Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hicks ,Deer and trout lakes  (Read 7926 times)

James

Re: Hicks ,Deer and trout lakes
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 06:34:37 PM »

I have multi fish days pretty much anytime I hit Deer lake . it is the place i take all "first time" fishers , just so there are almost guranteed a fish . Nothin is 100% though ;)

I usually fish with flies . Green/white Half backs , Carey specials . Green baggy shirmp .
Basically fish from shore at the point , or in a belly or pontoon  off the point as well .
Worms are also a good choice too .

Most are small trout , but I have seen a 3lber come out of there just from the right of the dock in the lilly pads ( on a fly )

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 07:14:12 PM »

WARNING

Watch out for the eagle at Trout Lake. My buddy and I used to go there (SCOTTY always OUTPERFORMS ME) Anyway, I hit a really nice fish in the middle of the lake in a belly-boat. This time I was positive I had bragging rights for the big fish of the day. I heard what at first sounded like a train, but I disregarded it. I was busy playing the fish and got it in close. It was tired and about 10 feet away from me. As I deftly unhooked my net, smiling because, just this once, I was king. UNTIL - the eagle that lives in the dead tree at the creek mouth swooped down a few inches from my head and showed me how to land a fish. And yes, I did have to rinse my waders as the big bird was so close I could have touched it if I knew it was coming. The only good thing was Scotty was there to see the spectacle. :o
http://

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 08:09:45 PM »

If you would have played your cards right, you could of had a bird and fish dinner. :) Best part on a eagle is the feet. ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

MrGrey1

• Welcome to Our Trout Float Site!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 10:55:33 PM »

Yes, I like Hicks too... I get some early season hits on my "Czech Nymphs" using sinking line tip... "Attractors and Spratley's" work well on floating line as well, but mostly later in warmer months... Things should improove in couple of weeks as it warms up.

Fish now, rest when you die!
MrGrey1
MrGrey1

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 06:16:09 PM »

If you would have played your cards right, you could of had a bird and fish dinner. :) Best part on a eagle is the feet. ;D

The wingspan on those birds is amazing- especially that close. :o :o :o I finned my way to the shore by the creek mouth and found out the big dead tree was a nest and my fish went to feeding the youngun's there. I didn't feel so bad then and I still have bragging rights.
http://

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »

hey guys, was at deer lake yesterday for first time ever and had constant action throughout the day fishing  chironomids in about 15 feet of water at the far end. The biggest fish was around 15 inches or so. Also wondering if it is possible to drive into trout lake? Passed it on the way up but didnt see any road going in.

colin6101

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 12:35:54 AM »

Nope, no road into trout lake but you aren't allowed to use motors there anyways if my memory serves me right. It does have a small dock to launch boats that can be carried down though.

kid fisherman

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 03:47:06 PM »

well went to trout on Friday after leaving deer due to the wind. had a great time at trout, caught 15 rainbows and cutthroats all weir to small to keep. we fished off the dock using Bobber and worms and eggs. then found spot in the cattails to do some shore fishing. In all had a great day and will be going back.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 05:23:20 PM »

Is there a boat launch at deer? I have been to hicks before but not deer.

kid fisherman

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 06:56:27 PM »

Yup its a nice gravel launch and you can drive down to it

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 08:21:48 AM »

Thanks, I only have a small boat but a launch makes it a lot easier when its just my daughter and I

azafai

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 09:47:29 AM »

was there anyone recently in Hicks Lake or Deer Lake??
any hints or suggestions??
i will be fishing from shore.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:51:20 AM by azafai »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 10:13:13 AM »

Few years ago at Hicks in May we trolled a bunch of different flies around with little luck. 

Then we used worms and dropped them to the bottom (not far from shore) and had hookups all day with cutthroat, some surprisingly large.

troutbum

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 10:34:20 AM »

i've landed some nice cutts out of hicks in the past. thats changed, the campsite is very popular and fishing pressure has increased a great deal.   

kid fisherman

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »

was there anyone recently in Hicks Lake or Deer Lake??
any hints or suggestions??
i will be fishing from shore.
Thanks.

You might beable to rent a canoe at hicks so that may help. If not try shore fishing on the east side at deer by taking the old road trail. Also dont be scared to try trout lake. You might want to buy a fishing bc book lower mainland eddition.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 03:39:42 PM by kid fisherman »