Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead Sockeye Smolts On The Fraser River  (Read 5284 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Dead Sockeye Smolts On The Fraser River
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »

CM is probably Christine McWilliams
ah, the vet, of course.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 09:38:48 AM »

If you want it to be fish farm related send it to AM she has her ways.

Yes I ment KM oops

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 09:54:45 AM »

Same thing happens from the displacement and wake of jet boats this time of year if run irresponsibly close to shore where these fish are migrating. You see a lot of it on the Harry when cutty fishing.
I am a boat owner and not passing blame, just another possibility.

I have seen it as there well but it is not extensive, just a few fry here and there. Sticklebacks in the fall. I wonder if heavy boat traffic is causing accelerated erosion however. I'd bet that's more of a problem in summer when the water is higher and ski boats etc are active.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 11:14:06 AM »

I have seen it as there well but it is not extensive, just a few fry here and there. Sticklebacks in the fall. I wonder if heavy boat traffic is causing accelerated erosion however. I'd bet that's more of a problem in summer when the water is higher and ski boats etc are active.

I agree not extensive, but similier numbers being reported here.
"couple at Gill"
"6 at Agassiz"
"16 or so"

Not trying to down play it either, as any loss is something our fisheries can not afford right now.

dcajaxs

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 03:03:56 PM »

anyone know how much turbidity can those smolts handle?  I find it incredible how cloudy the water can be and that the fish can tolerate it.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 03:50:53 PM »

anyone know how much turbidity can those smolts handle?  I find it incredible how cloudy the water can be and that the fish can tolerate it.

Good question, here's why it's difficult to come up with a means of measuring turbidity as it relates to mortality.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/reports/fullreports/526.1.pdf

I believe what the turbidity is caused by, ie. the fines, is important as well. Some forms of silica are hard on gill filaments so this could be a possible cause of death, or one of many.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 06:21:54 PM »

Good question, here's why it's difficult to come up with a means of measuring turbidity as it relates to mortality.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/reports/fullreports/526.1.pdf

I believe what the turbidity is caused by, ie. the fines, is important as well. Some forms of silica are hard on gill filaments so this could be a possible cause of death, or one of many.
I looked at the water today, no visibility at all, water is dropping but will be on the rise big time soon.