Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RichmondNews local newspaper May 1 2009  (Read 2300 times)

arimaBOATER

RichmondNews local newspaper May 1 2009
« on: May 02, 2009, 01:33:49 PM »

Looking at the world & local news always brings positive & negative stories to light.... Yesterday flipped the pages of a recent freebie paper that gets delivered to our house.  Page A 3 has an article titled " Gun-toting teens take pot shots at birds" ................. A local man has been hearing shots for the PAST YEAR.....The man has been finding dead ducks & birds.....He heard some shots the other day so he checked out the area... & saw 2 teens shooting a hand gun (possible air gun) The teens were shooting at nests etc.... He yelled at the teens but they basically "brushed the guy off" & continued to shoot 30-40 more rounds....................... This is so senseless...& cruel.--------------------------------- Who knows how many birds have been killed or are wounded because of these acts ??? Possibly in the 100's ???? The police have been notified............................................................................... Then to top it all off I flip the page & see another story ... "Dead eagle believed poached"  A resident found the remains of an eagle...(talons & beak removed) ----------- The first story happened near Garry Point Park (Scotch Pond)...at the bird nesting area------------ The eagle remains were found in Iona Park. The Richmond RCMP are investigating both cases.----------- Rodney's camera "shots" are great...these teens "shots" at ducks & birds are just cruel & shameful. --Thus goes our world... good & evil....via thoughts words & ACTIONS.

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: RichmondNews local newspaper May 1 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 02:32:07 PM »

Kids can be cruel while they are going through that "world sucks" phase.  You have to hold on to the hope that most of them will grow out of it eventually :(   The eagles are a different story.  Remember a few years back they found a pit full of them, same deal....if there wasn't a market for those parts it wouldn't happen.  Obviously you could come across a road killed eagle, but 99% of the time acquiring intact beaks/ talons would be the result of poaching, i'm not sure why they wouldn't just make possession of the parts illegal....nobody NEEDS them....

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 05:36:45 PM »

I don't like this "The police have been notified" sounds like vague Bee Ess to me

Because you say the word GUN around the RCMP-and are serious-you'll see action fast.

fishyfish711

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »

I wish I had a better shot and fewer windows around an area where pigeons have been breeding the last few years on the roof of my home. I managed a few other less evasive means of discouraging them from nesting under an overhang. They coo very early in the morning and wake up  my two year old which in turn forces me to get  up at ungodly hours in the morning.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:14:47 AM by fishyfish711 »

janders

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 08:49:21 PM »

Little SOB's like that are the whole reason responsible gun owners continually year after year go through more and more new regulations and restrictions which do nothing to punish these low lifes.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 09:00:19 PM »

Little SOB's like that are the whole reason responsible gun owners continually year after year go through more and more new regulations and restrictions which do nothing to punish these low lifes.

I dont blame the kids so much as I blame the parents. What are their parents teaching them? Why are these kids walking around with guns? I have a 12 year old, 7 year old and a 3 year old. My 12 year old would never EVER think of doing something like that to an innocent creature. The problems lie with the parents. Too many parents arent involved enough in their kids lives. They let TV, computers and videogames raise their kids.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

arimaBOATER

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »

bb2000 you are so right in that good parenting is so important.  Sounds like your a great parent(s) & your raising good kids who know the dif. between right & wrong. (some people should not have children unless they are willing to invest in their lives) --- Sometimes though as parents we have to also watch who our kids hang around with. Great kids sometimes hang around with the wrong friend(s) & get led away to do stupid things.(peer pressure... follow the crowd... everybody's doing it...kinda thing) ---- Teens know how to manipulate (or will try to)  their parents as they get older. ------------  In this case as marmot said... hopefully these teens will grow out of this phase. Just how many of these ducks & birds are injured right now & are dead because of these teens... Harming wifelife for one's selfish pleasure is a big line to cross.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:08:31 PM by arimaBOATER »