Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can't wait for steelhead  (Read 11474 times)

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: can't wait for steelhead
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »

Cast two step two.  great way to cover water.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 07:22:49 PM »

No casts, I just walk the river with the rod. I'm ethical.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 08:24:58 PM »

Its ok Rod,  we all know thats your cover story ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »

What about those dead cohos you've been posting ? ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 09:17:17 PM »

5 times is a waste of time, 2 max, or 1 if you want to cover a lot of water.

I agree however I do two casts before stepping. One low and slow and the second with a little more speed through the swing  :)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Silex-user

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »

Can not wait till steelhead season, that is when I come out to play at the local rivers. ;D

Silex-user

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 10:37:44 PM »

What about those dead cohos you've been posting ? ;)

They're obviously all just the same fish which I kept taking out from the fridge everyday. ;D

salmonlover

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 01:22:45 AM »

They're obviously all just the same fish which I kept taking out from the fridge everyday. ;D

Well I guess I was close...I thought you were just going to save-on foods. Who knew

mvelasco

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 09:50:53 AM »

Usually takes me 5 casts to work out a kink...that's why I cast five times haha.find a groove

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 11:26:19 AM »

5 times is a waste of time, 2 max, or 1 if you want to cover a lot of water.

sorry maybe I'm misunderstanding your guys' posts, but the only real thing you're covering with the 1 cast 1 step style of fishing is river distance...there's no way you can properly work a body of water with a cast then to move down river to make another cast...then move down river again... that's ridiculous...what happens when you encounter a short run with embankment and structured slots which can have 2 or 3 possible holding areas where sluggish steelies are laying? Do you choose one drift then move on? or are you guys just exaggerating? or maybe you guys are just kidding yourself for the sake of ethics?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:28:03 AM by blaydRnr »

Walleye76

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 12:01:48 PM »

Ok so where would a steelhead "rookie" but long time ethical angler find/learn the proper steelhead etiquette? I grew up in a region  where salmon and steelhead where species we only had the privilege of watching being targeted on TV(unless we took expensive trips to do so)Now that I'm a lucky enough to live within walking distance to one of this countries premiere steelhead flows I do not want to disrupt or cut in on any other anglers runs but from the comments on this thread it seems the expectations of a "claim" can vary from 50-500 meters.
I get that like anything in life, some people will have unreasonable ideas of what is "theirs" but what would the respectable basics of steelhead etiquette be?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 12:09:30 PM »

Spoon/spey fishing, I do 1 cast - 5 steps. No exceptions for me really unless I can physically see fish, have hit a fish, or missed a fish. Sometimes, if I know an area of a run is a hot spot for fish, I'll decrease steps between casts to 2.

Float fishing you obviously can't take just 1 cast and 5 steps. In that case do 20 foot long drifts, casting out 2-3 feet at a time.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »

sorry maybe I'm misunderstanding your guys' posts, but the only real thing you're covering with the 1 cast 1 step style of fishing is river distance...there's no way you can properly work a body of water with a cast then to move down river to make another cast...then move down river again... that's ridiculous...what happens when you encounter a short run with embankment and structured slots which can have 2 or 3 possible holding areas where sluggish steelies are laying? Do you choose one drift then move on? or are you guys just exaggerating? or maybe you guys are just kidding yourself for the sake of ethics?

Now this is how I cast when fly fishing, but casting spoons and spinners you can use the same concept. Float fishing with roe is a little different.

Steelhead like cutthroat will follow, or chase their target if they see it. If you have a standard cast and swing that takes the same arch each time, cast, step, cast, gives you the most coverage over a run. If you're standing still im the same spot casting and the fish are holding ten feet down from where you can reach you'll just waste time sitting there.

I've been taught this method from some of the best fly guides around. I tend to believe what the experts who bank on landing you fish have taught me.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 08:15:21 PM »

Now this is how I cast when fly fishing, but casting spoons and spinners you can use the same concept. Float fishing with roe is a little different.

Steelhead like cutthroat will follow, or chase their target if they see it. If you have a standard cast and swing that takes the same arch each time, cast, step, cast, gives you the most coverage over a run. If you're standing still im the same spot casting and the fish are holding ten feet down from where you can reach you'll just waste time sitting there.

I've been taught this method from some of the best fly guides around. I tend to believe what the experts who bank on landing you fish have taught me.

I understand the concept of moving, I was just baffled by the 1 cast statement....but I get it now... It's called the grid system.

The only thing is guides are successful because they know their system inside and out...it's very rare to have them take clients out in unfamiliar water.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 09:20:39 PM »

The only thing is guides are successful because they know their system inside and out...it's very rare to have them take clients out in unfamiliar water.

Right on