Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 15th 2010  (Read 1114 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Tidal Fraser River, September 15th 2010
« on: September 15, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »

Got out for an hour today on the high tide and got a whole lot of nothing!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 15th 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »

I on the other hand, got a whole lot of something. ;D

I took the fly rod out again today after yesterday afternoon's success. The wind was minimal and the surface was completely flat, so the condition couldn't be any better. Not a whole lot happening at peak tide but a few fish started splashing on the surface once water started to move out. For a few weeks now, I have been watching smolts pecking items on the surface. The rises today in the shallows looked a bit different. They were slightly bigger, possibly small anadromous cutthroat trout? I took all my dries out of the box yesterday, so trying to get one on the surface was out of the question. Plan B was to tie up a small nymph and cast it almost parallel to the reed line. The first cast had a gentle pull so I didn't even strike. The second cast further out into the deep had a much bigger pull. A cutthroat trout came splashing on the surface as I set the hook, but it set itself free soon after when I was messing around with all the loose fly line. A few more casts later, I felt a few more gentle pulls and out came a peamouth chub, and another one, and another one. This went on for about 10 minutes before they turned off again. First chubs on the fly, something that I aimed to do this summer so the trip was very satisfying.

gofishon

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »

I went out to Sandheads today for another look at all those sockeye. The schools are fairly concentrated, but there are still plenty there. Lots of bright fish in the mix ;D. Funny to see the guys who obviously can't catch them on the line and are zigzagging around with their landing nets out over the bow trying to scoop fish ::). No problem catching our limit. There are lots of biters around the jumpers. So many commercial trollers out working to get their quotas. One seiner (test fishery???) still out and a few gillnetters along the jetty (First Nations???) When will this "run of a lifetime" end ????

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:45:03 PM »

Funny to see the guys who obviously can't catch them on the line and are zigzagging around with their landing nets out over the bow trying to scoop fish.

This needs to be on youtube  :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:44:05 PM »

A few weeks ago while watching them jumping and First Nations netting them, a lady in one of the netting boats stuck a landing net out and one fish almost got into it. It hit the edge and bounced off. ;D

gofishon

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:18:34 AM »

There was some guy in a 16-18 foot bright red boat who was trolling gear, but was so busy filming the schooling jumping sockeye that he kept crossing in front of me and cutting behind me. So annoying >:(. He couldn't troll in a straight line because he was so "focused" on the jumpers. Maybe his footage will end up on Youtube. I hope my colourful language wasn't recorded :-X.