Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invasive species, take action now!  (Read 1526 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Invasive species, take action now!
« on: August 08, 2006, 01:27:58 AM »

Jack from flybc.ca wanted me to post this for our readers:

With the recent discoveries of Pike in the E. Kootenay and Smallmouth Bass in the Quesnel River/Horsefly water shed, I think it's past time that some of these lakes have to be treated with poison in order to save the fishery and other resident species of animals residing in them. These foreign, introduced species will decimate the whole natural system in these waters and as responsible users of the waters of this province, it's time to stop the hand wringing, head shaking and moralistic discussions and actually take action. I have it on pretty good authority that about TWENTY lakes have been identified as "at risk" from foreign species introductions, that could be safely rehabilitated . The fisheries biologists, technicians and managers, that we pay, require a political decision to be made, in order to go ahead.

Won't YOU help make this happen, by emailling the Minister, the Honourable Barry Penner, and indicate YOUR support for the rehabilitation of the waters that have been corrrupted by illegal stocking of foreign species?

Isn't it time to show the bucket brigades that they can't just do whatever the hell they want? Isn't it time to stop the "We know better" crowd? Isn't it time to actually DO something ??

Email Barry Penner, tell him that you strongly support the rehabilitation of water eco-systems that have been contaminated by foreign species stocking.

"Barry Penner, Minister, ENV ENV:EX" <env.minister@gov.bc.ca>

Thank You.

jack

James

Re: Invasive species, take action now!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 03:25:51 PM »

Posioning a water way to get rid of a unwanted species sounds like a plan , and I am against the introduction of a invasive species  .
But...
What is stopping the "bucket brigade" or other , from RE-introducing that invasive species agian ?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Invasive species, take action now!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 03:36:36 PM »

What are the lakes that are affected ?