Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to target sockeye in tidal Fraser?  (Read 3050 times)

andrew5

How to target sockeye in tidal Fraser?
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:48:10 AM »

Hi guys,

Is it even possible to target them in the tidal portion of the river? I ask this because of the scarcity of bar space due to high flow in the non tidal portion. I am assuming they would come in on the high tide, making bottom bouncing impossible. Just wondering as I work in Richmond.

Oh, and forget about turning this into a thread on whether or not they bite in fresh water. Not interested.
Thanks,
Andrew

MIKE1

Re: How to target sockeye in tidal Fraser?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:03:08 AM »

Last year 2 at Garry Point with a spinner. Might of been a fluke though.

Ive heard reports of people with Roe bags at Dump bar catching sockeyes this year.

brysonk

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:55:05 AM »

Can we retain Sockeye in the tidal Fraser?

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:27:01 AM »

Can we retain Sockeye in the tidal Fraser?

yes.... 2

brysonk

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »

now back to the original question...

Hi guys,

Is it even possible to target them in the tidal portion of the river? I ask this because of the scarcity of bar space due to high flow in the non tidal portion. I am assuming they would come in on the high tide, making bottom bouncing impossible. Just wondering as I work in Richmond.

Oh, and forget about turning this into a thread on whether or not they bite in fresh water. Not interested.
Thanks,
Andrew

Not exactly sure but I'm going to try running a bar rig with a med sized spin n glo the same as you would fish for springs but I'm going to finish it off win a cured prawn and see if they take it. I know they have been biting prawns and shrimp in the vedder so theoretically they should take it in the fraser.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 03:18:47 PM »

Sockeye salmon in the tidal portion of the Fraser River can be caught with spoons, spinners, flies, jigs, fished just the way that you would when targeting pink salmon. The only difference is that they do not bite as frequently. Actually, that's an understatement. By trying everyday during the entire season, you might get one bite. Occasionally, while catching pink salmon, we would hook the odd sockeye salmon.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »

Caught one a couple years ago on a green koho spoon while fishing pinks. Took a few trips last year with the spoons and only hooked a couple in ten or so trips. They are a frusterating fish because huge schools would go by, I was bumping the backs of the fish they were so thick but they wouldn't hit. In conclusion, possible but highly unlikely.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »

You should be able to catch them if you can find some clear water that enters the Fraser (Pitt and Stave?). It seems the longer they are in fresh water they seem less willing to take your offering. Ghost shrimp and krill are the ticket. As I have mentioned before, we had a opening on the Harrison a few years ago and it was a great fishery using the baits I mentioned.