Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pontoon Boat  (Read 8214 times)

Moby Dick

Pontoon Boat
« on: February 20, 2005, 10:58:25 PM »

I have decided to buy a pontoon boat. I think it would open up a whole new world of fishing in terms of the access it gives you to previously unreachable water. Plus I can see it being pretty fun just drifting a river by itself. Does anyone have any tips on key things I should look for? Are you glad you bought one? I have done some internet research and had a good look at all of the boats at the fly fishing show, however would like to know what experienced users would recommend. I would want to use it for drifting rivers and lake fishing. How well do they handle white water? I wouldn't be drifting any class 5 rivers or anything, I am just wondering what their limits are on what they can do safely. Would like to use it on rivers such as the Vedder, Thompson, Stamp, Nitinat, Cowichan etc.

From what I have learned already it seems I would want welded seams and a stainless steel frame.

Cheers

Addicted To Steel

Re: Pontoon Boat
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 01:57:28 PM »

Mobey Dick;

I own a Bucks Bag South Fork. I love the boat. I have used it on quite a few rivers, including some white water. The rivers you mentioned would suite this type of pontoon well. My boat is not too big or too little. The problem with large ones is maneuvering through tight boulders on smaller rivers, or canyon areas. My boat has welded seams and a stainless frame, the boat I think only weighs around 40lbs or so. I have packed it around a lot. I recommend if you purchase one, practice on some safe, slower water first, then move up from there. There is a lot to do with timing when leaning how to maneuver through white water or seam changes. I wear a helmet, a tight belt on waders, and a mustang life jacket collar which has an emergency inflater cord attached to a CO2 canister in the vest. I have done some nasty white water where the helmet saved my my friend. I flipped the boat and smacked my head on a boulder once, the bike helmet saved my my friend.  Luckily I keep a teather rope attached to me and the boat with a quick release snap buckle. When I gained my composure I made it to shore as well as my boat. Some people recommend quick release ropes, others don't. A worker from Chehalis hatchery, Dana, used to run a white water boating business. He told me a story about a bad situation which can arise from the use of ropes attaching you to the boat. He told me that on one trip he was on in a large Zodiac, filled with people.  The boat hit dead on into a large boulder in the middle of some hairy white water. Everyone was thrown out of the boat. The person who was wearing the rope got thrown on one side of the large rock and the boat went on the other. Unfortunately this rope did not have a quick release snap. The pressure of the water pushing the boat down one side and the person down the other quickly drowned and severed the persons body in half. Everyone else was OK, but they lost their boat for a while until another group retrieved it for them.  Holy crap eh! Well, needless to say, I use a quick release snap when in dangerous areas. Even so,  I am still a little weary about using it.
  The main thing is to practice lots. I do quite a bit of white water, canyon fishing, so I'm used to that, but that is definitely the extreme end of things. The rivers you named are quite fine. The Vedders section which I would not recommend pontooning if you are just learning is Tamahi. Large boulders and folding "pillows" of white water make home in this section. The key is to know the area you are going to float through. When in doubt, get out and walk the boat down with a rope. I've had to do that plenty of times. The Thompson has lots of great pontoonable water, and also lots of ugly stuff. Another good pontoon trip, which Brian from West Coast tackle in Vancouver often does is the Fraser for Salmon fishing. He goes with some buddies, they park one vehicle up river, and then pontoon down to the other vehicle. They put coolers on the back cargo mesh and rod tubes attached to their pontoons. He said it's a great way to do it.  I've yet to do this trip, but I can't wait to try it. I'm taking my boat up north this year to the Skeena area, I can't wait! I've done the trip with a Zodiac before but I think the pontoon will be much better.

