Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proposed Mandatory Wear of PFD  (Read 7911 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Proposed Mandatory Wear of PFD
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »

This argument sounds eerily similar to the ones in the US for motorcycle helmets and seatbelts.  PDF's are not mandated in the US for adults, but they are for kids on vessels under 24 feet.  The cost argument hardly holds water.  Boats are expensive and you can buy a new USCG approved Type 3 vest for 5 bucks.

Reckless people will be reckless regardless of laws anyways, my cousin was in a serious motorcycle crash two years ago, drunk, not wearing his helmet.  He's always been that way and it was time to pay the piper.  You can make the laws but reckless people will still be reckless.  To me it is better to allow people to retain control over their own well being than blanket them in rules and laws that will be broken anyways by those who don't feel like following them.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 04:12:17 PM »

This all sounds well and good, but seldom does one's behavior not effect many others.  Many rescuers and first responders put their lives on the line every day trying to save these reckless people. 

Hook-NM

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 09:48:07 PM »

My daughter is a lifeguard and had to rescue 3 people last week. Lucky for them that they were at the pool with guards on duty. Accidents happen when you least expect and boating generally leaves us on our own if a mishap occurs.

An acquaintance of mine who had a cabin up Indian Arm was making a solo trip there. Heading up under full throttle his steering cable failed and an abrupt turn totalled the boat on some rocks and rendered him unconscious from being thrown onto the same reef.  He was lucky to awake but obviously injured from a collision of that velocity. Who would think a face plant into rocks was lucky? He had no PDF on! Had he been thrown into the water he would not be with us today. So think twice about your discomfort while under power and live to enjoy the water.

J-GLOBAL

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 10:51:46 PM »

I wear my Lifejacket at all times out in my canoe.
But as an adult, I think its my choice, and shouldn't need to be legislated/overseen.

Why stop at that size vessel?  What about on a Ferry?  They obviously sink too.

$.02

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 04:13:24 AM »

I believe it's the speed a boat sink.  Small craft sinks faster and easier than a liner (ferry).

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 03:21:46 PM »

I believe it's the speed a boat sink.  Small craft sinks faster and easier than a liner (ferry).

Hahaha.....life jackets are for people, not boats.   People sink at the same rate whether they fall off a ferry or out of a canoe :)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 04:15:51 PM »

Yes, people sink at same rate.  However, on bigger boat you have more time to 'search' for life jacket and put it on.  On small boat, you don't have that luxury.

bcguy

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 04:57:26 PM »

I'm with Salmon Sam, I dont need a govt body trying to make a law on every little thing in my life.
Every time I turn around in this province, Capt Safety is flying over.
It's always a choice, But I guess we are to stupid to make a choice, it's something govts and governing bodies just cant stand,....must....regulate....all.......behavior...
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »

I'm with Salmon Sam, I dont need a govt body trying to make a law on every little thing in my life.
Every time I turn around in this province, Capt Safety is flying over.
It's always a choice, But I guess we are to stupid to make a choice, it's something govts and governing bodies just cant stand,....must....regulate....all.......behavior...

I'm with SS on that as well, I feel the same way, but the gov't regulates behavior to keep societal "costs" down....not to protect individuals (or our individual freedoms would be paramount).....that and all laws typically cater to the lowest common denominator.

ColinB

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 01:12:00 AM »

My life is my one life and concerns only my direct family and friends so my life is precious and to my direct family my life is precious.

$200 for a life jacket to prevent the loss of my life or any life is a small price to pay.

Nobody gets in my boat not wearing one.

Hopefully those who choose not to use them will not expect others to risk their lives to try to safe their selfish bu**s.

Macho idiots IMHO!!

Colin
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 01:14:26 AM by ColinB »

bcguy

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 08:24:11 AM »

I hear if you wear a helmet while walking down the road, your chances of surviving after being struck by a car greatly increases.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 09:05:47 AM »

Yes, people sink at same rate.  However, on bigger boat you have more time to 'search' for life jacket and put it on.  On small boat, you don't have that luxury.

Actually you do, mine is about two feet from my arm... In a 12 foot boat they can't go far :)

I say if the law goes through, everyone on every sized boat should have to wear one. Fair's fair. And helmets too ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 12:22:30 PM »

Larger boats are regulated by an entirely more restrictive set of safety standards.  Life vests are in plain sight, life boats are readily accessible, radio and radar contact along with a route plan is always on file with the Coast Guard.  If this isn't enough, then sure, mandate wearing life vests on all vessels, but be ready to have radar on your 12' skiff also.   

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »

Actually you do, mine is about two feet from my arm... In a 12 foot boat they can't go far :)

Of course you do.  So you think.  Nice day nice weather on a lake, wind pickups up you capside, panicked boat drag down your life jacket with it, or you get muscle cramp.  So lots of time eh?  ;)

Minds you most people drowned is swimmer.  Over confident is deadly.

Ya because larger boats' captains has to go through more training, and more safety equipment is on board.  It's less likely to run into problems.

What the government should do is for those that does not follow safety recommendation if rescue is required at one point they are responsible for all cost incurred.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »

If the wind picked up and I was afraid I would capsize, id be wearing it, not looking at it...

Common sense, no?

This is the source of the problem, people lack common sense.

Cheers,
Nicole

PS> This did acutally happen to me, once. It was one of the most frightening moments out on the water... The 16 foot boat came close to flipping in a 100K gust of wind... Needless to say, the PFD was on.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 08:27:25 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin