Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish river fishing and camping  (Read 6797 times)

Sinergy

Squamish river fishing and camping
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:18:26 PM »

I never been to squamish my friend told me good spot is by the train tracks at goverment road and squamish dyke road we wanna go all long weekend is there camping allowed there? Or another spot we can park and find a spot to stay and fish for pinks. Thanks all

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish river fishing and camping
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 08:29:05 PM »

Not sure about there but I heard Alice Lake has camping facilities.

Ambassador

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »

Closest you are going to find is Alice Lake (as mentioned), Klahanie, and the Chief Campground. Long weekend is gonna be toooough to get a spot - but the Chief is your best bet as it is first-come, first-serve.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:51:19 AM by Ambassador »
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Sinergy

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 10:32:51 PM »

Cool thanks guys I'll prob go to the chief

Birkenhead

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 04:05:22 AM »

Cool thanks guys I'll prob go to the chief

Good luck getting a camping site if you are not there by Wednesday latest as this is a busy park, especially on a long weekend. There are only 15-16 RV spots and all the rest of the camp (and very small tent) sites are walk in so in so you will have to park and walk about 3-4 minutes to the sites so don't pack a lot of gear.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:59:08 AM »

You could just squat somewhere hidden along the river until they kick you out.  The more out of site of any locals you are, the less likely somebody will report you to the authorities.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:13:57 AM »

Be very careful if you do this. A LOT of bears on this river, and they will be attracted to anything you cook or any food/items you leave out.

And as I'm sure you know, we're not just talking about black bears. ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:16:23 AM by Tex »

Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 09:48:49 AM »

PM sent
Roderick Haig-Brown

Tylsie

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 11:14:27 AM »

You could just squat somewhere hidden along the river until they kick you out.  The more out of site of any locals you are, the less likely somebody will report you to the authorities.

Think the OPs original question has been answered (if not I apologize and will delete this comment). I am curious. With several courts in BC, including appeal courts, ruling that city bylaws violate the Charter and homeless must be allowed to set up a tent on any public land after 7pm as long as it is down before 9am would a fisherman be allowed to do so? Most do not live in the same city/municipality they as the river they are fishing so in essence they are homeless (albeit temporary). I do not condone it, nor would I do it but would like to hear others thoughts on what grounds they could make you leave if you followed the timeline the courts have ruled.

Sinergy

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »

Yeah after looking into it I'm just gonna park on a side street and camp at the river bed just by the train bridge. Worsted they do when they come by is tell is to leave

Ambassador

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 12:42:38 PM »

Yeah after looking into it I'm just gonna park on a side street and camp at the river bed just by the train bridge. Worsted they do when they come by is tell is to leave
No offence - but I really hope that you are asked/forced to leave as I hate the idea of setting a precedent that this is an acceptable spot to set up camp. So many other places close to camp - set up properly and drive to your desired spot as everyone else has to.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:52:54 PM by Ambassador »
Roderick Haig-Brown

Birkenhead

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 01:18:29 PM »

In BC, you have the right (unless otherwise posted etc) to camp on crown land.  That said, be responsible and don't abuse it and leave the area cleaner then you found it. I have camped on crown land for over 30 years and never had any trouble. Be polite, courteous and respectful to any LEO, gov official etc and they will leave you alone if you are in the clear to camp where you are.

Note the above does not apply to municipal/city land in which another post mentioned Vancouver. Courts rulings are based on municipal/city bylaws which would not necessarily apply to crown land or vice versa.

Old Blue

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 03:34:40 PM »

Not a good idea at all.  Anyways the Mamquam is closed as of tonight to all fishing. 

losos

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 07:36:23 PM »

Not a good idea at all.  Anyways the Mamquam is closed as of tonight to all fishing.
Who is your source?

Old Blue

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 07:58:29 PM »

DFO....all pinky fishing