Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pegleg, Aug. 9  (Read 5700 times)

Nostro

Pegleg, Aug. 9
« on: August 10, 2004, 09:13:58 AM »

Fished from 7-9pm
Saw 1 small spring and 1 sock landed within the 30-40 people in sight. The boats across the river were not doing any better. Must believe that it will get better.
Lousy fishing, but great company of fishers. It's a great bar to fish, very few snags, and a good drift.
Never look a fish in the eye.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re:Pegleg, Aug. 9
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 09:16:56 AM »

"It's a great bar to fish, very few snags, and a good drift."

Yeah; and without a boat there are few bars with those characteristics. Maybe end of week....

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
peg leg aug 9
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 09:52:17 AM »

Hit the bar by 7:00 am and started to bounce , by 9:00 i had lost 6 complete set ups what a joke. A ton of people fishing zero fish being hooked pounded the river hard  for nothing. This year seems slow i have been out 5 times 1 6lbs sox to show for my efforts. When will our government clue in and grow some b---s and close the commercial fishing  permanetly the sport fishing makes them more money and is good for the economy. And the natives if they want to fish go buy a rod  like the rest of us the same rules need to be in place . Im sick of the double standars set by our government they need to wake up . We need to conserve our  fisheries  so there are fish in the future not rape our waters .If there was only sport fishing there would be so many fish we would attract tourist from all over and that would be great for the economy hotels, guides ,tackle stores, the list is endless in people who would benefit. I guess this is my way of venting because i was skunked due to commercial , and native nets taking a large percent of the fish.

BirdNester

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 11:06:04 AM »

Well I have been reading all these reports and for the past little while I have noticed that people have been catching mostly at Pegleg. I have never been, but I think that is where I will start going. It sounds like it must be one of the better places. Can't wait to check it out.
RobertO

Sandhead

Re:peg leg aug 9
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 11:15:59 AM »

Legend for Prime Minister :)
Ain't no HO like a COHO

BirdNester

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 01:38:31 PM »

Ok Gman, if somehow some being came down and told you that you could only fish one spot on the Fraser for the rest of you life, where would it be? Laidlaw, Peg Leg, Herrling, Scale, Grassy or some other place I don't know about.
And I'm not asking for the 'exact' spot, not too particular, I don't want you to give away any great secrets.  :)
RobertO

BirdNester

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 01:50:35 PM »

Kewl, so when we going?
RobertO

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 02:14:17 PM »

It has nothing to do with me lining fish. The facts are sport fishing could never have the affects that commercial and native fishing do. Are you a commercial guy or an indian?. Do you not agree that there are to many nets in the river . I personally am not a "meat" fisherman. I truly fish for the fun of it not the meat , i practise proper catch & release technics and don't keep everything that i catch.

Nostro

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 02:20:31 PM »

Hey BD,
Pegleg is one of the best spots to fish. Lots of room, very few snags, and normally, lots of fish.  BUT, also a lot of people.
Herling, scales bar near Hope, Sea Bird Island and lower Shawathil are also great bars, but with lots of snags.
If you want privacy, you will have to sacrifice something: travel distance, snags, difficult access.
Whatever you want, you can find it. It takes time and effort to find.
Good luck and enjoy!
Never look a fish in the eye.

BirdNester

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 03:15:16 PM »

For the sports fishermen to have an affect, wouldn't they have to be catching fish? In a few trips to Laidlaw with a grand total of maybe 200 guys fishing for about a grand total of 30 hours I have been out there, I have seen a total of 10 fish caught. Don't think those guys are having much impact on anything except a few paint chips on the cars in the parking as they speed off pissed that they didn't catch anything.
I imagine the same scenario for most of the bars.
RobertO

BirdNester

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 03:55:35 PM »

1 Spring.
RobertO

Sandhead

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 04:27:30 PM »

Have any economic studies been done showing how much sportfishing contributes to the economy compared with commerical and native fisheries? I think that it would be interesting to read, since I've always been under the impression that sportfishing if properly managed and marketed could possibly bring alotmore revenue to the provincial coffers while having a lot less impact on the river.

Ain't no HO like a COHO

Bushwacker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 05:38:41 PM »

. We need to conserve our  fisheries  so there are fish in the future not rape our waters .If there was only sport fishing there would be so many fish we would attract tourist from all over and that would be great for the economy hotels, guides ,tackle stores, the list is endless in people who would benefit. I guess this is my way of venting because i was skunked due to commercial , and native nets taking a large percent of the fish.

That would be fishing Utopia except that the cross impacts of such an irrational scenario will only create social,political,economic , recreational, & environmental disaster.Commercial fishing & canneries shutdown,unemployment rate goes up, natives uprising,more fish in river = more sporties, real estate for bar space overcrowded while space will be rented by the hour at premium primetime rates, etc,etc....
Too many people with greedy thoughts. Mother Nature can provide for our needs but CANNOT exceed man's greed. Time to look for alternate pastimes.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 05:46:16 PM »

not to high jack the thread haha
but why dont commercial fishers and first nations put time in at the hatcheries?  ???

does not a farmer spend his time rearing, raising, feeding, growing, weeding, all his plants animals whatever it is he needs???

now if a commercial fisher puts in x-amount of time or even breeds say 3000 fish he can then go and fish for 3000 fish,

i know this may raise the cost of fish at the supermarket, but instead of them collecting E.I. they could do this type of thing to keep the cost down.

now how about a licience cost  reduction for anyone who volunteers at a hatchery or river clean up or stream keepers type of group
20hrs = $10 off
dont take these numbers as posted there just ideas

but as for peg leg i first fished there last year and lost a bit of gear but after a couple off trips you get to learn the lay of the river and know where not to fish
this year  three days fishin only one betty lost
takes time when you enter a new zone  ;)
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Bantam_50

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 06:00:21 PM »

not to high jack the thread haha
but why dont commercial fishers and first nations put time in at the hatcheries?  ???

does not a farmer spend his time rearing, raising, feeding, growing, weeding, all his plants animals whatever it is he needs???

now if a commercial fisher puts in x-amount of time or even breeds say 3000 fish he can then go and fish for 3000 fish,

i know this may raise the cost of fish at the supermarket, but instead of them collecting E.I. they could do this type of thing to keep the cost down.

cnm...if I'm not mistaken commercial boys already do such work. When Sapperton put in their mini hatchery, they had EI commercial boys working on the project. The reduction in licence fee part... heck we'd have a free one every year.  ;)