Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feather & Fur!  (Read 4426 times)

Kype

• Try the fly!
Feather & Fur!
« on: February 09, 2011, 07:13:08 PM »

Hi all,

Any recommendations on locations to buy bulk feathers & fur to build back up my fly tying stock?  Emphasis on bulk not just regular shop selections.

Cheers  ;)
Try the fly!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: Feather & Fur!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:25:38 PM »

for feathers check dollar stores u can get bags about 5 times bigger then regular shop feathers and there cheap only a dollar or 2
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:07:41 PM »

Thanks Steelie-Slayer - will check them out - would have never thought of them!  Cool idea!!

Any others??
Try the fly!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:08:16 PM »

--depends what you want to tie with it.
--you can buy a bag of feathers but by the time you strip them down to what you want to use there won't be much.
--for value and variety buy a full cape then strip it down and sort it into what you want to use for tying and trade the rest

--fly shop should have different grades of feathers so you can match with what your needs are.

--especially for drys much less waste and more and consistent material available. On the other hand no point in using a #1 cape for woolly buggers.

--talk to your local shop to see if they will give you a break on pre season order or old stock , be aware that if you try to resell they will be ticked and good luck getting another batch. That is one reason a lot of shops won't sell bulk except to legit commercial tyers.

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »

Thanks for the note Skaha,

But after searching around I am going to import my bits from the UK - FAR cheaper and I know the bits will be very good quality and what I want.  I get tired of compromising around what small shops have 'in stock' rather than what you actually want/need.

Will be using Glasgow Angling Centre where I have a full and proper choice .... www.fishingmegastore.com

Maybe someday this level of choice will appear here - hope so!

Cheers
Try the fly!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »

--Might want to try Doaks fly shop for Canadian on line purchase.
--More local try Troutwaters fly and tackle... give them a call or drop in to kelowna store when you get a chance. they have much more than is currently shown on their web site.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:40:15 PM by skaha »

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 02:03:22 PM »

Thanks for the pointers Skaha,

By the way I am all in favour of small / local shops - who isnt?  But there is a place for the larger retailers too.

Cheers
Try the fly!

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:19:48 AM »

Hi Skaha,

Thanks for the PM.  Still twice the price of www.fishingmegastore.com so will still be importing!

Thanks for the heads up though ;) 

I wish the Pacific Salmon would take a Bomber or a Hitched fly skated - sure would be fun!!!

Try the fly!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »

Hi Skaha,

Thanks for the PM.  Still twice the price of www.fishingmegastore.com so will still be importing!

Thanks for the heads up though ;) 

I wish the Pacific Salmon would take a Bomber or a Hitched fly skated - sure would be fun!!!

I know coho, pinks, and steelhead will  ;)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 12:26:26 PM »

for feathers check dollar stores u can get bags about 5 times bigger then regular shop feathers

I bought some feathers from a hobby store and they came with moth larvae.   Never had that problem with feathers sold by regular fish fly sources.

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »

The glasgow angling centre will take care of all your fly tying needs for sure and I would highly reccomend picking up some partridge salar hooks as well. They make for some beautiful flies. The prices are as good as you will find and the quality of materials will be excellent as always im sure but make sure you check the changeover rate on the sterling pound before you go too mad. It tends to hold very strong values.
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:26:29 PM »

Do what I did for fur get a hold of a local taxidermist, theyre always glad to get rid of scraps.
Take the T out of Morton.