Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin advice  (Read 5574 times)

aaron.az

Centerpin advice
« on: November 12, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »

Hey Guys, just picked up my first center pin reel yesterday, a custom built 5" centerpin with bearings, didnt come with handles on but i installed them myself quite well. Anyways Just looking to see if theres any pointers or things to watch out for when using my centerpin ive watched some videos how to cast and such. Any Beginners guidance is well appreciated, including what # line and if i need backing and such. Thanks in advance, cheers and tight lines.

Might as well post a picture of the reel:

Robsrsx

Re: Centerpin advice
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »

looks like a  solid  reel,   just  practice casting with it  a  bit  before  heading  out  on  the water maybe  in  your  back  yard  or  a  park, it  might  seem  tricky  at  first  but  you'll  get  the  hang of  it, its   alot  of  fun and  addicting,   as  for  what  line to  use  there  are  alot  of  good  liness  out  there,  it  really  is  personal prefference,  I  use 50yds of  30lbs  backing and have  about  200-250yds  of 10lb mono sufix promix ,  but I  use  a  13'6" centerin  rod  so  I  dont really  need  anything  stronger,  good  luck
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:13:00 PM by Robsrsx »

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 06:51:08 PM »

Good tip on the practicing casting part it will make your time on the river more enjoyable. I run 25lb chameleon on my pin as I like to have a stiff line on my pin. I have mainly all backing on my reel and about 100-150 yards of mono. This makes the change outs of line cheaper, I usually change my line 3 times in a calendar year as I spend a lot of time fishing and the UV from the sun is what kills line strength.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

islanddude

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:04:05 PM »

Used a Avon Royal Supreme when I first started fishing for salmon and steelhead on the Vedder.That was 36yrs ago. Still prefer a center pin today over all other reel.Take your reel fishing is the best way you can learn to use it. You will develope your own techique for all different situatons. Tight lines.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 08:41:33 PM »

For your first few days using a CP, try using heavier weights than you normally would. 30-35 gram is perfect.  The heavier weights make casting much easier, the more confidence you get the lighter the float you can use.  I use about 150 yards of 20lb mainline on top of about 200 yards of backing.  I usually switch up my mainline every 8 trips or so.  Nothing beats steelhead on the CP, welcome to the darkside, tight lines..

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 08:56:35 PM »

Practicing in your yard is a waste of time get that reel on the river and find a nice quiet spot and giver!
If you get a birds nest the current will help you pull line out.
Today I took my friend fishing for the first time in his life and he caught 2 chum while I'm standing there teaching him to cast.
Let's see ya do that in your backyard!

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »

Practicing in your yard is a waste of time get that reel on the river and find a nice quiet spot and giver!
If you get a birds nest the current will help you pull line out.
Today I took my friend fishing for the first time in his life and he caught 2 chum while I'm standing there teaching him to cast.
Let's see ya do that in your backyard!

Depends on what is in your backyard...

;)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »

Depends on what is in your backyard...

;)
:D Very true for a lucky few.

LP89CG

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »

** I just started out on the pin this year, a few tips that helped me have some degree of success :

buy a large spool of cheap line... I re-spooled a bunch of times, sometimes 2-3 times a trip.

side cast to start...i dont think it's worth it to start off on anything else.

start with small casts/heavier weight.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »

For your first few days using a CP, try using heavier weights than you normally would. 30-35 gram is perfect.  The heavier weights make casting much easier, the more confidence you get the lighter the float you can use.  I use about 150 yards of 20lb mainline on top of about 200 yards of backing.  I usually switch up my mainline every 8 trips or so.  Nothing beats steelhead on the CP, welcome to the darkside, tight lines..

+1 start out with heavier weight ! more than u think u would use, then slowly decrease after u gain confidence 

aaron.az

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »

Thanks for all the advice guys, yall come through when i need it. I have a new spool of 25lb ultragreen. I guess ill put on some backing and then that. And fin it was custom built. On the inside of the back peice it says d hall 1988. Story is it was from a british machinist. It has no wobble to it. Spins perfect, will go for about a minute. The fit between the back peice and the spool is incredibly tight its amazing. Haha it definetly needed the handles, getting hooked up on a spring or a chum dont think id want my finger in the spool. SNAP wont be my line but my finger

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 07:58:31 AM »

wondering what you're targeting that you need 25lb test on your pin for.
I run 15 pound chameleon on my pin and it handles most anything. I've landed a 20+lb white with 15lb test no problem.

as for casting. go to the park and practice practice. I find if you go to the river and have problems with your cast you get more frustrated because your mind is set on fishing and not on learning how to cast. good luck

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »

wondering what you're targeting that you need 25lb test on your pin for.
I run 15 pound chameleon on my pin and it handles most anything. I've landed a 20+lb white with 15lb test no problem.

as for casting. go to the park and practice practice. I find if you go to the river and have problems with your cast you get more frustrated because your mind is set on fishing and not on learning how to cast. good luck

I run a heavy line to get the stiffness that I want for casting and drifting, nothing to do with species of fish being targeted.

aaron.az

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »

Couple people said 20 and then u with 25. figured that was normal. or is 15lb with a majority of backing better?

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »

I use a john milner pin, use 15 lb mainline and 12 or 10 lb floro leaders for steelhead, and coho.  never snapped my main unless i got into a rather large chum.
though i did land a few monster chum on 15 lb main.

Tight lines to all