Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to be comfortable in the winter, while fishing.  (Read 6517 times)

roseph

Re: How to be comfortable in the winter, while fishing.
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »

yeah the other thing I was gonna say is get merino wool everything if you can.  It's not absolutely necessary but I've found it kicks @$$ compared to everything else I've used. 

x2 on the merino Stanfield long sleeve as well..

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 08:00:50 PM »

I'm a convert to merino wool just don't put it in the dryer.
It ain't the roe bro'

Animal Chin

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »

Yeah merino is pretty killer stuff, wool is antibacterial as well so it won't stink up. Comfortable to sweat in and it'll keep you warm as it's drying. It especially shines for mulit-day backpacking use. The good stuff is the lightest weight, baselayer weights (150 gram). Expensive, but I think worth it.

I wouldn't bother with anything above that for merino, not even the 200 or 260 gram stuff, as fleece is cheaper and warmer in that area.

I"ve been really happy with the MEC Watchtower fleece pants:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/Fleece/PRD~5017-968/mec-watchtower-pants-mens.jsp

and MEC Trek 4 jacket:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/Fleece/Tops/PRD~5022-813/mec-trek-4-jacket-mens.jsp

I like eVent fabric for waterproof breathable as well. Kind of the gold standard I'd say, though very expensive. As an alternative, the driducks ultralite 2 at $15 for jacket and pants is really effective for keeping you dry and it's very breathable, just not high fashion and a little fragile (nothing duct tape can't fix).

For waterproof breathable, down, any high performance fabric I use the ATSKO Sportwash and their water resistant re-proofer. $5 @ Walmart in the hunting section. Leaves zero residue and doesn't clog up the pores of the fabric. The re-proofer works really well too,  bring back new life to old goretex jacket etc.

What do you guys do about your hands? That's one thing I can't seem to figure out. More something to keep my hands dry from the constant rain and drizzle. A bonus if it makes handling line and a reel easier.

Dry cold is pretty straight forward, it's the PNW freezing rain that gets me. Cold feet and hands are the only things that I can't tough it out through. Once that part is compromised, I'm done.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:43:43 PM by Animal Chin »

roseph

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 08:40:58 AM »

I use wool fingerless gloves and keep a towel in my waders to keep them as dry as possible.

I have those watchtower pants as well and as much as I like them I can't support shopping at MEC anymore (another topic).  Would rather have stuff made here in Canada..

adecadelost

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »

Yeah merino is pretty killer stuff, wool is antibacterial as well so it won't stink up. Comfortable to sweat in and it'll keep you warm as it's drying. It especially shines for mulit-day backpacking use. The good stuff is the lightest weight, baselayer weights (150 gram). Expensive, but I think worth it.

I wouldn't bother with anything above that for merino, not even the 200 or 260 gram stuff, as fleece is cheaper and warmer in that area.

I"ve been really happy with the MEC Watchtower fleece pants:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/Fleece/PRD~5017-968/mec-watchtower-pants-mens.jsp

and MEC Trek 4 jacket:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/Fleece/Tops/PRD~5022-813/mec-trek-4-jacket-mens.jsp

I like eVent fabric for waterproof breathable as well. Kind of the gold standard I'd say, though very expensive. As an alternative, the driducks ultralite 2 at $15 for jacket and pants is really effective for keeping you dry and it's very breathable, just not high fashion and a little fragile (nothing duct tape can't fix).

What do you guys do about your hands? That's one thing I can't seem to figure out. More something to keep my hands dry from the constant rain and drizzle. A bonus if it makes handling line and a reel easier.

Dry cold is pretty straight forward, it's the PNW freezing rain that gets me. Cold feet and hands are the only things that I can't tough it out through. Once that part is compromised, I'm done.

I use the same MEC pants and love them.

As for gloves I use the wool fingerless as well for most of the time.  MEC sells a pair for about 10 bucks that have seen me four years now and are still in great shape.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/GlovesMitts/Gloves/PRD~4001-997/fox-river-fingerless-mid-weight-ragg-gloves-unisex.jsp

When it gets really cold I'll switch over to my neoprene gloves.  A little more bulky and not as easy to manage running line with, but sometimes they're necessary.

Most of the winter I just keep the wool ones on and keep one of those handwarmers in the pocket