Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New here.  (Read 1394 times)

rgm

New here.
« on: November 29, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what type of rod and reel is best for salmon, steelhead and trout. Also, could you tell me the best places to go to actually catch fish. I don't need gps coordinates or anything but some decent fishing hole locations would be helpful.

Relax, I'm kidding.

Hey all, just wanted to say hello. I joined a couple months ago and have just gotten around to posting now. I am in my mid forties and haven't fished since I was a kid (bass and walleye back east).  I finally decided, after years of putting it off for no particular reason, to start fishing this September. I started out with a basic salmon spinning setup and had so much fun I upgraded my rod two days later. Since then I have gone a little nuts ( but you all know what that's like). I started with a Kufa and a Daiwa. I have since added a Clarus with a Ryobi, a Trophy xl with a sixties era Seldex, a Redington CPX 7wt with a rise 7/8 and I am in the process of sourcing a 4wt fly set up for the smaller things I want to do. I have taken several one on one fly lessons and I am looking at taking at least one or two pin lessons as well. (I suck at casting the pin but I'm working on it haha).  I have purchased waders and a smoker and I have been out at least 20 times in the last three months. To say I have caught the bug is an understatement.

This forum has been an incredible source of information and I just want to say thank you to all of you who stress that there is no better way to figure things out than to just get out there. I have walked dozens of kms and have found a few places that I really like.  I have caught my share of pinks, chum, coho and trout already and I am now gearing up for steelhead. I am really looking forward to standing waist deep in freezing water this winter.

I think the best part about being able to fish is that my four year old daughter has taken an interest in it as well. I get to have some amazing, quality daddy daughter time while teaching her to respect nature. She has already caught her fair share of trout and she has learned that if you kill it, you eat it. She has also gotten quite good at C&R as well.  I think she's up to eight trout this year on her princess rod. She is out fishing me!

So thanks for reading my introduction and I am sure I will be talking to or meeting some of you out there soon.

Tight lines

Robert

arimaBOATER

Re: New here.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 01:23:10 AM »

Good sharing story.
There's just something about getting a "fish on".
It's a "rush".
Unless it's a bullhead caught on a bar rig.

Stay safe as ya stated something about being waist deep in cold water.
Your daughter needs a daddy.

Not long ago a chap was hanging on to the side of his boat in cold water.
His younger neighbour literally jumped into the lake & got the older guy safely to the shore.
Risked his life to save the guy.
Safety first & fishing 2nd.

rgm

Re: New here.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 07:58:51 AM »

Thanks for that. Don't worry, the survival instincts in me are much stronger than my desire to catch something.