Is it worth going out that way with the recent rain?

Sorry if this is something that's been beaten to death already - I'm a complete novice when it comes to fishing and I am finding myself kinda short on days where I can go fishing recently, so I'm looking to avoid spending another day getting skunked (again!) if I can help it. One can only say "it's about getting outside, not about catching them!" so many times before you would just like to hook a damned fish already. :)

I'm not fixated on coho or the Vedder specifically, it just seemed like one possibility from my  haphazard reading this week. I'm in New West so I'm open to other rivers/lakes as well - if you were taking your clueless buddy out fishing tomorrow, where would you go?

Thanks!

zap brannigan

coho have been in there for a while, not going to catch them at home get out there.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome

I would say the Vedder is your best chance of getting some salmon at the moment. There are coho in there for sure. Get out there early and fish hard and you'll be rewarded with something I'm sure. Good luck!
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Funeral Of Hearts

Vedder should be shaping up nice for tomorrow.  And there should  be lots of coho in there now.

Alex_c

Plenty of fish landed today at the mouth around high tide.  Landed my first hatchery of the year at around 7 lbs today, and my buddy got a couple yesterday.  Fishing was a bit slow yesterday, but picked up today.  I mostly fish the channel/mouth by boat, and it's about as high as I have seen it in the last couple months, so you have to work for your fish.  Visibility is fine and hopefully another couple days of little to no rain will bring clear things up even more and get that water down to concentrate the fish.  There are tons of coho already at the hatchery, but they should keep moving in until the end of the month. 

fic

• Old Timer

sumasriver

Vedder has coho

I recommend you go to the train bridge.  No one fishes there and it is pretty decent......

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Vedder has coho

I recommend you go to the train bridge.  No one fishes there and it is pretty decent......

Really ?   ;)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12