Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it just me...pt. 2...  (Read 8052 times)

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
Is it just me...pt. 2...
« on: February 25, 2007, 04:35:37 PM »

Ok. I took a bit of ribbing for being called a sheit disturber for my other thread..is it just me..pt. 1..but I think I've got to comment on a few things I've seen on these boards recently---and one I'm going to call total BS!

It would seem people are very adept at weighing fish 25% +++ too heavy on these boards.

I was out for a drive the other day( the wack from Vancouver, and I made a few stops at some of the usual spots and saw one guy hook a 6 lb skinny steel, and then proceed to call his fish a "big fish" in his post..big? by what stretch of your imagination?
Also from looking at some of the posts and pictures there's a few people calling their fish WAY too big!

In the fall, it's a laugher seeing people call their fish so much larger than it actually is.

Some general observations:

5 lbers are called 8 lbers
10 lbers are called 14 lbers.
15 lbers are called 20+++
25 lbers are called over 30+++
30 lbers are called 40 +++.
40 lbers are called well over 50+++

Same kind of stuff goes for guys in the chuck.

No need to stretch or grow your fish folks--you just have the greater part of a larger community of vets shaking their head at you.

Don't let my post take away from your enjoyment of fishing. (I'm sure you won't).

The other thing which I find offensive is the ribbing a people get for not taking pics of their catch---GET A LIFE!
I watched a couple of guys fiddle with the camera et al while trying to get a shot of their fish---then proceed to have to revive the fish for a couple of minutes until it has enough oxygen to move it's fins.

Now it's at the point where people are feeling obligated to snap pictures of their fish so they can post them with their reports!

You don't see this type of behaviour on other boards, and I find it disgusting and less than sporting. Grow up people!

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Ribwart

Re: Is it just me...pt. 2...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 04:49:37 PM »

It's not just you FM, but it does happen on other boards too, in some cases more often, in other cases to a lesser extent. People who frequent sites like these tend to feel a sense affirmation, reward and satisfaction from the recognition and interaction they get from their posts. Realistically, we likely all get these very same feelings at some point or another, be it from a fishing report we've posted, or bringing up a good point or topic in some other section. These feelings pass over time, and given a few days or so, many internet fishermen will proceed to go through the same process all over again, looking for their next fix. Others, in time, will realize the reward is not in the post or responses to it,  but in the experiences that inspired them to post. At this point I think the light turns on, and the priority becomes pursuing the sport, learning about it, sharing your own knowledge and witnessing others enjoyment of fishing, not the posting itself.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:53:34 PM by Ribwart »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »

So what if they are claims are bigger than actual?  At least these people are willing to post a fishing report.  Not to say the least compared with some that just want to know what's happening on the flows but has not contributed.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 05:06:18 PM »

I personally don't really care how big a Steelhead is.  Besides, at times, who are we to say anything about how big a fish is.  Were we there to see it? Were we there when it was weighed in?  Really doubt it.  Instead of people whining about how big a fish is, which in the whole grand scheme of things means nothing, how about you spend your time more constructively and get out and catch one yourself. 
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Ribwart

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 05:18:05 PM »

I should add to my previous post what I thought was implied by it's wording...

I wouldn't want what I have just said to be misinterpreted as some attempt to dissuade people from posting, just an effort to point out  that sometimes the posting, the size of the fish, or the recognition people seek in doing so, seems to take priority over what really drove us to make the trek to the river in the first place, the act of fishing. Anyone misunderstanding my point please consider this above all else. I have witnessed from time to time anglers experience fabulous, beautiful days out fishing only to dwell on some sense of disappointment that they weren't able to get pics for their post, or uncertainty as to whether they should post because they released a fish without a pic, fearing they would be doubted by some if not many. Priorities. Therein lies the point.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 05:22:41 PM »

Oh ya, one more thing.  Isn't bragging rights come with fishing?  ;D ;)

Ribwart

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 05:32:29 PM »

BwiBwi,
I don't know if you've directed that question at me or to FM, but sure, bragging rights apply I guess, there's nothing necessarily wrong with that.  ;D  If it is in someones nature to brag, then by all means they are entitled to do so when they feel the urge.:)

Like I said before, my point lies in an anglers priorities. If I found myself going fishing hoping that I could brag later, or found I was considering a day a failure if I didn't get a fish, or pics of one to post when I got home, then I would take a long hard look at where my priorities lay. That's all.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 05:57:14 PM by Ribwart »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 05:50:39 PM »

Not directing at anyone Ribwart.  There's just a few old saying that show fisherman has the tendancy to brag.

The fish that got away is aways the biggest right  ;)

Ribwart

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 05:51:48 PM »

...and the brightest! ;)

Having said that, it is not in my nature to brag, and I hope some of the younger generations of anglers don't place too high a priority on  their hook up rate, or whether they post a lot, or get recognition for their posts. I feel there are far greater rewards to fishing than that, and if that were all there were to it, I wouldn't be doing it...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 06:00:43 PM by Ribwart »

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 06:56:14 PM »

Well..there's a few things which I dirtied in my original post.

1. The credibility of the report is drawn into question when the weight of the fish is so drastically off---so there's no telling what other parts of the report have been embellished.

2. The ribbing of members who post reports without pictures is wrong, unsportmanlike, and uncalled for and reflects badly on no one else but you.

3. The practice of posting pictures has turned into something else than just a "for the moment" and love of the moment and more than just a "share the moment"--and like a couple of other people have already pointed out---the need for attention and recognition and "ego stroking".

4. You should be fishing for no one else than yourself and not the regard of other forum members.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 07:07:41 PM »

Peronally I dont care about the credibility of a report. I take a report for what its worth. I dont determine where I am going to fish based on other people's reports. I read them out of interest and not so much to get tips from. If people report they caught a 15lb fish and it is actually 10-11lbs who cares? If they post a picture or not makes no difference to me. It is all up to the original poster on what they want to type and whether or not they want to post a pic. I dont care what others are going to say when I post a report as I just take pride in my own reports and I am 100% truthful in what I write. Whether or not others want to be totally truthful is up to them.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 07:17:34 PM »

I agree, I just shake my head though...goes along with all the "rolled fish" etc. that has already been discussed...here's a simple solution if anyone cares to use it...I measure my fish and put the numbers in here.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/resourcecenter/weightcalculator.htm

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 07:24:01 PM »

I really don't care if they post it as 10, 15 20lbs when it is not even close. They are the ones that have to live with the lies day in and day out. It really does not concern me. I read the reports and that's that.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 07:48:21 PM »

I don't ever exaggerate the weight of my fish. They are all over 20 lbs.  ;D

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 07:52:26 PM »

I agree, I just shake my head though...goes along with all the "rolled fish" etc. that has already been discussed...here's a simple solution if anyone cares to use it...I measure my fish and put the numbers in here.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/resourcecenter/weightcalculator.htm

That webiste is stilla round ??? I wa son that site LONG LONG time ago , I forgot about it till you posted it Paul

I've had that one stored for years now..still works too, though lately it's gathering cobwebs from me.. :-[