Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why no more updates?  (Read 7995 times)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Re: Why no more updates?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 09:37:03 AM »

Conservation first, F/N food and ceremonial second.
In the case of Sockeye, commercial after this then if any left sportys.

You had "all" better just get over the F/N thing, the new treaty's are giving F/N priority after food and ceremonial.
You are just waiting your time and energy.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 09:44:27 AM »

Conservation first, F/N food and ceremonial second.
In the case of Sockeye, commercial after this then if any left sportys.
I had actually thought it was stated as FN FS&C then rec then commies no?  I seem to recall the poor guys that make a living being at the bottom of the pile.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 10:10:19 AM »

Not for Sockeye.
In no time there will be no Commercial group as we know it, as there licenses are being bought out and used in treaty negotiations.
It will evolve to a F/N commercial fishery in the long term.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 10:15:41 AM »

From what I remember seeing, there are quite a few commie licences that have been owned by natives for years... A fairly decent percentage actually.

Does anyone know more about this? I saw it on the CBC news a few years back.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »

B.C. sockeye dwindling

By Scott Simpson
Vancouver Sun

Friday, August 10, 2007

If you're planning to put some fresh, wild British Columbia sockeye on the barbecue this summer, you'd better act quickly.

Lower Mainland seafood retailers said on Friday that their supply of the prized salmon is dwindling as north coast fisheries wind down - and the decline of this year's Fraser River sockeye run is so acute that it cannot  withstand a commercial harvest.

On Friday, the Pacific Salmon Commission said the Fraser sockeye migration continues to be far lower than expected - 1.2 million summer-migrating sockeye versus a preseason projection of 3.3 million - and recommends the Fraser remain closed to commercial fishing.

The B.C. Salmon Marketing Council plans a major push later this month to promote other salmon species, notably pink and chum salmon which are apparently not experiencing the same population decline as their higher-grade cousins.

Scientists with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans are attributing this year's Fraser sockeye crash, which has shut down the commercial fishery and curtailed recreational angling and aboriginal food fishing, to poor ocean survival.

Seafood shops around the region would usually be offering fresh Fraser sockeye by now, but they've been relying on supplies coming from commercial fisheries on the Skeena and Nass river systems.

As those fisheries draw to a close, some shops plan to switch to other species, while others will shift to frozen fish.

"The other options are pinks and chums but I don't sell those species," said Malcolm McMillan, who operates Inlet Seafoods at Port Moody's Newport Village.

McMillan was one of the first B.C. retailers to stop selling farmed salmon on the premise that it is not an environmentally sustainable product.

But he said a salmon's pedigree is not the only determinant.

"Pinks and chums are just not good enough for me. They are lower end stuff. Although they are wild, I'd rather get into a frozen sockeye or spring than sell a fresh pink."

He also sells fresh chinook - but the supply of those fish is also in decline.

The standard market price for for fresh sockeye is $10 a pound and without an infusion of Fraser fish, that's where the price will stay.

"I think it's been a tough year for local fishermen, but on the retail end I think the only thing that's been affected is the price point - and it hasn't dropped this year," said Dave Moorehead of Longliner Seafoods at Granville Island.

Kosta Zogaris, operator of Lonsdale Quay's Salmon Shop, is still clinging to hope that the sockeye runs are simply migrating much later than usual, but says he'll switch to fresh chum and pink if that's what the fishermen are bringing in.

"I think it's a good opportunity for people to start appreciating other fish," Zogaris said. "Pinks are awesome on the barbecue and they are undervalued."

Salmon Marketing Council general manager Grant Snell  notes that some of B.C.'s top dining establishments, including award-winning C Restaurant, list pink salmon on the menu.

"I don't want the minimize the impact when something like this happens," Snell said. "It's devastating to the people in the industry that were relying on it,  the fishermen, the processors and retailers who may specialize in the sockeye. But the good news to the consumer is that they will still be able to go to the store and get a wild salmon."

First nations up and down the Fraser drainage, meanwhile, are struggling through the worst year on record for their food fishery.

"It's the first year in history when the aboriginal food fishery is in danger of being shut down," said Ernie Crey, senior advisor to the Sto:lo Tribal Council.

He said the impact is "really profound" on small aboriginal communities that rely each summer on Fraser sockeye as an inexpensive source of food.

