Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Massive fish kill on the Cheakamus River  (Read 19851 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Massive fish kill on the Cheakamus River
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2005, 08:35:55 PM »

Hey AF - I'm with you.  I'm thinking I probably won't even get out for Chums on the Squ'ish.  :(  The river system needs every spawning fish, and every carcass to be there so that it can rebuild it's nutrient systems. (IMHO)

Looks like the Vedder and Chehalis will be REALLY crowded this year.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2005, 09:02:10 PM »

Don't think the chums are impacted by this spill. They don't return to spawn til late September

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2005, 10:01:16 PM »

Nope, the brood stocks of the fish that were killed are not the only ones we should be concerned about. As mentioned in another post, all animals, plants and their physical surroundings in an ecosystem depend on each other.

Also, passing this along to you:

The impacts on the lower Squamish were less clear as most of the monitoring and dead fish recovery was concentrated on the Cheak.  Anyone with any information on fish kill in the lower Squamish or those who were on the river the day of the spill it would be great to hear from you.  The Squamish First Nation and Edith Tobe of the Squamish Streamkeepers both pointed out to observing dead and dying fish along with PH above 9 as far down as the estuary.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2005, 01:18:49 AM »

Spill cleanup ‘could take… years’

By Kim Thompson
Reporter

Investigation ongoing; task force struck to formulate Cheakamus recovery plan

kthompson@whistlerquestion.com

Whistler tourism outfitters that rely on the Cheakamus River are bracing for the worst after a CN Rail train derailment last week leaked thousands of litres of toxic chemicals into otherwise pristine waters.
Although the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority (VCHA) officials have now deemed the river safe, the effects of the chemical spill have devastated those closest to the river. Over the weekend, residents were warned not to approach the river and tourism outfitters were asked to cease operations over the weekend.
Nine cars from a 144-car train plunged into the Cheakamus River, 30 kilometres north of Squamish, en route to Prince George on Friday at around 7:30 a.m. Most of the rail cars were empty, but one was a tanker carrying caustic soda, or sodium hydroxide, a corrosive material used in paper manufacturing. Commonly known as lye, the substance raised pH levels in the water and killed nearly every species of fish in its wake.
The chemical spill also forced raft companies to cancel all trips during the busiest weekend of the summer.
On Wednesday, the Ministry of Environment (MOE) announced the formation of a task force to develop a recovery plan for the river. The task force is to include officials with the MOE, the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans, the Squamish Nation and CN Rail.
Evan Phillips, operations manager for Canadian Outback Adventures, said the disaster had obvious immediate effects, but said the long-term implications will be subtle. Since the spill, walk-in traffic for Cheakamus River float trips had dropped by 100 per cent, he said.
“The Cheakamus River is a fantastic family rafting product and the wilderness component has been affected,” Phillips said. “We are back on the water but it is not all happy smiles because there are fish carcasses on the side of the river. As a guide, it’s not fun t o explain what happened.”
Eric Ridington, president of Whistler Whitewater Co., is still waiting to get back on the river. Ridington said he is frustrated because news of the spill reached him through the media rather than a phone call from CN. He is still waiting to hear whether it is safe to return to the river.
“I have a lot of questions and I have to make some phone calls. I want to know what measures have been taken to deal with this mess,” Ridington said. “I am surprised no one from CN contacted me.”
Companies such as Whistler Fly Fishing are bracing for the effects of the chemical spill this winter. Jason Klimock of Whistler Fly Fishing said the Cheakamus is used more in the winter for guided trips and lessons than it is in the summer. Without species to fish, a guided trip to the Cheakamus River is less enticing.
“A lot of bug life died as well, which serves as a food source for the Chinook salmon. I think all the guide companies will suffer,” Klimock said.
Thousands of dead fish are the most prominent sight along the banks of the river.
Lance Sundquist, MOE incident commander admitted the cleanup is a daunting task and there are no plans to remove every fish carcass. Instead, dead fish piles next to recreational or residential areas will be targeted for cleanup, he said.
“We don’t anticipate removing every dead fish carcass from the river. We are monitoring large accumulations of fish that could be attractants to bears, whose presence could cause conflict with humans,” Sundquist said.
The long-term effects of the spill will be felt all along the river’s course into Howe Sound.
Caroline Melville, a contract wildlife consultant, said people cannot underestimate the damage done. She said the two most durable fish in the river, the eels and young salmon, are turning up dead, which is a telling sign.
“We are always fighting things like urbanization and hydroelectric extraction, but this blows that all away. I have looked at other caustic soda spills and to be hones t, it takes years to recover. We will need support and the process could take up to 10 years,” Melville said.
In the meantime, CN is still working to remove the busted tanker that still contains 10,000 litres of caustic soda. CN spokesperson Graham Dallas confirmed that a planning group of experts is trying to stabilize the chemical inside the tank. The goal is to cool the substance into a solid state with dry ice before removing the tanker, which might take until Friday.
“We will be giving the community a 24-hour notification prior to the removal of the tankers, although we do not expect any problems,” Dallas said.
Transport Canada is investigating the cause of the derailment.

http://www.whistlerquestion.com/madison/WQuestion.nsf/WQnews/FB52F3B0D63052D28825705A006D2E3B?OpenDocument

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2005, 08:44:45 PM »

News Release
August 12, 2005
http://www.barrypenner.com/

Penner Visits Train Wreck and Speaks with Clean-up Crews
‘We’ll be sending CN the bill for the clean-up and recovery process,’ says Penner

Chilliwack – Yesterday, BC’s Minister of Environment, Barry Penner, toured the site of the CN Rail derailment and chemical spill along the Cheakamus River north of Squamish, BC.

