Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Como Lake Festival - Wet but fantastic!  (Read 4326 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Como Lake Festival - Wet but fantastic!
« on: June 05, 2005, 06:15:34 PM »

Last night, after reading the accurate report from the weather network, I told Itosh and Trout Slayer, "Nah, It's not going to rain tomorrow..."

This morning, a thin layer of clouds blanketed over Richmond, things still looked rather dry. That all changed once we got closer to Coquitlam, the clouds became thicker, darker.... Things were about to change.

Today was the third annual Como Lake Festival, hosted by an active community group called Como Watershed Group. The festival emphasizes on preservation of urban ecosystem. As usual, this year's festival was jam packed with fun youth activities such as bird house building, kid concert, stream critters observing, Watershed building with clay, etc. We were invited back again this year to host a youth flytying workshop throughout the event.

The rain started as soon as we arrived during setup. Good thing the tents were all up before the heavy downpour. We were rather unmotivated near the beginning as it was wet and cold. One of us (ahem, me) came unprepared with a short sleeved shirt. ::)

Fortunately, the rain didn't drive enthusiastic visitors away. An hour after the event started, families arrived in waves and soon there was a lineup at our fly tying booth. :o Our tent was right next to the girl guides so we were always busy as they were eager to learn. To the non-angling public, flies seem like a fish killing tool, but I often explain to parents that although they are primarily designed to catch fish, fly tying is an art that develops patience and creativity within youngsters. The final product is something that one can display at home, it doesn't necessarily have to be used for fishing. Every kid walked away today proudly with a fly of their own creation as well as numerous other goodies provided by DFO.

The watershed creation with clay was pretty neat. The idea was to construct a mini model of a watershed with clay, so everyone can understand more about what are the vital elements required for a healthy watershed.

There was also a display of native plants that are commonly found in the riparian zone. The stream critter tub had a variety of aquatic insects in it for people to identify.

Other new features this year included the medicinal plant walk around the lake, the puppet show, bicycle maintenance, BC Hydro powersmart outreach program.

They expected 700 visitors today, but the rain obviously kept a few indoors. The overall turnout was still larger than last year. Looking forward to next year's event already. :)

I thank Itosh, Trout Slayer and TtotheE for being so patient and supportive at the fly tying booth. They basically taught kids how to tie for four hours straight with no breaks. The workshop would not be possible without you guys' assistance. My thank and congratulations to Susanne for not only putting together another successful event, but also constantly making sure all volunteers were taken care of (thanks for the fleece jacket so I could stop shivering for a couple of hours ;) ). The volunteers at the Como Watershed Group are very dedicated to preserving a small sensitive piece of nature that is sitting in the middle of the city. By doing so, they ensure their neighbours (and also you fishermen under 16 and over 65) have a place to escape from our complicated, busy life. I would also like to thank Dragonfly from Redl Sports once again for their generous contribution. Everytime we host a workshop, all material have been provided by them. your support makes sure this sport and industry will sustain for many years to come.

Festival photo gallery
Please click on the small photos to see large version.

Don't forget in two weeks from now, BC Family Fishing Weekend is happening. There are four major events happening in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley - Fish for the Future in Steveston on the 18th, Lafarge Lake in Coquitlam on the 18th, Rice Lake trout fishing in North Vancouver on the 19th, Cultus Lake pikeminnow derby in Chilliwack on the 19th. :)

Buck_wife

Re: Como Lake Festival - Wet but fantastic!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 08:29:35 AM »

The pike minnow derby at Cultus is actually on the 18th  ;)

Looks like the all the kids had fun tying flies, good job guys!

CohoOn!

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 02:39:12 AM »

Awesome job you guys!! :D Looking forward to the 18th.

Cheers!
Glen
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 10:43:12 AM »

Well done by all, CVRCC will try to make it next year.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 10:45:40 AM »

Drat I was hoping that Pikeminnows would be the 19th, then I could do both :( 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 10:48:36 AM »

Why don't you bring a kid or two to the Rice Lake Trout Fishing instead on Sunday then, it will be a lot of fun. The Seymour Salmonid Society and GVRD do a group job with this event each year. More on http://www.seymoursalmon.com/

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 10:48:48 AM »

Drat I was hoping that Pikeminnows would be the 19th, then I could do both :( 

The bar fishing trip will make up for the missed pike minnow derby. If the fishing is slow you can try for PM's instead. ;D

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 11:11:27 AM »

Why don't you bring a kid or two to the Rice Lake Trout Fishing instead on Sunday then, it will be a lot of fun. The Seymour Salmonid Society and GVRD do a group job with this event each year. More on http://www.seymoursalmon.com/

I had an idea to go and try fly fishing for PM's from a boat on Sunday with a buddy.   Was mostly an excuse to get his boat out on the water.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 11:12:48 AM »

The bar fishing trip will make up for the missed pike minnow derby. If the fishing is slow you can try for PM's instead. ;D

I'm sure it will!  We'll have to get that organised at some point, but as I see from  your report, and you can see from mine, there are still trout out there looking for hooks ;)  We'll have to line it though!