Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cottonwood gillnet result  (Read 5207 times)

slimyfish

• I'm a llama!
cottonwood gillnet result
« on: July 13, 2006, 10:27:11 PM »

Does this make any sense running a second test fishery ship in the Fraser at Cottonwood after announcing a lower than expected early Stuart Sockeye run?  Worse of all they gill netted 56 Sockeyes on July 12th!  Think the responsibility should start at the top not us... ???

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: cottonwood gillnet result
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 08:28:32 AM »

56 Sockeye doesn't measure up to much compared to the numbers that are snagged daily by so called Sportfishermen does it?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 09:33:42 AM »

Slimy is right how can DFO ask sports fishers to mind this sensative stock when they are killing them in test fisheries?

Sam, that statement is idiotic...those 56 fish are dead as doornails, not to mention fish that fell out of the net or that were stripped out by seals. 

I doubt there are 56 socks hooked a day right now by flossers, I am positive that flossers are not responsible for the deaths of 56 sockeye per day (not right now any ways)...get a grip.

By the way, my dad and I flossed the fraser on wednesday for 3 hrs and we didnt hook a single fish.  When the sockeye are in, I have no problem finding them at that bar... so what harm did we do?  Why be such a hater?

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 09:48:44 AM »

Let's hear some stats Sam. I would really like to know how many Soxs were killed that day by us sportfisherman.

By the way, none were killed or even C&R by me that day or any other day this year, as I haven't even't dusted off my boat yet.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 11:51:32 AM »

Why are you people still flossing for salmon when you have been asked by DFO not to ???????
I just really can't understand your thinking!!!!!!!!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 12:51:14 PM »

Because it's their choice.. DFO has not made it a law.. until they say "NO BBING" I don't think many will care.. if you look in berry's bait and tackle report section.. it says "Fraser bbing is in full swing"

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 03:40:15 PM »

Why are you people still flossing for salmon when you have been asked by DFO not to ???????
I just really can't understand your thinking!!!!!!!!!
Why does the dfo give native fishermen so many openings and dont even check up on their catches WHO KNOWS! why are people so worried about people with fishing poles that work for their fish and not the poachers lol. Also its pretty hard to floss a sockeye during this time. So you cant just assume that everyone who has their line in the water is succesfully flossing sox.
[

slimyfish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 06:52:07 PM »

Sam, that's a different angle of approach with that comment.  I'll help you with some stats if I may:
To date the test fishery for all locations resulted in gill netting about 2,180 early season Sockeyes.  The test fishery successfully depleted about 900 Stuart run Sockeyes based on 40% of the catch at San Juan Island are of Stuart's run and in river netting of 96 fish of which it's safe to say, 60% are head for the Stuart regions.  Now for the recreational division, (calls to 8 fisher friends) the accidental hooking of Sockeyes amounted to 2 fish fishing 20 days.  Of interest to note, 6 Springs were kept.  The success for Spring fishers are certainly not as good as some posters are indicating.  30% of the fishers are rewarded for their fishing outing.  Ouch!!!! save some gas and buy a fish at your local supermarket, I'm sure your wife would luv you for that.... :-X  Any ways I would love to see fisheries change their style of testing to seine fishing in the Fraser river with all fish released after identification of species.  This would allow more escapement to the spawning beds. ;)

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 08:10:14 PM »

Some people just prefer to be more 'active' in their fishing. How can you sit there all day long waiting for the bell to ring?

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 08:27:08 PM »

??? when will this crazy debate over bbing ever end ??? bar fishing or bbing who cares as long as we all respect the rules and get along as sportsmen instead of a bunch of kids hurling insults all the time ;D i am an avid barfisher as well as i enjoy the other method as well but there is a time and place for bouncing  and a time to bar fish and as far as im concerned its bar-fishing time untill they open sox. thats my 5 cents worth tight lines to all and go get them springs boys 8) 8) ;D

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 10:03:36 PM »

I'll drink a diet pepsi to that. I think some people are getting antsy to get out there and fish, whichever way they choose. Too many days cooped up at work during the beginning of salmon season is always like this. Wait till the lull between the Sockeye fishing and the Vedder Spring/Coho fishing, you'll see it again. Happens every year.