Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout fishing help?  (Read 1700 times)

Fishiefish

Trout fishing help?
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:15:44 AM »

I've been Trout Fishing several times before and so far I've only caught two. One was a Rainbow and another was a Bulltrout I think so it was released. Anyways, I fish Buntzen and Lafarge and lately have caught none! I need some tips. On Friday my mom doesn't have work so I'll see if I can go to Lafarge and maybe try flyfishing using my spinning rod. I have a couple of split-shot weights.

Also, I use Dewworms as baits. Do trout even want to eat those? I use them because Dewworms have given me great success when fishing for Pikeminnow and Peamouths.

Fishiefish

Re: Trout fishing help?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 10:40:48 AM »

I do research on Trout. However, whenever I use worms on Lafarge I catch nothing but those bullheads. I'll try my spinner again. I hooked one big one on my spinner but it managed to escape.

fish_oholic

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 11:45:10 AM »

These lakes are usually fished out pretty fast. Specially lafarge becomes difiicult to fish after just 2~3 weeks of stocking. Both of them were last stocked almost two monts ago. Checkout http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_report/stocking_2.html. That might explain why you are not getting any success there. They will be restocked in september and I would wait until then for any trout fishing in them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:46:42 AM by fish_oholic »

Fishiefish

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:28:30 PM »

Really? I don't see lots of fishermen there so I thought the Trout would be abundant. June 16th was the last stocking and that wasn't very long ago too. I fished at the 26th.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 01:45:47 PM »

Yeah local lakes are drained of trout pretty quickly. Pressure is heavy.
Most important thing for you is to alternate and try other baits if one doesn't work.
It would be useless to try the same technique for more than a few days on the same lake.
When trout are there and are feeding, they will bite your finger if you give them.
So try worms, spinners, leaches, flies, bread, shrimp, powerbait.
I catch trout on bread in one lake all the time in the fall/spring and it works for me.

Fishiefish

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:11:07 PM »

Leeches as in live leeches? I have the spinner, flies and worms are cheap and I have all sorts of powerbait. I like worms the best because the Pikeminnow's love 'em. Won't bread soften in water and fall off the hook?

I also tried shrimp and caught my first Trout several months ago.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 10:09:16 AM »

If you can find live leeches yeah or use leech fly patterns.
Lakes here in Lower Mainland are probably too warm right now and trout won't bite, but any lakes on higher elevations may have a hope.
Bread won't fall off the hook easily. You have to use fresh bread always and of course know how to put it on the hook.
But looks like you've got all the right baits.

Fishiefish

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »

Alright, thanks  :D I also heard that they swim upstream into little rivers and feed on Salmon eggs so I'll try my luck on that.