Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sealing roe in Jars?  (Read 11398 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: sealing roe in Jars?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 08:34:43 PM »

All my flies fit in a box in a pocket of my vest, they keep there for years.  :-P
Not all those who wander are lost

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »

It doesn't matter what container the roe is in ,nobody should be stealing roe  and even if it is in jars. :o

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 08:15:39 PM »

"Stealing roe"

Huh?

Hope that was a typo ???

mikeH

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »

This was the thread I was looking for!I'm storing my coho roe in a jar cured and mixed with borax.I've vacuumed sealed a few pink skeins.I'm trying the mason jar trick. I watched a vid on youtube screaming reels dude he doesn't seal jars with the fire inside just screws lid on tight.I was wondering if I should seal the jar with match etc? this is my first time using a jar I like the method.I plan on using this roe in the jar for Steelhead been in the jar 2 weeks still looks good not too dried out.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 10:48:42 AM »

i wouldn't worry about the match unless storing it for long periods of time. like years. if your planning to fish it steelhead season i think your ok. i put borax in the bottom of the jar, put the skeins in and then fill it up to the top with borax. pack it down a lightly with my hand and seal it. make sure you use appropriate size jars so you have use a ton of borax.

mikeH

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »

Ok thanks the jar I'm using is a good size for the amount of roe and borax is a good level.I know it seals cause I've been checking the roe periodically to make sure its not getting to dry to being first time using the jar method.Its seals great cause the seal pops! thx I'll leave in the fridge the way it is.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 03:30:46 PM »

one thing i have to add. this is after i have already cured the roe with borax. i personally don't use any cures.

norton

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 09:40:36 PM »

If you seal it with a match and paper before you screw the lid on it burns off the oxygen. If there's no oxygen, then the eggs won't deteriorate. If the lid pops , after you screw it down , then it's a sign the jar is sealed, which will keep out any more air.

mikeH

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 12:02:25 AM »

I'm using pro cures Redd hot double stuff.