Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: one year of fishing in BC  (Read 1458 times)

frenchy

one year of fishing in BC
« on: November 18, 2006, 03:49:17 PM »

So, I am here for almost one year already.

What did I catch during this year?
Steelhead
Rainbow
Cutthroat
Whitefish
Bull trout/Dolly
Chinook (Salt)
Coho
Chum
Sokeye (Salt)
Dogfish
Lingcod
Halibut
Rockfish
I think that’s it. 

What did I really enjoy?
Steelhead hunts of course, even if I had a difficult start. I am used to fish very small streams (10 feet wide) for brown trouts, so I needed some adaptation. It was even more difficult giving that when I went to a fishing shop to buy the steelhead gear the guy sold me a fly rod and reel, telling me it is the way it is here… So I fished with the fly rod during December-January without knowing what I was doing. I changed for the gear rod and a couple of weeks later (with some help), I started to catch fish and it was really a lot of fun (I hooked 17 fish).

What did I miss?
Mainly sturgeon fishing and interior lake fishing, I think. I hope I will enjoy that next year.

I did not enjoy Salmon fishing that much. I did not manage to hook a single red spring and even during the fall, I find it not that easy to catch fish. Even the chums that are known to be very easy to catch are, IMO, not very aggressive. Giving how many fish are in one run at the same time, your leader may be refused by dozens of fish before one fish take it. Some days I have difficulties to have a single bite. Moreover, salmon fishing seasons are really shorts, a couple of weeks, and if you do not know where to go according to the weather, you miss the season.
But perhaps do I have these difficulties because I do not use roe. I do not know

What really surprised me?
The crowd!!! When I was planning to come here, I was dreaming about remote rivers with nobody but bears and eagles around… When someone fish before you on the little stream I am used to fish, you have to wait at least one hour before starting fishing if you want to have a good chance to hook some fish, so when I saw the crowd on the Vedder, I was really scared. Still now, I do not like to fish near someone, I never start to fish a run someone is already fishing and when there is someone who comes and starts the fish the run near me I quickly move to another run.
Something else really surprised me. When I arrived, the first thing I did was to buy a map and to look for nice streams. Not difficult around Vancouver. I saw some nice looking streams like the Pitt but I quickly realised that there is no easy access to most of the rivers…This was really new for me.

Here we are, one year of fishing in BC.