Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Sockeye and F/N  (Read 10114 times)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Fraser River Sockeye and F/N
« on: April 30, 2008, 07:58:38 AM »

Ottawa calls on B.C. natives to ration sockeye catch

MARK HUME

E-mail Mark Hume | Read Bio | Latest Columns
April 30, 2008

VANCOUVER -- Sockeye returns to the Fraser River this summer will be so poor that the federal government has asked 94 native bands in the watershed to come up with a catch-sharing plan that, for the first time, may involve "salmon rationing."

Native leaders say such meagre catches are forecast that people who have always had sockeye as a staple of their traditional diet might not get any this summer.

"The salmon that are harvested will need to be rationed between and among the bands. And the individual bands may have to ration salmon inside their communities," said Ernie Crey, a director of the Sto:Lo Nation fisheries program.

"They will very likely be forced to create priority lists for salmon. Very likely the able-bodied will do the fishing. But the leaders may be forced to say first priority for who gets the salmon are the elderly, single moms and those on welfare," said Mr. Crey, whose organization represents about a dozen bands on the lower river.

"...The government calls it a sharing plan, but that is really a euphemism for the rationing of salmon," he said.

Although other species, such as chum and late-summer chinook, are forecast to be numerous enough to support fisheries, the loss of sockeye is a blow, because the oil-rich salmon are considered the mainstay of the native diet on the Fraser.

Early explorers told of seeing salmon-drying racks in the Fraser Canyon, where they can still be found in the summer, with families gathering to put away enough fish for a year.

"There's a great dependence on the annual sockeye run," Mr. Crey said. "The principal dietary source of protein relied upon by these 94 communities is quickly vanishing and it's alarming that there are no alternatives at hand to replace this food source."

Early predictions are for a run of about two million sockeye, which sounds like a lot of fish. But that is down considerably from the 4.4 million average for this low-cycle year and far off the river's historical annual average, for all years, of 9.7 million.

Because the run was weak four years ago, it has long been expected that commercial and recreational fishing might not be allowed in 2008.

But the Department of Fisheries and Oceans is now predicting such low returns that the aboriginal harvest of fish for food, social and ceremonial (FSC) purposes is also facing curtailment. DFO has been asking bands along the Fraser to come up with a plan to share whatever few salmon are caught.

Mr. Crey said DFO is hoping bands can work out a plan that is acceptable to everyone, reducing conflict on the river, even while stocks are plunging to extreme lows.

"It has been a very difficult exercise for all the first nations ... because they lack confidence in the [government's salmon run] forecasts," Mr. Crey said.

"Last year there was a forecast of six million [sockeye] and it came in at two million ... so we are worried it could be considerably less than [what is] being predicted now. How do we structure a plan when we don't know how many fish there will be?" he asked.

"It's a very problematic exercise. This isn't to say it can't be accomplished, because there has to be a plan ... and if we don't come up with a plan, we know they [DFO] will impose a plan."

In a letter to chiefs earlier this year, Paul Sprout, Pacific regional director general for DFO, said that reaching consensus "will be extremely challenging," but it was necessary "in a year likely to require collective action towards conservation." Mr. Sprout warned that low returns mean "all requests for FSC access cannot be fully satisfied."

Sockeye start returning in the early summer and continue running through the fall. DFO predicts the run size far in advance by using a model that considers the size of the progenitor run (the parents of this year's salmon spawned in 2004) and other things related to ocean survival.

The growth rate of salmon at sea, water temperatures, salinity levels, the breeding success of sea birds (an indication of food abundance) and the timing of zooplankton blooms are all factors.

DFO has calculated there is a 90-per-cent probability the Fraser sockeye run will be at least 1.2 million (which would mean almost no fishing), but there is a 50-per-cent probability it could reach 2.8 million (which would allow a limited harvest).

Brian Riddell, head of DFO's Pacific salmon branch, said the Fraser's sockeye run isn't the only one in poor shape this year. Wild sockeye in the Skeena have been rated as "a stock of concern," which means it is unlikely fishing will be allowed for them. 

Early chinook runs to the Fraser and Thompson Rivers and to the West Coast of Vancouver Island are also of concern, as are coho in the upper Fraser, Thompson and Georgia Strait.

Dr. Riddell said on the West Coast of North America, B.C. appears to be in a transition zone between southern waters, where nearly all stocks are in peril, and the north, where salmon are doing well.

tnt

Re: Fraser River Sockeye and F/N
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:32:54 AM »

as long as its a food fishery and not a for sale fishery, I dont see too much harm in it... but knowing Ernie Crey likes to Make his dollar off the salmons Back I am nervous what will happen...
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »

"The principal dietary source of protein relied upon by these 94 communities is quickly vanishing and it's alarming that there are no alternatives at hand to replace this food source."