Good luck, and happy paddling.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 02:22:31 PM »

I think I'll stick to a zodiak...  ;D 8) I find you can carry more gear in a zodiak (even though it is a small one), but I don't really know what addiditonal problems a zodiak has on a pontoon, otherwise there'd be more on the rivers.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 03:52:40 PM »

I think the major reason there are not more pontoon boats on the river is that people are hesitant to use them because they feel they may be unsafe. I admit that at first it feels a little awkward sitting up higher than the boat itself. In a Zodiak boat you tend to feel safer sunken in the boat. After a few trips in a pontoon, it is quite comfortable however.
 I have travelled and fished with both zodiacs and pontoons. I will say that I really like the Zodiacs which you can control from a stationary seat in the middle and which has locked in oars which do not rotate. But as far as controlability and reaction time, nothing compares to a pontoon boat. It is like a water skeeter. If you see a boulder or bad section, It only takes a second to react and steer the boat out of harms way. With a Zodiac, it takes multiple paddles and re- aligning to react to a bad situation. Yes, Zodiacs are very stable, and yes, they hold more gear, but each has it's advantages. For a one person operation the pontoon holds more than an adequate amount of gear and is very functionable in many situations. I can fit my air pump, spare clothes, food, fishing equip., and emergency supplies in my saddle bags, and cargo mesh. My buddy Dean has had a Zodiac for a number of years. It is the one we used up North on the Skeena tributaries. After seeing all the places I can go with my pontoon, and seeing the reaction time it saves, Dean has now bought a larger pontoon boat to try out this year.
 Another nice advantage of the pontoon is the ability to just throw it up on the roof racks of a car or truck, strap it down and be off in a matter of minutes.
 If more people tried them, more people I'm sure would appreciate them. It's just a matter of getting over the initial hesitation. As long as people start out slow and gradually feel more confident in them, I'm sure they will be very happy with their purchase.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 05:17:19 PM »

We bought a skeeter and we love it check it out, I perfer the smaller ones they give you more control.
www.waterskeeter.com
The Bigger The Better!

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 10:17:05 PM »

i sold my belly boat last week so im planning on getting a pontoon boat this wknd at the sportsman show.Any recomendations on size or length for one that can be used on small rivers ie vedder,chehalis,stave ,harrison......not the thompson and small lakes.oh yah ,it has to be big enough for my fat a$$.LOL
Please honey can i go fishing now???

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 09:48:37 AM »

Is it possible to put a motor on it? If so, how powerful? Electric? Gas? ???
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 08:29:41 PM »

A pontoon boat of 7 to 8ft would be very adequate for smaller rivers. The oars will be 6 or 7 footers. As for a motor; I'm not familiar with the brands that offer that option, but I know they do make them. I have seen ads in magazines which advertise motor options. I'm sure if you Google it, you will find what your looking for. Hubs, I believe carries the Outcast models.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 10:08:17 PM »

I recently got a Water Skeeter River Runner IV.  It's 8 1/2 feet and comes with 6 foot oars (I've been told 7 footers are a worthwhile upgrade, especially for whitewater).  I don't have experience with other pontoon boats but it's reasonably priced and seems quite well built, with a swivel seat, aluminum frame, anchor system and motor mount.  I've been told a small electric motor (24 or 30 lb. thrust or so) works well, and you could probably even use up to 2 HP gas if you enjoy noise and smell.

If any of you guys end up getting one and want to go practice on a river, let me know - I've been trying to find people to go with.  I don't think I should try anything beyond class II by myself.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 11:51:53 AM »

What does class II means? or What are the different classifications and their meaning?
1.  Is it the TRUTH?

By Herbert J. Taylor

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 01:36:13 PM »

What does class II means? or What are the different classifications and their meaning?

http://www.montanawhitewater.com/pages/river_class.html

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 07:14:24 AM »

there will be Buck's Bags, Outcast and Water Skeeter boats on display at hte Abbotsfird show this weekend. Lots to choose from and even a factory guy or two around.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 10:50:18 AM »

Thanks for the info DS.
1.  Is it the TRUTH?

By Herbert J. Taylor

Tailwalker

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 02:52:16 PM »

If you`re going to the show this weekend , stop by the Bold Creek booth and check out the Water Master rafts . I`ve got an Outcast Fishcat 9 Lite , and love it , but if I were to do it again , I`d take a SERIOUS look at these rafts . They aren`t really a pontoon , and they`re not really a boat , what they are is a hybrid between the two . I know a few people who own them , and all of them have said they are the best boat you can own for rivers and lakes .
Study to be quiet

kermode58

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 10:28:39 PM »

another well known site is having a group purchase on pontoon boats happening right now.
ps. It would be a great idea if one of the local tackle shops would organise white water lessons or seminars . I am sure they could fill a few weekend classes on the vedder . Oh ya and a Helmut is a great idea.
HERE fishy,fishy,fishy
HERE fishy,fishy,fishy