However, conservationist Craig Orr of Watershed Watch said the problem is so acute this year that even an aboriginal food fishery is unwise.

"The continued low returns of summer sockeye remain extremely alarming. Any fishing will only exacerbate conservation concerns," Orr said.
ssimpson@png.canwest.com

© Vancouver Sun

So they still have openings, I guess the Sockeye aren't in danger of extintion, or is this there "last supper" :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 12:04:28 PM »

From what I remember seeing, there are quite a few commie licences that have been owned by natives for years... A fairly decent percentage actually.

Does anyone know more about this? I saw it on the CBC news a few years back.

Cheers,
Nicole

It is about 25% of the fleet.

It will change to 100% as the treaty's are resolved and the old commercial fishermen get out due to age and $.

That is not necessarily bad, but it could be.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 08:34:31 PM »

It will be real sad if FN eventually replaces the old commies. The commies took lots of fish but basically they work with DFO  and honour closures. The other group may have some members complying, but we all know many don't and can defy DFO during closures. That is scary to think the future commies will defy DFO and DFO can't do anything about that. You really think the Fraser fish can stand endless raping of the fish by drift nets days and nights legally and illegally?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 10:37:31 PM »

Nuggy, are you saying that flossers have no right to say anything about the real danger to the Fraser fish stock - those illegally placed massive killing nets? DFO has not indicated clearly the selective method is only for bar-fishing nor have they declared bottom bouncing illegal.  I have not hooked into a soc so my damage to sockeye is zero. Are you sure your heavy lead didn't knock out a few socs? No? Really? How can you be so sure?  ;D  Ok, enough silly talk, back to the big picture.

Don't let your bias overrides the concern of most conscientious fishermen, many of whom are bbers. Focus on the big pictures, unless your small mind cannot see anything big except those who disagree with you. The real threat are those darn nets all over the river, and if those nets are officially for profit as legitimzed by commercial fishing power, then good luck to our fish species. So, stop the bickering and focus on the real culpit.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 11:01:52 PM »

I'm right!
No. I'm right!
I'm ethical!
No. I am!
I conserve!
I conserve more!
My brain is bigger!
No way!
My dead fish is more meaningful!
A dead fish is a dead fish!
Shorten that leader!
No it's legal!

Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.....

Psst, news flash...

AN INTERNET DISCUSSION FORUM IS NOT WHERE CHANGES IN REGULATIONS ARE MADE!!! QUIT WASTING MY BLOODY TIME BY POSTING REPETITIVE USELESS ARGUMENTS THAT I HAVE TO READ, PROCESS, EDIT, AND DELETE.

HAVE A GOOD NIGHT!

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 07:40:03 AM »

Well said Rod.....

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »

Well said Rod. These battles between the cannon balls and the bouncing betties are leading nowhere except disrespect and bad blood to fisherman brotherhood. It is a waste of time of me for sure. I am only responding as a man should when some one fires the first shot at you out of the blue. Never knows why we cannot all fish in peace. If it is possible, some one can write Rod a program to automatically delete any posts with words such as 'flossers' or even any reference of 'snagging' on 'Fraser', that will save you all the troubles.   ;D ;D  Because w/o these derogatory terms, no one needs to fire back in self defense.  ;D

Now back to the serious subject of FN eventually taking over the commercial sector, is there really going to be a reality?  Does that mean fish prices will be substantially reduced?  Well you can only mark up so much in the supermarket if FN are selling them  fish cheap, like $5 per fish to the big chain.  ;D ;D ;D

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 08:24:37 PM »

Now back to the serious subject of FN eventually taking over the commercial sector, is there really going to be a reality?  Does that mean fish prices will be substantially reduced?  Well you can only mark up so much in the supermarket if FN are selling them  fish cheap, like $5 per fish to the big chain.  ;D ;D ;D

Right... Jim pattison did not get as rich as he is by giving things away... If you believe store prices will go down if the fish are from FNs, I have a great bridge to sell ya, it's a bit of a fixer upper, but good price  ;D

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 09:53:19 PM »

Wow, Nicole. Where is that bridge? The Minnesota one? Makes you wonder when our bridges on the Vedder or the Chelhalis will go like that.   ;D