Wow, that is quite the statement...

I wonder how the rest of us survive!!   ::)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 11:15:53 AM »

It's difficult to wade into a discussion like this without being incendiary...but, here goes.....

Ernie Crey talks like a corrupt politician trained in used car sales. 

CHUMHUNTER

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 01:33:58 PM »

Those of us that have fished the Fraser for years know what will happen when it comes to the sale of sockeye by FN. They will do it and nothing will be done about it. They continue to blow smoke and now that we are at this critical stage they will still allow it to happen. I am tired of hearing this every year. There will be no conservation of salmon until poachers are fined and jailed . I have many FN friends who will not allow the sale of fish that they catch but there are others who just do not care just like those that say they are trying to stop flooding by removing gravel -- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

fyrslyer

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 02:27:53 PM »

Its absolute BS to believe that all the First Nations fish they catch will be for ceremonial and food purposes i would say a HUGE chunk of it goes for selling Sockeye to make money.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 02:47:16 PM »

It may not be all the reasons that include overfishing, illegal fishing during closed times and catching fish just for sale purposes that sockeye are in trouble on the Fraser River but these activities have certainly contributed to what we are now faced with.

As well look back a few years, actually in 2004 the brood year for this years returning fish when 1.3 to 1.6 sockeye that went missing after entering the Fraser River. This was big news that year and if you google "missing sockeye on the Fraser River" you will get a lot of information. One report by the Standing Committee on Fisheries said, we are heading towards disaster in 2008 and the economic impact could reach 78 million. I guess we can now say we have reached that point and one could say the chicken has now come home to roost or maybe it should say the fish have not come home to spawn.

Who is to blame, well I guess all user groups have in one way or another but besides the changing environment it must come down to FOC to police these fisheries as each fish is now very important. We need to attempt to get as many fish back to the spawning grounds as possible

I have been accused about writing about bad news on the Fraser sorry but this is bad news, all users including FOC can no longer sweep this under the rug, we including FOC must all act now to save our precious salmon for the future.

A CTV story from May 23, 2005

CTV.ca News Staff

The Fraser River's sockeye salmon fishery is heading towards disaster, a federal Parliamentary committee's report said Tuesday.

If the situation doesn't improve, fishing will be shut down in the 2008 season, as sockeye have a four-year life cycle, said the Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans. But the finding means the outlook for 2012 and 2016 is also bleak.

The economic impact of that in 2008 will be $78 million, the committee estimated.

Its report partly blames rising water temperatures, but also unchecked, illegal overfishing by native bands.

"If fish were trees, we've clear-cut a quarter of the Fraser basin," declared B.C. Conservative MP John Cummins, a commercial fisher.

He has previously called for a judicial inquiry into the Fraser River fishery's management.

An estimated 1.6 million fish, one-third of the total run, went missing in 2004.

Cummins talked about the underground salmon economy, saying, "The government has chosen to look the other way, and the end result of this is for the next 20 years, we've lost a run of Fraser River sockeye."

However, the committee also heard testimony from a veteran fisheries officer that it would be impossible for First Nations fishers to harvest and market the volume of fish that are missing.

Ernie Crey, a native fisheries adviser, told CTV News Vancouver, "We take issue with the findings of the standing committee."

Native fishers have used the same nets and techniques for generations, he said.

While the report quotes extensively from a fisheries expert who said high water temperatures likely played a major role in the decline, the committee also said water temperatures alone can't account for the decline.

The committee didn't reach any conclusion about whether climate change was a possible cause of higher river temperatures. It did call for more research.

"If in fact it is climate change and if river temperatures continue to increase it's a further argument for more conservation," said Tom Wappel, the Liberal committee chairman.

In any event, the report said "fishing pressure of any kind during periods of record high water temperature should be avoided."

Conservative committee member Randy Kamp said: "Clearly it was a combination of factors and I suspect environmental factors were significant as well but we heard lots of testimony from people witnessing lack of enforcement."

CTV Vancouver's Rob Brown said there are about 29 Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans officers patrolling the Fraser.

Brown said Cummins thought there should be at least 45 officers available.

NDP MP Peter Stoffer noted the committee has previously issued reports on the sockeye only to see no action taken by the government. He wants a response this time within 60 days.

"We cannot come back and do another report down the road because there may not be any salmon left for anyone."

Fisheries Minister Geoff Regan told reporters: "After I review that (report), we'll look at what we have to do, and if we have to do things differently, we will."

