Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: about spring salmon  (Read 5725 times)

frozensalmon

about spring salmon
« on: September 02, 2011, 03:17:59 PM »

hi

as far as I know there are 2 kinds of spring coming back to spawn, the early one is red and the late run is white, correct me if i'm wrong
I just wanna ask

1. is the difference between this 2 kinds are color of the meat or something else?
2. when does the white spring run start and are they much bigger run than the red ones?

I have tried to catch the red springs in the earl July and august and now it's the begining of the september, didn't get any so far  =(
(have gone to vedder river, fraser in hope, lower mainland fraser..mostly with bar-fishing, float fishing with roe, but not bottom-bouncing, personally against it)

I'm still very excited and really wanna catch those springs, any tips will be much appreciated

more coho, more coho... ::)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: about spring salmon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 04:27:47 PM »

Some people like the Vedder white springs for table fare, others just like to catch them....  You'll see them in the Vedder starting mid September. Fish the fast deep water seams using a little red wool under a float.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

rickjames_2

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 05:23:44 PM »

The Whites are much larger typically, both in numbers and size on the vedder river. The origins of the run was covered in another post way back. I believe they were transplanted in a hatchery program from the Harrison system. Their are some real lunkers that come back... As for catching them short floating wool or roe has always worked for me. When it comes to roe it seems that large chunks of roe outfish the smaller roe bags...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

metalfisherman

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 07:27:11 PM »

spring=chinook I think

salmonlover

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »

spring=chinook I think

they are chinooks. people started calling them springs cause of the spring runs. only reason people call chinook salmon springs. but to call a fall returning chinook a spring seems a little bit silly to me anyways. maybe we should start calling the chinook fall salmon falls to be more season correct. you read it here first people :D

samw

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 10:06:06 PM »

maybe we should start calling the chinook fall salmon falls to be more season correct. you read it here first people :D

LOL.  Does red falls or white falls taste better?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 10:58:55 PM »

There aren't any red falls. Sorry I lied - there's about 7 that come back.

frozensalmon

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 11:52:56 PM »

thx for all the infomation..

hopefully .....
more coho, more coho... ::)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 02:00:08 AM »

Once you get your red and your white,the next challenge is to get a marbled one. ;D

hamster

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 08:03:47 AM »

spring=chinook I think

Correct.  And to confuse things more.  In the states people call them kings.

greese30

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »

My friend, son and I hit the Spring triple header on the Fraser last week.... one white, one red and one marble.  Just like hitting for the cycle!

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »

Oh THAT's what a King is, ha! I thought they had some special breed that we didn't have access to and I was all grumbly, "Dam Americans and their Kings."

katfish

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »

Spring, Chinook, King, Tyee, BlackMouth.  They all are the same fish, may refer to something distintive.  Like Tyee are over 30lb or somthing?  So freaking confusing for newbies! ???

greese30

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »

I think the definition of Tyee has changed over the years.  When I first heard the word it was reserved for salmon over 50 lbs... later 40 lbs and now recently I have heard 30 lbs.  If this continues one might be landing a "Tyee" Pink salmon in the future.  I shudder the thought!

salmonlover

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 05:14:41 PM »

I think the definition of Tyee has changed over the years.  When I first heard the word it was reserved for salmon over 50 lbs... later 40 lbs and now recently I have heard 30 lbs.  If this continues one might be landing a "Tyee" Pink salmon in the future.  I shudder the thought!

a group of people in campbell river met and decided anything over 30lbs would be a tyee. that was in 1925, so i think 30lbs has always been considered tyee worthy. still waiting for my tyee maybe ill get a fall this year.