Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lamiglas and waranty... Should I buy one?  (Read 5411 times)

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
Lamiglas and waranty... Should I buy one?
« on: October 03, 2007, 12:31:37 PM »

I was thinking of getting a halibut/bottom fish rod for next year and thought a good one to get would be a fiberglass one just in case it gets bumped around.  I've heard that lamiglas makes good rods and they have the lifetime contitional waranty.

Has anyone ever tried to send in a rod to be repaired/replaced to lamiglas and what are your opinions? Thanks
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

allwaysfishin

Re: Lamiglas and waranty... Should I buy one?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:39:54 PM »

gone the way of the dinosaur... hehehe
from my years in the tackle industry.... lamiglass sales at the shops i worked at fell through the floor..... not sure why... may have had something to do with warranty service.... not sure. Talk to LEN at Berry's Bait.... he does the orders and warranty for thier shops lamiglas inventory and dispite his sometimes gruff nature..... he knows his sh*t when it comes to these rods.
there was a local rep for lamiglas..... can't remember who it was now.
They do make very nice glass rods thats for sure.

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:51:08 PM »

Thanks Tom!
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

charles

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 12:52:20 PM »

Pat:

I would get the butterfly rod from shimano.  They are not expensive ($99 US), but they are light and powerful...  Check one out and judge for yourself.  Lots of tuna boats are using that rods.  But if you want quality and look and would like to spend a little more, you can't beat the quality of Black Steel from Seeker.

Shimano does have good customer service...  I know I told you about that deal :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 01:49:45 PM »

I have a number of lami's and I love 'em!  I would say they perform as nicely as my sages.  I have built a number of their blanks up and actually broke one on the fraser...I was traveling down to Cannon Beach so I decided to do the warranty thing myself...they simply stuck a new blank in my hand.  I had fished that rod hard for 3-4 years so to get a new blank, well I was as happy as a pig in ****!

I toured the plant and spent 20-30 minutes chatting with one of the higher ups in the sales department (national sales manager as I recall).  We discussed warranty issues (timeliness mostly) hurting his business north of the boarder.  This was 2 summers back and since then I believe they have partnered with a local distributor to facilitate warranties etc.

All I can tell you is that I really like their rods.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 02:01:58 PM »

I've never had any trouble with Lamiglas and their warranty.  All I had to do was bring it to berrys and they took care of it for me for 30 bucks.  Mind you all my lamis were certified pros and not all lamis have lifetime warranties.  Ditto on Shimano having good customer service.  And the best thing is, the warranty center is close by near the pattulo bridge.  The girl that handles the claims is quite cute as well!

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 02:17:56 PM »

HHmmm... hard to decide. 

I"m not sure what the waranty is for the other companies but so far it seems that lamiglas is a reputable company with good service
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 05:48:02 PM »

HHmmm... hard to decide. 

I"m not sure what the warranty is for the other companies but so far it seems that lamiglas is a reputable company with good service
It's a smart move to check warranties these days.

Seeker rods as mentioned are great but offer no support in Canada you'd be taking it to Blaine to mail it south if anything went wrong.

I checked the Lamiglas site-are their bottom fishing rods made from fiberglass?

I thought they would be a composite like so many others.

bamboo

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 06:02:26 PM »

A good rod for the money

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 07:12:02 PM »

gone the way of the dinosaur... hehehe
from my years in the tackle industry.... lamiglass sales at the shops i worked at fell through the floor..... not sure why... may have had something to do with warranty service.... not sure. Talk to LEN at Berry's Bait.... he does the orders and warranty for thier shops lamiglas inventory and dispite his sometimes gruff nature..... he knows his sh*t when it comes to these rods.
there was a local rep for lamiglas..... can't remember who it was now.
They do make very nice glass rods thats for sure.

Tom Johannsen? I think he's the lamiglass rep.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 07:32:57 PM »

I've got a couple lami's..and I really like them...but their warranty dept. is the sh*t's....I had one break near the tip landing a big fish and sent it in...They said that if they inspected it and it was deemed a failure in the rod and not abuse they would fix it...They said it was  rod failure and they'd repair it for free...So, that sounds good right? I asked the time frame and was told ten days...Well, that ten days ended up near two months and a couple weeks...I was calling nearly every week by then to see when I'd get it back...Always the same story..."Almost done, you should see it by the end of the week" I talked to my fly shop (before they closed down here) and the owner said he wouldn't carry lami's anymore because of the same thing and too many pissed off customers...
Well, that's about it, I think they are very nice sticks and if you are OK with the wait for repair times then go for it...good quality at an affordable price...

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 08:40:04 PM »

I've heard the same thing about bad service in the past hopefully that's changed,

Some may remember back when St Croix had a guy who was really unreliable as rep well they heard about it-took a while-and ditched the bum. ;D

So things can and do change.

FWIW I've heard the same story of poor service about both Loomis and Sage.

charles

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 09:08:07 PM »

I did pretty well with Gloomis and Shimano.  I sent both broken rods to them. 
Shimano - drove across the bridge and got a new one... no charge.
Gloomis - They have a rep. in east coast now so you don't have to send your broken rod to Washington anymore.  Within a week, I got my new rod. 

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 11:03:10 PM »

Sounds great! thanks for the info guys.

Well, it seems that I've now decided! Thanks
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »

I broke my Lami Sturgeon rod (Big Fish series) trying to pull a fish through a snag. I snapped the rod right in the middle. Took it down to Washington, they handed me a new rod across the counter. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.