Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beads Beads Beads  (Read 7948 times)

243Pete

Re: Beads Beads Beads
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 07:04:24 AM »

How bad of a day are you planning if you're taking 100's of beads to the river? You're doing something seriously wrong if you need that many beads for a day trip. If you're obsessed with taking that much tackle to the river, place the groups of beads in small ziplock bags.
I pack them in a small 5 compartment tackle box about the size of my hand when I'm on the river, bringing hundreds with me is like bringing a small laptop or box, pointless it would be as I don't fish more than 2-5 types at the most and maybe go through 2-4 either from snagging them or the outside gets fairly rough and doesn't look smooth anymore.

I meant if someone bought a fair amount of beads and stored them at home to use a large tackle box with an audioable snap shut, before I used some cheap press lid box I got from a crafts store, it worked fine till I dropped it and the lid popped open. Beads beads rolling on the floor!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 05:27:49 PM »

I pack them in a small 5 compartment tackle box about the size of my hand when I'm on the river, bringing hundreds with me is like bringing a small laptop or box, pointless it would be as I don't fish more than 2-5 types at the most and maybe go through 2-4 either from snagging them or the outside gets fairly rough and doesn't look smooth anymore.

I meant if someone bought a fair amount of beads and stored them at home to use a large tackle box with an audioable snap shut, before I used some cheap press lid box I got from a crafts store, it worked fine till I dropped it and the lid popped open. Beads beads rolling on the floor!

I have visions of opening a stiff snap lid and beads flying everywhere. I think I would still opt for little bags or pill bottles. So have Jensen eggs become a thing of the past? Isn't there an advantage of a soft Jensen egg over a hard bead?

Shinny

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 07:05:19 PM »

1 part jenson egg + 1 part roe + 1 part shrimp = powerball  ;)

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 08:47:30 PM »

Chris, Chris - they're bottom bouncing with beads  - quick, get the camera.  :P

--I presume you're joking given that I am targeting whitefish and no likely expectation of by-catch...given the hook size used.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 09:53:02 PM »

--I presume you're joking given that I am targeting whitefish and no likely expectation of by-catch...given the hook size used.

Oh no, things have gotten so bad that we're bottom bouncing for whitefish? Oh, the humanity!!!

No really - I'm just farting around. Just because someone trickles a bead over the river bed in pursuit of fish doesn't mean they're up to evil acts. Fish how you wish - as long as it's within the regulations.

We used to put stonefly lava onto a size 4 baitholder hook, 4' of leader and about 6" to a sparkplug or tire weight - cast out and slowly bounce in the retrieve for big whitefish in the Columbia river. Caught loads of trout that way as well.

243Pete

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 10:37:59 PM »

I have visions of opening a stiff snap lid and beads flying everywhere. I think I would still opt for little bags or pill bottles. So have Jensen eggs become a thing of the past? Isn't there an advantage of a soft Jensen egg over a hard bead?
Most of the tackle boxes I use have latches that "snap" close, I can see a fairly hard to open lid causing some greif/ ensuing laughter. Careful with the pill bottles or you might accidentally swallow some beads or have some RCMP officer thinking you are carrying some new form of drugs. ;) I don't think Jensen eggs are a thing of the past as I still have and use them from time to time, I just like the beads a little more when it comes to making different kinds of rigs/ presentations.

bobby b

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 04:29:08 PM »

When fishing beads, I fish neutrally buoyant ones near the river bottom and hevi beads 1-2ft off the bottom. I peg them 1 1/2-2" above the hook and pretty near always hook the fish inside the mouth. When I fish Jensen or Mad River eggs, they are right at the hook and if fished too low will sometimes hook the fish on the outside of the mouth, ie: I inadvertently 'flossed' them.

IME...I have caught way more fish with pegged beads than I have ever caught with Jensen eggs ....Ymmv