Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fish jumping in the boat? have you had this happen?  (Read 3357 times)

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
fish jumping in the boat? have you had this happen?
« on: August 07, 2007, 05:12:03 PM »

I just came back from Kamploops and had pretty good results.
The fishing was streaky but when the bite was on it was great!
One evening I was out on the lake and overheard a fellow anger mentioning a pattern that he was cathing fish on so I tied one on.
Sure enough, within minutes one of my fly rods bent back deeply into the water and a large trout started peeling line. I grabbed my rod from its holder and caught up to the fish stripping line in. This fish started back towards the boat and surfaced. When it surfaced, I could see its dark dorsal and tail fin sticking out of the water and immediately knew that this was a nice sized trout. Oddly enough, this fish rolled over on its tummy as it neared the boat, then dove under the boat, did the same kind of roll and then wrapped itself arouond the anchor line and broke off. I estimate this troust would have been one of my bigger catches for the year and probably about a 4-5 lb fish. I was later told that when a fish does that funny fatigued type of roll over that it means it was probably caught at some time earlier in the day.
So the funny thing was, while I was putting on a new leader and thinking about what could have been with this lost fish - my second rod (to the right of me) dives down deeply and I know a second fish is on! Just as I'm about to grab the rod I hear a huge BANG! Looking around me at and in the front of my boat and boats around me I don't know what it is. It was loud enough that I even had other anglers looking at my boat. I stand up and I then realize that in the front section of my boat - the fish that was on my second rod had managed to jump into the boat - so it must have cleared the gunnels or about close to 2 feet of vertical space to land where it did...lol
Just wondering if anything like this has happened to anyone else - I figure its almost a once in a lifetime sorta of deal...lol... and considering I had lost the first fish... the second one was a gimme.
I quickly finshed fixing the leader on the first rod and threw out the line with the newly attached fly - and before it even finished sinking - I had another fish on that rod. Action was like this till it got dark.
The last fish I lost and broke off took my fly jumped and cleared about two feet of water and then dove under the boat and did the same thing on the other side - and then broke off at the fly.
Out of the six hits I only landed two but I had one of the funnest times and best memories that I'll get to keep forever. Here's some pics!

The one that 'didn't' get away...

mess

Re: fish jumping in the boat? have you had this happen?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 06:44:58 PM »

This year up at Paska lake but just a small one 6"

wagz

• Can"t get enough!!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 07:16:50 PM »

White spring jack in the Harrison River, and a small coho at the mouth of the Capilino R. ...  Both released!

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:49:30 PM »

Krazy Kamloops trout  ::)  Thats happened to me 3 times actually. The first time was at the same lake e36blue was fishing at, hooked a nice fish, than a splash and chaos in the front of the boat. The other time 2 fish jumped in the boat within a 10 minute period, a hooked fish jumped in the boat first. Than a totally random non-hooked fish jumped in the boat 10 minutes later  ;D  I have had plenty of close ones too, trout hitting the sides or bottom of the boat, leaping over rods that are hanging over board and jumping over my fly line like a skipping rope.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 08:18:49 PM »

On two occasions I have witnessed cohos jumping into cartoppers off the mouth of the Capilano River.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 09:26:38 PM »

at tunkwa lake rainbow once jumped into my lap while fishing in a belly boat. funny thing was that was the only fish i saw that day aside from the thousands jumping around me. it was released not b/c i let it go but because i couldn't handle the slippery guy on my belly boat skirt.
my buddies didn't believe me until i took them back there another year and one trout hit my buddies shoulder while paddling a canoe.

I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 07:00:10 AM »

closest I have come is a 6ft (approx) sturgeon jumping 2-3 feet behind the boat...this fish was not hooked and ended up hitting the tip of my sturgeon rod with his tail on re-entry....

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 12:26:49 PM »

It happened to me couple weeks ago, the back rod goes, and its about 50 pulls down, and my guest tried to catch up the slack, and the coho break surface onces, keep charging the boat, jump onces far away the boat, then the second jump, the silver bullet cleared the water about 5 ft away, and stright into the boat...  I have heard it happened before but its the first to me...

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 12:46:12 PM »

steelhead where you guiding?

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 12:42:09 AM »

what was the 'magic' fly that u tied up? ;D