Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing oct 14  (Read 2094 times)

mdc8427

fly fishing oct 14
« on: October 14, 2013, 05:36:04 PM »

Good to see some fly fishers out there today mixed in with the 40,000 gear guys today at the vedder. saw lots of guys gettin hoes using spoons and roe. I however got skunked! :-\ used wooley buggers, and muddlers. anyone else having any luck on the fly today?

blackskull

Re: fly fishing oct 14
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 07:24:27 PM »

Had an epic day yesterday.  Approx 10 landed, most were hatchery.  The morning folk gave up by mid-morning and I ended up getting the run to myself.  The bite started right after they left and didn't end until mid-afternoon.

Today, slower.  More people.  There were 4 peeps fishing when I got to the run.  All were pretty much trying to line the fish with heavy sink tips and flies.  That got the fish spooked from all the splashing of the foul hooked fish.  I was just on an intermediate tip with a bead headed fly.... Could have gone just dry line and longer tippet, it was so shallow there.  As people started to leave I got into a few.  Ended up retaining 2.

Don't have a pic of todays catch.  But this was from yesterday...

Coho by Blackskull, on Flickr

mdc8427

Re: fly fishing oct 14
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:35:45 PM »

had a awesome day today (oct 15)  best day since i started with my switch rod. 6 lost, 3 wild, 2 hatchery and two large chum.
Rolled muddlers were doin the trick (blue and gold) with a heavy sink tip put me right on the them  , ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;Dno pics sorry    #thuglife