Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MLA Raises?  (Read 6634 times)

mark

MLA Raises?
« on: November 18, 2005, 08:45:50 PM »

So what is with the mla's getting a raise but yet school teachers get shafted. Our government is screwed right up man. Inflation here we come. >:(
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 08:48:15 PM by mark »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: MLA Raises?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 08:58:46 PM »

I see that the NDP Leader Carole James is now calling for a review. Where was she and her party when they voted with the Liberals for the raise ? All politicians are crooks.

mark

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 09:00:50 PM »

Yes I agree.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 10:25:10 PM »

don't forget that they also ok'ed to increase their expenses and also ot back some benefits that were taken away previous because it was just crazy how much they were getting.  in other words, when you are thinking about how much the mla's just got don't forget to include more benefits, more expenses to write off and a raise. also don't forget old gordo's getting a raise as well.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 10:53:12 PM »

just read the facts about the raises. gordo's getting a 21.5% increase (119,500-146,320),  mla's getting a %15 increase (75,400-86,580). workers in bc getting zero and minimum wage is now $6.

sounds pretty equitable...not!
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 01:02:44 AM »

Our local MLA who is NDP is making almost twice as much as a beginning teacher.  Teacher takes 5-6 years of school.  This MLA was a mill worker before getting into politics. What % have the governments wages gone up in last 5-10 years??  Maybe the teachers paid for these increases since the government is refusing to give the money saved back to the school boards!  But lets just accept it like sheep because as so many said during the teachers strike if it is legislated than it is democratic and lawful!! ;) >:(  The average guy getting screwed again by the already in most cases wealthy!   :'(

mark

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 08:44:06 AM »

Politians should be given minimum wages and see if they can live off that.

Islanderguy

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 03:09:37 PM »

I guess you also have to put things in perspective, MLA's had no pention plan the last 10 years, Teachers do.

MLA's need to work 6 years  to recieve the pention package, in other words if they don't get re-elected by their constituants, they recieve nothing.

BC teachers are some of the best paid and best pention packages in Canada, the MLA's were  not.

The MLA's also took a rollback in wages the last term they were in office ( altho it was a single term , and went back to their regular wages after the last election).

The Premier would have to work over 4 years to earn the minimum wage of a NHL rookie.

Alot of MLA's are highly educated people that if they worked in the private sector they would earn alot more  (alot are lawyers, how many lawyers earn less than the Premier a year??)

I think if you add up the wages of the higher paid teachers, add in their pention plan and such it would be close to a MLA's up till this point.

Also if you add it up it works out to be abot 4 million a year, If the teachers and public sector unions got even 10% it would probably about 5 billion a year.   A bit of a differance..
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 03:14:20 PM by Islanderguy »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 03:50:47 PM »

The Premier would have to work over 4 years to earn the minimum wage of a NHL rookie.

What does the NHL has to do with BC politicians voting themselves a raise ?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 05:25:54 PM »

Do I agree with the raises that the MLAs gave themselves absolutely not. It was done in secrecy and they knew full well that once unveiled it would meet with derision from the general public ....but they still did it. Aside from politics, you name me a profession where you can go in talk to your boss and say you want a 15 to 20 percent raise. After the boss has stopped laughing, don't be surprised if he also asks you what you have been smoking.
The other thing that really bothers me is that some of those politicians know this is wrong to accept such a ridiculous wage increase yet they turn the other cheek and take the money. I have yet to hear that an MLA is going to refuse the raise and send it back.
And if I hear an MLA say they are underpaid ever again, my words of advice to him or her would be to quit and to go out in the private sector and make all those big bucks that they say they can.  Just my thoughts on the matter.

Islanderguy

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 12:01:31 PM »

Ahaa, there is a differance on wether the MLS's deserve the raise and how they got it. I do agree that the way they got it without debate ( mind you with the NDP in cahoots with this ,who is to debate it?) is suspect, at least it does not come into effect untill April 1 2006 so the public will have alot of time to scream and yell and in the mean time and the NDP now wants a stop in process due to the flack being caused (altho the public sector unions should not say a word in my opinion so they can use it as a bargaining chip in the next round of talks.)

Remember this is a 4 million dollar raise (about a dollar per British Coumbian) if the public public sector unions recieved the same it would be in the 4-5 billion dollar range I believe, (about a thousand per British Columbian) a bit of a differance.

mark

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 03:48:28 PM »

Don't forget in unions the members pay their own dues. ;)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 11:04:32 PM »

like i said before... the government is the biggest form of organized crime... at any level.

mark

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 05:40:19 PM »

Well it looks like the mla's might not be getting their raise now.LOL :'(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 06:28:11 PM »

Guess some of them has to get a second job at McDonalds to make ends meet ;)