Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Troubled Waters  (Read 4073 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
More Troubled Waters
« on: August 14, 2004, 12:50:19 AM »

Recieved word today a couple of fishers were asked to leave the bar below the Agassiz Bridge by a couple of a couple of FN people.

The fishers complied not wanting a incident and left but reported it to FOC in Mission.

A emergency meeting was held Thursday in Agassiz RCMP. We were represented by 2 rep's and of course FN were there, RCMP, FOC etc.

It seems the FN reps say this is Cheam Territory and Rec Fishers must ask permission to fish there now.

A lot more went on , too much to report but things are heating up to say the least.

All the more reason guys and gals to write those letters to the Fisheries Minister and others with a copy to letter@fishingwithrod.com

As we have been saying for some time now our fishing opportunities are being threatened and alot of people are now starting to believe it.

Operation Barbeque is gathering steam be ready to climb aboard that rolling train.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 12:57:27 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re:More Troubled Waters
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 01:11:05 AM »

Cheam territory?  I thought the reserve land started above the bridge?
Apparently the say they have more. This is being checked into by the SDA.

Flycastin

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 02:54:55 AM »

Pretty scant report there, Chris.  Hope you have more follow up as the days progress, or some more reports  from the actual people asked to leave the area, or actual eyewitnesses, etc.

Being as my world is miles away from the battlegrounds, I would love to see more info and posts from each side, instead of a post that doesn't give the whole story.

QUOTE : A lot more went on , too much to report but things are heating up to say the least."    

Damn, at this rate, I may not even care enough to post one of those "roll eyes" emoticons, then a smiley face after it.  

QUOTE "A emergency meeting was held Thursday in Agassiz RCMP. We were represented by 2 rep's and of course FN were there, RCMP, FOC etc.

1) For those of us who don't know who "WE" are...what group was represented by the 2 people, and which two people were they? Didn't they take notes? Can't they give any more info, or is it ALL SECRET INFO?

2) Who represented the First Nations? The Chief of the Cheem, or a spokesman who just spews retoric?

3) How many RCMP were there? DId they find the actual FOC members who took the original call and have them present, or just have spokespersons who just spews retoric? Could any RCMP members give any speech and lay down the law?

4) The Sportfishing Defense Alliance (SDA) have written many letters to the Gov't about this very topic, year upon year. WHAT progress have they made within the last 5 years in regards to this issue?

This post leaves many unanswered questions in my mind, and won't go away soon.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 11:11:16 PM »

Pretty scant report there, Chris.  Hope you have more follow up as the days progress, or some more reports  from the actual people asked to leave the area, or actual eyewitnesses, etc.

Being as my world is miles away from the battlegrounds, I would love to see more info and posts from each side, instead of a post that doesn't give the whole story.

QUOTE : A lot more went on , too much to report but things are heating up to say the least."    

Damn, at this rate, I may not even care enough to post one of those "roll eyes" emoticons, then a smiley face after it.  

QUOTE "A emergency meeting was held Thursday in Agassiz RCMP. We were represented by 2 rep's and of course FN were there, RCMP, FOC etc.

1) For those of us who don't know who "WE" are...what group was represented by the 2 people, and which two people were they? Didn't they take notes? Can't they give any more info, or is it ALL SECRET INFO?

2) Who represented the First Nations? The Chief of the Cheem, or a spokesman who just spews retoric?

3) How many RCMP were there? DId they find the actual FOC members who took the original call and have them present, or just have spokespersons who just spews retoric? Could any RCMP members give any speech and lay down the law?

4) The Sportfishing Defense Alliance (SDA) have written many letters to the Gov't about this very topic, year upon year. WHAT progress have they made within the last 5 years in regards to this issue?

This post leaves many unanswered questions in my mind, and won't go away soon.

It is tought to give the whole story when I was not there I just wanted to give a brief discription what happened to make the RCMP call the meeting. Some of the things you ask have merit but some of the infornation you are asking for me would be hard to dig up as not being at the meeting. I am sure you realize the time I and a few
are spending on this already.

The bottom line here and I am sure you have read all the other posts that have talked about this illegal fishing and the growing tension between some Rec fishers and a few FN fishers.
If your e mail is listed I will send you some info I have been sent.

Found your e mail and have sent you some info.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 11:19:18 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 12:00:10 AM »

Could be heading there if FOC and the RCMP do not start enforcing the law shortly, people re getting fed up by their inaction.

Flycastin

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 11:10:15 AM »

Thanks for that email Chris! Great stuff!

Couple questions for you guys I need some elaboration on:

"Gary talked about the fact that fishing is evolving and used as an example the fact that each band had a little pod in which they could fish.  The fish had to have a nose clip and several other things."

Explain the nose clip, please.

:)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 12:27:51 PM »

In the old days FN were to clip athe tip of the nose off their fish to signify it was a FN caught fish trying to prevent illegal fish sales. These fish were called Fraser Valley Chickens and everyone from judges to the RCMP apparently bought them, I have been told. ( I am happy to say I have never bought a salmon. If I cannot catch my own we go without.) ;D

Do not know how the compliance level was then as I had just starting fishing in those days. Did not pay much attention to such things.

Remember FN fish are supposed to be for food and ceremonial use only except for the pilot sales problem now in effect. Of course this never did happen in the past or now as there is no control at all. What we gather the monitors are FN personal so I will  leavet to you how well the count data is being gathered now.

Things will never change unless the Government changes how they want to deal with these issues. Right now things are totally out of control on the Fraser as no enforcement at all.

The bottom line as I have said several times the laws should be enforced. If they are wrong and unfair they should be changed but until then obey them as our democratic society is built on this.

Hope this answers your questions. Apparently another meeting re the e mail I sent you is to be held this week. The agencies apparently are trying to limit who we can send. We are working on that.