Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Fishing Salmon/Steelhead?  (Read 2570 times)

Blackgivesway2blue

River Fishing Salmon/Steelhead?
« on: October 03, 2010, 06:17:08 PM »

i have a question that alot of new river fly fisherman probobly ask, but while ur drifting your fly downt the run/pool, how do you tell if you got a bite? or when to set the hook? any help would be great, thanks  ;D

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: River Fishing Salmon/Steelhead?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »

Seeing that we are in salmon season I would say it depends on what you are after.  As people have said in other posts, if fishing for Springs it could be as subtle as the line stopping or something is nibbling at the fly. In those cases, set the hook, and hang on. I have had some Chum salmon be tentative biters, but in most cases they slam the fly and take off with it - no doubt when they have bit. For coho, your best success will be in casting to where they are holding and stripping the fly back in. The stripping action is what gets their attention and makes them come out to bite the fly.  So as you put the hours on the river you will know when the salmon has bitten your offering.  Trout fishing is another can of worms and I won't dwell on that for now. One last thing I will add as it happens at one time or another when you are flyfishing.  If you snag a salmon in the tail for instance, point your rod at the fish and give a nice steady pull back to  break the fish off. Saves not only on the wear and tear to you and your fly gear, but also to the fish. Hope this helps.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:48:45 PM »

thanks dennyman, that helps alot, so sometimes if your unsure if its a nible or just a log or a twig for example, set the hook anyways?

whereismyfloat

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:04:06 PM »

don't be afraid to look silly by setting the hook when nothings there! watch where your fly line disappears into the water. it should be moving at the pace of the water. if it slows, moves sideways, gets pulled down deeper ... set the hook.

i have hooked many fish where i have never felt the actual bite. once you've hooked a couple of fish like this your confidence will grow and it will become infinitely easier.

i think its just time on the water, that's all.

Mitchell Long

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »

Another option is strike indacatiors.

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 07:27:20 PM »

most hits i get from steelhead are after 2 strips and then you set the hook hard and hold on for a battle
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot