Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2020 Steelhead Smolt Release On The Chilliwack Vedder River  (Read 2507 times)

Robert_G

Re: 2020 Steelhead Smolt Release On The Chilliwack Vedder River
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 02:13:11 PM »

https://www.theprogress.com/news/video-steelhead-smolts-hit-the-river-as-spring-stocking-gets-underway-in-chilliwack/?fbclid=IwAR0vgs7KLRD2SqcoitRSDkUKILgRlCcp8tDD1Tq4YcwLT4pIAswzurQK3fo

Does anyone know why they take the extra time and cost to bring them down all the way to Peach Road?
They used to release them straight out of the hatchery and let them swim down.
Then for a while they released them closer to the main Cultus Lake bridge.
Now all way the down to Peach.

Also interested in their reasoning or science if they think bringing them down lower benefits the smolts in some way?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:47:02 PM by Robert_G »

stsfisher

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 02:18:56 PM »

Does anyone know why take the extra time and cost to bring them down all the way to Peach Road?
They used to release them straight out of the hatchery and let them swim down.
Then for a while they released them closer to the main Cultus Lake bridge.
Now all the down to Peach.

Also interested in their reasoning or science if they think bringing them down lower benefits the smolts in some way?
Not science based, but I wonder if it is done this way so the hatchery smolts are in some way not competing with wild smolts more apt to use the upper river at this time?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 02:30:52 PM »

Not science based, but I wonder if it is done this way so the hatchery smolts are in some way not competing with wild smolts more apt to use the upper river at this time?
Exactly this, and yes it is science based. Also, hatchery fish tend to return to the roughly the same area, that way fewer hatchery fish make it to upper river where they may spawn with wild fish.
Fish were released in one location this year because of Covid concerns... less interactions with trail walkers and less contact among hatchery staff.

Robert_G

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 02:48:48 PM »

Exactly this, and yes it is science based. Also, hatchery fish tend to return to the roughly the same area, that way fewer hatchery fish make it to upper river where they may spawn with wild fish.
Fish were released in one location this year because of Covid concerns... less interactions with trail walkers and less contact among hatchery staff.

I get the competing thing with the smolts, but it has interesting implications for guys targeting hatchery fish....especially boxing day crowd derbies. Also to mention that even as early as the boxing day derby, many hatchery fish are caught at the top end of the river regardless of where the smolts are released.

jim

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 05:15:34 AM »

I used to read Frank Amato's STS magazine, and yes they would say the hatch fish would return to their release point(s). And that the best spot on the river was just below the hatchery, stuff like that.
 I read about the studies on Cowichan River chinook smolts and they seemed to think that they were consumed by predators all along the river to the Bay. So by the time they were supposed to be at the lower river they were eaten already. I imagine they are consumed by Mergansers, otters, Herons, racoons. minks, etc.
 The idea of not mixing with the wild smolts seems a good one.