With a report from CTV Vancouver's Rob Brown and files from The Canadian Press

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »

I wouldn't take that comment to heart Chris....if there was good news to post I think we all know you'd be the first one to share it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 04:05:45 PM »

This is my post from August 3, 2004, note the red highlighted sentance. :o

I'm a llama!

Drift Nets Now Allowed In Chilliwack Area
« on: August 03, 2004, 08:39:46 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More good news as FOC struck a deal with Cheam to allow drift nets in the Fraser River from Jones Hill to Jespersons.

Now for the good news they will be able to fish from 5 am to 11am and 5pm to 11 pm 5 days a week. Not sure what days so when out on the river you will have lots of drift nets to avoid.

As well they will be coming by your fishing spots in these areas so be prepared to pull your rods.

Also set net opening starting tomorrow from Mission Bridge to Sawmill Creek for 96 hours.

I am starting to worry how can the fish stocks handle this pressure.

A foot note: it seems if you break the law you get what you want.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »

Audio:
http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/bc/ondemand/audio/bc-080430-salmon-bca-INTERVIEW.wmv

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/04/30/bc-first-nation-sockeye-ration.html

First Nations to ration Fraser River salmon, official says

Last Updated: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 | 6:53 PM ET

First Nations leaders along the Fraser River are being asked to do something they've never been asked to do by the federal government, according to an aboriginal official — ration their salmon catch and share among themselves.

Sto:lo Nation fisheries adviser Ernie Crey said 2008 is the worst year he's seen in five decades for returning sockeye on the Fraser.

Leaders representing 94 First Nations bands made up of more than 70,000 people have been meeting to come up with a catch-sharing program, Crey said Wednesday. Normally, aboriginal fishermen have the right to catch as much as they need for their own communities' consumption.

Last summer, large parts of the commercial sockeye fishery were closed on the West Coast. If aboriginal communities do get a chance to fish sockeye on the Fraser this summer, they will have to agree on a plan to share the fish among all members on the Fraser, Crey said, something he said has never happened before.

Collapse predicted in 2004
In 2004, early sockeye numbers were only about 10 per cent of what was expected that year, and aboriginal and commercial fishermen predicted those numbers could lead to a collapse of the Fraser River fishery when the salmon spawned in 2004 return in 2008.

But the Department of Fisheries and Oceans said at the time that the predictions of a demise of the fishery were premature.

"The Fraser River sockeye itself is going to be OK. I think that we're not so disastrously low that the stocks themselves will not recover," DFO spokesman Wayne Saito said in September of 2004.

Then in March of 2005 a report by the Commons fisheries committee said spawning levels were so low in 2004 that the commercial, recreational and aboriginal sockeye salmon fisheries on British Columbia's Fraser River could be wiped out in 2008.

The report blamed a failure by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to crack down on sockeye poaching in the region and implement previous recommendations designed to save the stock, as well as unusually warm water temperatures in 2004.

It predicted extremely low levels of adult salmon ready for harvesting in 2008 and the cancellation of all fisheries for that year.

"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 04:55:34 PM »

It was like a processing plant on the Fraser on Cheam Reserve land.  I fished right across from them and the hunter/gathers got all rude to me, because I was watching them load the large fish bins into vans with tinted windows. These guys need to realize that if the fish are in trouble it's better to be part of the solution than the main problem. I'm sure most band members have no idea what some losers are up to, but Ernie sure does. If their band members are starving I would get a new Chief who shares the largesse a bit better.

Shame on the people giving first nations a bad name by being greedy, and using ceremonial practice as a way of justifying them raping the resource. The federal government will probably let the salmon go the way of the cod. I sure hope not though.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 05:33:14 PM »

I think DFO needs to seriously increase fines for buying fish, and get some surveillance going in conjunction with the RCMP and Municipal police forces to nail and close down restaurants buying fish illegally...

10,000 fine per fish purchased. Keep liquidating your assets until the fine is covered.

Something has to be done, unless it is indeed legal for people to buy fish from the natives... I think a media campaign is in order this summer... Long overdue!!

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 06:13:15 PM »

Ration the Sockeye.
Im sure Ernie will make sure this happens. ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 06:34:53 PM »

This is going to be one of the biggest threads ever. ;D ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 07:55:46 PM »

You are bang on Nicole....increase the fines and make them stick, and people will stop buying them.  Sockeye is not like booze or drugs, if the penalties are harsh, and people are aware of it, they will steer clear.  Everybody knows a "buddy" that gets FN fish....I know the guy I know would stop should the fines go up and DFO officers take action.  A couple dozen people stung is all it would take.