Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interior Lskes  (Read 4719 times)

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
Interior Lskes
« on: April 12, 2020, 05:42:58 PM »

Hope all of you are well and keeping safe.
I never fished the interior lakes.
Looking for help and suggestions.
I do have a 16' boat.
I would like to discover some spots up as far as Quesnel.
Also along Hwy 1 as far as Revelstoke and also along Hwy 3 as far east as Grand Forks.
Thanks

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Interior Lskes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 07:57:52 AM »

Written for hikers but applies equally to anglers:
https://www.straight.com/covid-19-pandemic/hikers-please-stay-f-home

"It’s really this simple:

Stay the F home
Don’t hang out with people you don’t live with
Avoid non-essential travel
Get outdoors in your neighbourhood for exercise
Keep your distance from people outside your household
Wash your hands
Remember: we’re all in this together. Your favourite hike lake isn’t going anywhere."

eddy

Re: Interior Lakes
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 08:03:30 AM »

Forgot to mention that I'm talking about later this summer.
As far as I know, the interior lakes are still frozen.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Interior Lakes
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 09:03:31 AM »

Forgot to mention that I'm talking about later this summer.
As far as I know, the interior lakes are still frozen.
Apologies for assuming you were talking about the near future! With all the fishing photos on Facebook out of Chilliwack this weekend it's hard to know what to think anymore :P

Hopefully things have settled down by then. Our summer plans are still up in the air... we were hoping to visit Ucluelet but who knows?

eddy

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 09:37:22 AM »

No problem.
With so much negativity every day, its good to have some positive future plans.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 04:54:18 PM »

what sort of fishing? 16 foot boat is pretty large for some of the smaller lake with rather undeveloped launch sites. There often are motor size restrictions if not bans.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

eddy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 05:05:15 PM »

Thanks for your response, Ralph.
I'm looking for all kinds of fishing opportunities on lakes, rivers, etc.. Obviously, if there is a restriction, I would not use my boat.
I like catching, not just fishing.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 10:46:08 PM »

Eddy did you check youtube Fishing with Rod videos.
He must have vids on interior lakes..Kamloops area .
Caribou area  ???
Loon lake is quite nice but not sure how it looks after the big fires 2 yrs ago nearly three yrs ago now I guess.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 08:26:06 AM »

Thanks for your response, Ralph.
I'm looking for all kinds of fishing opportunities on lakes, rivers, etc.. Obviously, if there is a restriction, I would not use my boat.
I like catching, not just fishing.

fly fish? Troll?

With a boat that size I'd suggest focusing on some of the larger lakes like Sheridan etc. There are a number of larger  lakes in the Caribou region stocked with kokanee though by the time we can tracvel freely it may be getting a bit warm. Consider getting a down rigger suitable for lake fishing.
 Loon is a good lake for trolling for trout.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

eddy

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 08:33:24 AM »

Thanks again Ralph.
I do have 2 manual downriggers I've used fishing for sockeye on Osoyoos lake.

likely

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 02:04:44 PM »

quesnel river free boat launch in likey. crazy dry fly fishing in front of the gas station don't go past the bridge in a boat turns into a wild river. can also walk out on the island just below the bridge go to the bottom really nice big pool watch your footing gets deep quick   

eddy

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »

Thank you.
That's great!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 10:35:42 PM »

Access is going to be the issue. With BC Parks closed, not sure if FSR campsites are off limits, and all cabins, resorts etc are closed, access to most lakes will not be available unfortunately. We are still a couple of weeks until open water is available, so things may change by that time so I would plan the trip based on what the situation is. The 16 footer would be a great boat for some of those bigger lakes on Hwy 24.

eddy

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 06:16:01 AM »

Thanks Rodney.
Yes, of course access is the issue right now but I'm hopefully looking to early June, after the ice is off the lakes.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 07:35:44 AM »

Access is going to be the issue. With BC Parks closed, not sure if FSR campsites are off limits, and all cabins, resorts etc are closed, access to most lakes will not be available unfortunately. We are still a couple of weeks until open water is available, so things may change by that time so I would plan the trip based on what the situation is. The 16 footer would be a great boat for some of those bigger lakes on Hwy 24.

All Recreational Sites with Camping ate closed.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/camping-hiking/sites-trails

for any other rec site you need to check it's status:

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/closures.aspx

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/camping-hiking/sites-trails/alerts
Recreation Sites and Trails BC COVID-19 Response
April 8, 2020
All Recreation Sites with Camping Facilities are Closed

Recreation Sites and Trails BC’s (RSTBC) number one priority is the health and safety of our staff, partners, volunteers, and visitors. We are following the advice of provincial health experts and doing our part to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Our response to COVID-19 continues to change based on direction from the British Columbia Provincial Health Officer (PHO).

In response to continuing efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19; effective April 7th, 2020 a Recreation Order is now in effect that closes all Recreation Sites with camping facilities until May 31st or until the order is rescinded or replaced by another order. In addition to Recreation Site closures, recreation facilities where there is a risk of increased social contact (e.g. kiosks, ticket booths, overnight shelters, day use shelters, etc.), are closed . We will continue to monitor the situation.

We are also recommending that people avoid travelling outside of their communities for recreation purposes at this time.

For now, visitors can expect the following:

Recreation Sites with Campgrounds - All Recreation Sites with camping facilities are closed. All recreation uses are prohibited in Recreation Sites with camping facilities.

Recreation Trails will remain open, where possible; however, associated recreation facilities are closed. The public is reminded to maintain safe physical distances of at least two meters and choose low risk activities while using trails. We are also recommending that people avoid travelling outside of their communities for recreation purposes. Trail users are expected to carry out their own garbage, are responsible for their own safety, and should exercise additional caution as trails will not be groomed or maintained during this time.

Recreation Facilities where people gather and are in contact with frequently touched surfaces will be closed. Closures will apply to fee collection booths and kiosks, overnight shelters, back-country cabins, day use shelters, and other related infrastructure. This includes facilities used for winter sports and activities (e.g. snowmobiling, nordic skiing, etc.), as well as all-season activities such as mountain biking and hiking.

Visitors should check out the RSTBC website before heading out to be prepared for their visit and to be aware of any closures.