Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ~~~Truck Advise~~~  (Read 5083 times)

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
~~~Truck Advise~~~
« on: March 07, 2005, 08:37:20 PM »

Seriously concidering purchasing a 1991 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat 460ci 4x4. This truck is absolutly MINT! 150,000 orig kM.and original owner New Michelins, shocks, full load. But I just want to know if anyone here has owned one, and the pros & cons of thes rigs, ie, trannys, front end quirks etc. Thanks in advance.

I'm usually a Chevy guy, but they seem to rust out so damn fast. So I think I'll stick with a Ford.

kermode58

Re: ~~~Truck Advise~~~
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 10:23:07 PM »

wow!!! That's a big truck. pomeranians look out ( St' Bernards too)
Sorry Randy heard the whole story and couldn't help myself.
Great Truck but I would look for a diesel . This truck will burn twice what the new jet boat goes through
HERE fishy,fishy,fishy
HERE fishy,fishy,fishy

little fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 12:45:52 AM »

It all depends what you are going to use the truck for, ie towing. Some of the Ford trucks came with the old C6 transmissions which are diehards and some came with the new electronic transmissions which are know to blowup if pushed too hard. The twin I Beam front end are very expensive to align as well as getting them done right. I would also check the frame, Ford trucks had weak frames from 86-94. As for GMC/CHEV trucks rusting out faster than Fords, no so I have both over the last 30 years and I always go back to Chevy they are built better and cheaper to maintain. That's my two cents

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 01:01:53 AM »

See alot of Ford trucks on the road. Some even works  ;D

Randog

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 05:59:33 AM »

wow!!! That's a big truck. pomeranians look out ( St' Bernards too)
Sorry Randy heard the whole story and couldn't help myself.
Great Truck but I would look for a diesel . This truck will burn twice what the new jet boat goes through

I've heard injector pumps are VERY expensive when need replacing, and Diesel cost more that gas now. As far as burning more fuel than the jet boat, thats simply imposible. That sled can chew up $100.00 in gas PDQ. ::)

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 06:40:26 AM »

I had a 1981 f250 with a 460 (carb) got 430,000 before it thru a rod, bought a f150 (94) this thing has nickle and dimed me to death.my buddy bought a 250 with the 460 no engine problems but he has gone thru two transmissisions and 1 transfer case.has just had a tune up new wires etc. brakes and new hub kit, $2000.00 approx. our nieghbor has a chev with a duramax and he just had to spend $3100 on the engine. I coudn't tell you what I'd buy if I had too seems like they all have problems.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 06:42:30 AM »

Randog,

If you're going to be guiding, I suggest you get into a SuperCrew with the fullsize 4-doors so adults can fit in the back. It would seem more practical.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 09:08:38 AM »

My dad had an F250 with the 460.  Tons O' Power.  No mechanical problems at all.  Rust was the issue, but it was a 1986.

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 12:13:20 PM »

I definately agree on the extended cab with four doors. What about something like this:
http://www.buysell.com/showad.asp?id=41339996

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 12:32:18 PM »

That truck is going to get 8-10mpg. Compare that to 13-15mpg for a 351 of the same year. Figure out how much more that truck is going cost over a year based on your annual milage. Your good deal may be only short lived. Remember with the heavier motor you'll burn up more front brakes - big deal. Tires will go quicker. With an empty truck the tires will tend to spin out more often - everything will just cost a little more. The truck doesn't have much mileage for the age and assuming it has no hits - ICBC, do you know why? Every thing is heavy duty and it's in mint shape - it's probably a good deal and will last a long time. It will just be expensive to operate per mile/km.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 04:43:37 PM »

I don't know anything about your particular truck, Randy, but personally went through (2 years ago) with the diesel vs gas dilemna. If you do the math, you need to drive mega miles before a diesel pays for itself..if it ever does. I went with the gas. As far as which make, the advice I had was to go with the model whose dealer you have the most confidence in. For that reason I stayed away from Dodge.
Sound like a great truck.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Randog

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 06:32:11 PM »

Took her for a good spin tonight, what a sweet truck, she's been babied from the get go, this guy really took care of her. New alternator, rad, battery, tires shocks the list goes on.... Everything was looking good, I had my $2,000.00 cash deposit ready and then I figured I should try to sit in the back seat, well I'm 6'2" 245lbs. and I think the back seat was made for small children only, I don't think even Lil' Randog could fit back there. If this truck was a crew cab she'd be sitting in my driveway right now.

Someones going to get a great deal :o I took some pictures with mt phone/cam I'll try to post them.