Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long rod for beginners  (Read 5946 times)

KarateKick

Long rod for beginners
« on: June 06, 2014, 11:51:31 PM »

I've read many times that fishing from shore requires a long rod, 9 feet or longer.  I searched eBay and found a new 8.86 feet telescopic rod for $8.82.  Is that okay for a beginner?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-7M-8-86FT-Portable-Telescopic-Fishing-Rod-Travel-Spinning-Fishing-Extended-/360925951232

Fillibert

Re: Long rod for beginners
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 12:07:51 AM »

quote from ebay: Sea fishing, boat fishing
So you cast/set once and forget, doubt it would be good for repeated casting

crab

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 01:02:58 AM »

I have 2 of these cheapo telescopic rods that costed about $10 in Japan.
This type of rod can be annoying sometimes with repeated casting, because the upper guides tend to come loose.
But in general, they are  pretty useable for casual fishing - fishing off the dock/shore for small fish
like chubs,trout, perch, flounders etc. I even fished pink salmon with them, but wouldn't use
these rods for anything bigger than that.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 06:42:45 AM »

So vague ? What would you be fishing for?

losos

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »

Not sure of the quality of the rod (suspect not the best one) ,but in Europe they are used all the time for any type of fishing.
I guess with limited budget you have not much of a choice and $10 is shouldn't be much of a risk.
Less than 9' is on a short side imo.
When living in Europe I float fished with 15' telescopic rod .but there were guys using 30 footers.

KarateKick

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 12:53:53 PM »

Here is the description, and I have no idea which parts of it matter:

Features:
This fishing rod is made from glass fiber, portable and lightweight. Telescopic fishing rod is specially designed for conveniently carrying around. Best suitable for fishing from the shore, reefs and rocks on trips and vacations. Comes with the pad for comfortable holding. An ideal gift for fishing enthusiasts or collectors.

Note:
The total extended length is approx 2.7m. Please in kind prevail, thanks!

Specifications:
Material: Glass fiber
Suit for: Sea fishing, boat fishing
Butt diameter: 29mm
Top diameter: 2mm
Sections: 6
Closed length: Approx. 63cm / 24.8in
Extended length: Approx. 2.7m / 8.86ft 
Item weight: Approx. 215g / 7.6oz
Package size: Approx. 63 * 6 * 3.2cm / 24.8 * 2.4 * 1.3in
Package weight: Approx. 233g / 8.2oz

Is this good enough for catching trout at a beach?

Shawn6o4

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 01:32:43 PM »

What is your budget?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/spo/4471417960.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/spo/4462348465.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/spo/4490476831.html

in my opinion that rod from ebay will probly be OK for a little while, but will eventually breakdown. If you can spen 8 more dollars and buy a used rod from Craigslist. Ive even gotten a spare rod for a visiting friend from value village a zebco for 9$.

So yes that rod is good for a beginner.

Will it last? Probly not.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:01:02 PM by Shawn6o4 »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 03:38:58 PM »

That rod on Ebuy looks heavy and I would not want to cast it for very long.
Length isn't a huge deal. If you are casting from shore, at a lake or stream, a 7 8 or 9 foot trout rod is fine if you are using a spinning reel. More important is comfort and smoothness of the reel, and balance. Balance means you can hold the rod comfortably in one hand and i like mine to sit naturally at the horizontal. Smoothness of the reel allows you to feel every little bump or bite, and with all that you can cast all day comfortably. Watch Rodney's latest video about lake fishing with a float, you will learn about using light line, longer rod and some weight for longer casts if you really need them.
Until you develop specific or expensive taste in gear, you should be able to find something at Can Tire for a decent price, keep it out of the dirt or gritty water and it will last many seasons unless it is really poor quality.

It helps allot, when you ask a question, to tell us exactly what and how you are fishing for. This will help me too as I pack up your new tackle supply lol
Happy Fishing~

KarateKick

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 04:53:22 PM »

I am hoping to catch trout or small salmon from shore.  Here is an article I've read:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/saltwater_fishing/beach_fishing_for_pacific_salmon.html

It says "Quite often fish are feeding pretty far from shore, so you should have a setup which allows you to cast fairly far. To achieve this, a fishing rod measuring at least 9' long is required."

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 05:56:08 PM »

That article is about shore casting in the ocean, something you would need a specific, Long rod for.

I fish local rivers for trout and salmon, and have used various spinning rods with decent success for many years. Often using slightly bigger rods for salmon and using say 6 or 8 lb for trout and 8 to 12 for coho and pinks. Great fun on the spinning rod BTW.
If you can get something like i have talked about you should be fine. You can also use it to float fish off a lake's dock or bar fish as well.

KarateKick

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 10:21:09 PM »

Length isn't a huge deal. If you are casting from shore, at a lake or stream, a 7 8 or 9 foot trout rod is fine if you are using a spinning reel.

I am hoping to catch trout or small salmon from shore.  Here is an article I've read:
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/saltwater_fishing/beach_fishing_for_pacific_salmon.html
It says "Quite often fish are feeding pretty far from shore, so you should have a setup which allows you to cast fairly far. To achieve this, a fishing rod measuring at least 9' long is required."

That article is about shore casting in the ocean, something you would need a specific, Long rod for.

I think I understand. For small salmon, a 7 to 9 foot trout rod with a spinning reel is fine for casting from shore at a lake or river/stream, but not at the ocean. Correct?

I have another question, about this article:
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/river_fishing/bar_fishing_made_simple.html

It says "You need a good sturdy rod in the 10-12 foot range."  Is the 10-12 foot length needed only for big fish like chinook?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:25:11 PM by KarateKick »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 06:33:17 AM »

Bar fishing requires casting heavy weights (16oz+) over 100 feet. If you catch a large spring in fast water you also need a heavy rod.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 07:08:34 AM »

I think I understand. For small salmon, a 7 to 9 foot trout rod with a spinning reel is fine for casting from shore at a lake or river/stream, but not at the ocean. Correct?

Correct~ Shore fishing the ocean would require specific gear and some experience, often they cast further than most gear is able too.

I have another question, about this article:
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/river_fishing/bar_fishing_made_simple.html

It says "You need a good sturdy rod in the 10-12 foot range."  Is the 10-12 foot length needed only for big fish like Chinook?

Correct.  Like the ocean article, this article talks about one specific kind of fishing, this time: upper Fraser fast water for big springs mostly.

KarateKick

Shawn6o4

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 03:26:24 AM »

Your much better off with a used rod from this website or another.