Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder river hydrometric data  (Read 7431 times)

RG

Vedder river hydrometric data
« on: December 04, 2012, 07:36:49 PM »

Just wondering at what level the Vedder blows out or becomes unfishable?  Many thanks in advance!

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder river hydrometric data
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:52:28 PM »

That all depends on how much rain water that washes down the various clay slides that affect the Chilliwack river. It could be a sunny day with no rain for a couple days and a chunk of clay slides in and voila its poop lol. Tomorrow it will be blown for sure, I just came back from Chillliwack and it was raining like mad out there and they have a rainful warning.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:06:12 PM »

Its not a matter of water height to determine if the river is fishable. The river can be at the perfect level, but the rain or heat can set off a clay bank and the clarity goes to sh.it. When the water height changes so does the water the fish hold in, and so does an anglers approach.
The Bigger The Better!

dcajaxs

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »

anyone have any information on the effects of the clay on the fish in the system.   I know that it clogs their gills but is that only if it is as thick as pea soup? 

firebird

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 04:18:55 PM »

Here is a link to a DFO paper about the effects of sediment on fish and fish habitat. It's a bit technical but has everything you need to know. If you need clarification of any parts of it, post your questions as a reply here. http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/255660.pdf

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »

anyone have any information on the effects of the clay on the fish in the system.   I know that it clogs their gills but is that only if it is as thick as pea soup? 

It's more harmful to the redds as it will suffocate the eggs in the gravel I think as it can wipe out a lot of fish easily.

norton

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »

There's no set height the vedder gets unfishable.  It depends on a number of factors. Freezing level , rainfall amount, and the Amount of snow.  I've noticed over the years, back to the 1970s if we get a cold spell in November and December and a considerable amount of snow in the mountains and also at lower elevations, and then warms up , and we get a lot of rain for about 3or4 days straight, that  a flood can easily occur.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »

Here is a link to a DFO paper about the effects of sediment on fish and fish habitat. It's a bit technical but has everything you need to know. If you need clarification of any parts of it, post your questions as a reply here. http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/255660.pdf

Good stuff firebird - links like these are so important for today's anglers who want information.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »

I live in Vancouver, so it has to be fishable for me to take the trip.  Generally in the winter, if it's over 2.2M at the Vedder crossing on the gauge, it's not worth the trip.  It sucks when you drive for an hour and the river is chocolate milk. 

But, there are many other factors involved, rain, temperature, etc...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:09:10 PM by TheChumWhisperer »

paul1971

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 04:25:43 PM »

Not true fished plenty of times when river is above 2.2 and river stays mint.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:36:11 PM »

The only thing that matters is how long ago the river spiked. Read the graph, go fishing, soon you will know how long it takes the river to cleanup after a spike in the graph.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »

The only thing that matters is how long ago the river spiked. Read the graph, go fishing, soon you will know how long it takes the river to cleanup after a spike in the graph.

Not entirely true. You could have just a smaller piece fall into the river (size of a small car) or you could have a huge piece go in (size of a house) or the bank give away entirely. If making "the drive" best to have a connection near the river, call Fred's or try asking on here.

brownmancheng

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »

Not entirely true. You could have just a smaller piece fall into the river (size of a small car) or you could have a huge piece go in (size of a house) or the bank give away entirely. If making "the drive" best to have a connection near the river, call Fred's or try asking on here.
Fred's pretty much always says its good.
Many helpful members on here but be prepared to hear go find out for yourself.  I normally just check for a spike on graph in the last day or so. I may be wrong but as far as I know during the winter it blows less often as large amounts of rain fall as snow in higher elevations.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »

Well in that case fishing above Allison would be your best bet wouldnt it.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 06:44:28 PM »

Well in that case fishing above Allison would be your best bet wouldnt it.

There's a slide between the old ranger run area and borden creek and slesse creak it self has a slide or an area that likes to push out brown water.