"I’m very grateful for the efforts of ministry personnel and other agencies who have worked non-stop during the past week to minimize environmental damage,” said Penner. “We are very fortunate that no one was killed in the train wreck or has become ill as a result of contaminated water. Nevertheless, I’m very distressed by the impact on the river and the deaths of thousands of fish.”

One week after the derailment, workers were able today to remove the rail car from the riverbank with 10,000 litres of sodium hydroxide still inside. About 40,000 litres spilled into the river last week, with a devastating effect on fish stocks. Fish in the river were suffocated when the chemical removed oxygen from the water. That means the dead fish were not poisonous for birds and other predators to eat. To help fish stocks recover, Penner says the Cheakamus River, Mamquam River and lower Squamish River will remain closed to all fishing until at least September 30, 2005. The rivers are open again for recreation purposes, however, and the water has returned to normal.

"I spoke to a number of the 200 people working on the recovery and assessment effort, and they told me they are generally pleased with the unified command structure the BC Government has put in place,” noted Penner. “Still, we all wish the spill had not happened. I’ve asked my staff to participate in an investigation into whether laws were broken and whether charges should be laid. And we will be sending CN the bill for the clean-up and recovery process.”

Under BC’s Environmental Management Act, fines of up to $1,000,000 and six months in jail are possible. In addition, the Spill Cost Recovery Regulation allows the province to recover costs associated with cleaning up a spill of hazardous substances.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2005, 10:09:16 PM »

CN train removed from river

Squamish, B.C. — Rail crews have succeeded in lifting a derailed tank car out of the Cheakamus Canyon near Squamish without any further spillage, B.C.'s environment minister said on Friday.

The tanker spilled thousands of litres of caustic soda into the Cheakamus River when nine cars of a CN train derailed on Aug. 5.

“That rail car was successfully lifted out in one piece,” Environment Minister Barry Penner said. “The Cheakamus River and the Lower Squamish are now open again for recreation so if people want to river-rafting or swimming or anything else, it's safe to do so.”

The spill killed hundreds of fish and in an effort to preserve remaining fish stocks, Mr. Penner has announced a fishing ban on the Cheakamus, Mamquam and Lower Squamish rivers effective on Monday.

He said the ban will likely remain in effect until September.

It has the support of all levels of government, First Nations and regional sports fishing groups.

Mr. Penner has said that CN will be charged if there's evidence of any wrongdoing in the derailment.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050812.wderailment0812/BNStory/National

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2005, 11:05:48 AM »

Squamish area rivers closed to fishing
Tanker pulled from Cheakamus in bid to save fish

Gerry Bellett
Vancouver Sun
Saturday, August 13, 2005

A mangled tank car of caustic soda is pulled from the bank of the Cheakamus River Friday by CN crews using bulldozers. The car was part of a freight train derailment a week ago.

Spectator has a bird's eye view of the operation from the cliff beside the river.

Squamish I Three rivers in the Squamish area contaminated by the spill of 41,000 litres of caustic soda when a CN Rail train derailed there a week ago will be closed to angling effective Monday, provincial Environment Minister Barry Penner announced Friday.

"We're doing this to preserve the fish stocks that survived the spill and to protect those stocks that will be returning," said Penner.

The closures will affect both the Cheakamus River and the Mamquam River and that part of the Squamish River that flows downstream from its confluence with the Cheakamus, and will remain in effect until at least Sept. 30, he said.

The spill wiped out fish in the Cheakamus River and the effects will be felt for years.

On Friday, crews working in the Cheakamus Canyon removed the ruptured tank car which had spilled the chemical into the river.

The car still contained about 10,000 litres of caustic soda which had been frozen after crews packed the car in dry ice during the last week.

"We wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be another spill once the car was moved," Penner said. "Freezing it prevented this from happening."

He added that he was happy the car was removed in one piece without any further spills.

"I'd like to commend all the hard work and diligence of the people who have been dealing with this for the past week. They'd done a great job. The river is now safe and can be used for recreation and that's good news," Penner said.

Meanwhile ministry officials will be tabulating the cost of the cleanup in preparation for giving the bill to CN Rail.

"Under the Environmental Management Act, CN Rail will have to pay the full cost associated with the cleaning up the spill and that is likely to be substantial," said Penner, who couldn't estimate what the final cost might be.

He said there was a healthy contingent of provincial staff among the 200 or so people who have been working to contain the spill and clean up the damage.

Depending on the outcome of investigations into the cause of the derailment, CN Rail could be liable for prosecution under the act which provides for fines and imprisonment of upwards of $1 million for causing environmental damage, said Penner.

"In fairness to CN Rail, they have said they will pay all the costs resulting from the spill. But we will still be looking at such things as the handling procedures used on this train to make sure everything was done correctly," he said.

gbellett@png.canwest,com

© The Vancouver Sun 2005

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=167e1cd3-9dbc-4202-bd66-bdb7b3e9fdeb