Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like to see and/or find it beneficial for a fishing symposium to be held, based on the below comments from another thread?

YES
- 12 (70.6%)
NO
- 5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Fraser Valley Fishing Symposium  (Read 2549 times)

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
Fraser Valley Fishing Symposium
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:39:02 PM »

DragonSpeed,

You planted a seed...I am one of those poor fishermen...well ok, I could afford my licence and a few betties, but that said.. I don't have a selection of knowledgeable buddies to go fishing with and pick their brains, so I use this forum to help educate myself. The issues I face is to separate the comments from the inflexible fishermen who think there is only one way to go about it and the more moderate who offer choices.

Wouldn't it be nice if a dozen or so "Expert" fisherman to hold a symposium on fishing? Charge maybe $10 a head, have sponsors like Bradley and different tackle shops and or manufacturers? and have multiple info sessions and demonstations?

Promote through local papers and tackle shops.....educate the fishermen and the public??    something to make you go hmmmm.....
The only easy day was yesterday

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Fraser Valley Fishing Symposium
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 03:50:26 PM »

Based on what I have witnessed on the rivers I would say yes but I think it would be difficult to get people to participate in revieving the knowledge that is out there. We see it all the time, someone offers up advice on the river in a very respectable way and the one that needs it blows it off or claims to not understand english. I still think it should be mandatory to be able to identify different species at 100% and anything less then that you do not get to fish. You should also know the regs.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »

I agree, but the symposium would go beyond that in my vision..the stuff you are suggesting would be presented subliminally, or placed within some presentation. DFO participation would be great. The key is that not all the information is geared to everyone, but everyone can attend and get something out of it. Booths set up, demos, Q & A...ask the experts ...etc. If done in a professional way, as opposed to mickey mouse setup... it would go a long way to achieving what everyone would like to see on the river.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »

Doesnt the Freshwater Fishing Society already have something similar to what your talking about ?? I know they have it for kids because i have stood there at Green Timbers watching it for a bit more then once actually and they go over salmon and trout species if i remember correctly
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »

I have to say that it surprises me that 227 people viewed this thread but only 9 people voted. I guess that most people are indifferent.