Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This Could be a Gem - Cane Fly Rod  (Read 9228 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: This Could be a Gem - Cane Fly Rod
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 10:35:11 AM »

If the center core has dried out it could snap like a dry twig under load (learned this one the hard way).

Split cane rods don't have 'a core'. They are made of 6 tapered strips of cane that are glued together. The cane is cured (dried like firewood) often for years (most makers of cane rods have very old stock since Tonkin Cane is hard to get and for a generation was all but unattainable as it comes from China) and then it is heated with flame to temper the wood. Warped tips can be straightened again with heat - usually a wood alcohol burner will do. Moisture is far more damaging to cane than dry. Cheers.

So what's the deal with cane rods besides nostalgic. Are there positive characteristics of cane not found in graphite?

Cane has very good internal damping (it doesn't continue to vibrate after it is flexed). Graphite has that too. Graphite is superior on most levels though many people claim cane has a feel and a rythmn other materials lack. Cane is hand made and done by someone with both talen and care is beautiful to look at. It is much heavier than either graphite or even glass.  FWIW graphite while easy to store can be easily damaged and I think cane likley withstands knocks and bumps that will otherwise bruise graphite and result in failure later.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:10:02 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 06:37:15 PM »

Sorry to offend you I guess my 23 years of self taught repairing is all wet.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 08:05:37 AM »

I'm not offended but sometimes things need to be put straight. ::)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 08:18:21 AM »

FWIW graphite while easy to store can be easily damaged and I think cane likley withstand knocks and bumps that will otherwise bruise graphite and result in failure later.

found this link on another site:

check out the video:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/37759/t/durability-test-video.html

Brian

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 10:13:12 AM »

wow. now i'm interested.  oh noes :( there goes the vacation budget

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 11:18:22 AM »

found this link on another site:

check out the video:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/37759/t/durability-test-video.html

I AM IMPRESSED!!!! I have a garbage (clean of course) full of old cane parts; thank you for motivating to take up cane building again.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"