Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer fishing with roe bags or chunks when water is like it is now, low?

Roe bags
- 58 (29.6%)
Chunks
- 138 (70.4%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....  (Read 103634 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »

Thanks much for the info.   I am pretty fat fingered so the lack of need for knot tying as a definite advantage with this 'spider thread'.   Will have to see if I can find it.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2009, 05:05:15 PM »

Canadian Tire carries spider thread its hanging right where the spwan sack material is  ;D Exactly what i use if im making bags. I also picked up a roe bag tying buddy or whatever its called.

I dont tie bags at all anymore so if someone wants this little thing with spawn sack and thread just let me know. you pick up though
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »

Thanks much everybody, I went out to Canadian Tire and found exactly what you described.

Other question for you experts:

How many eggs should I tie in?  Should I be using a large bunch or just a few.
Do you tie all your row sacks before heading out?  (..if I am out at first light I don't want to be fumbling about,  just put it in the egg loop, chuck..and pray).

This time I am determined to get lucky.  Taking Thursday off just so I can hit the Vedder at first light with the possibility of fewer crowds around.  Never had a Coho but I am reasonably sure I had one on wool two weekends back before it spat me out.  It was a blast!  This time I am going to throw everything at them :) ...and if I get nothing I would have had a good laugh and hopefully the chance to get at em again and again until something happens.

PS: Welcome to the forum floatfishing.  I liked your photos from Ontario and, until now, did not know there was a Pacific Salmon fishery there.  [...curiously, I had heard about Salmon fisheries as far afield as Chile so I guess they have been introduced anywhere where suitable conditions exist but I will need to do some googling to confirm that :))
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:19:02 PM by fishseeker »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2009, 06:42:14 PM »

I think chunks is the only way to go right now.  Gin clear and low conditions chunks will definitely outfish bags.
The only time I will use bags is when visibility is down to 2-3ft or when I'm barfishing.

I'm getting anywhere from 10-20 casts with my procured roe. I'd say average is about 15 casts.  And as HOOK said, I've often changed my roe chunk because the colour has faded and the eggs have still be in perfect shape. 

If you want to get more durable eggs try adding some Knox Gelatin to your cure.  It will make your eggs nice and rubbery and increase durability.

How much gelatin do you add/ skein roughly?  I'm curing up some eggs tonight with Fire Cure in a jar.  Do you just throw it in with the cure?

whereismyfloat

« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2009, 07:50:02 PM »

do you buy the gelatin at a grocery store?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »

There are no hard and fast rules. Depends on the size of the eggs and the water you're fishing. I prefer 4-5 spring eggs.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2009, 09:04:18 PM »

Fishseeker - you dont put a roe bag in the bait loop. all you do is stick the hook through the mesh and hopefully between the eggs without puncturing any and out the other side. It will stay on pretty good because of the mesh material of the spawn netting.
Check out our new blog

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2009, 09:06:48 PM »

I was told by a guy that you can just use Jello powder to dye and cure your eggs and apparently it works well. I would think you would still want to add some procure to it and even some scent of some kind just to make it better. I think i will try up some Jello eggs when i get some chummies
Check out our new blog

coho killer

« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2009, 10:16:16 PM »

I got some coho roe and would like to cure it tonight but only have borax. Does anyone know how much to use and how long to dry, ect.?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2009, 11:32:28 PM »

I lay the eggs on some paper towels and put them in the fridge for an hour or so. Then I cut them into bait size chunks and roll them around in borax. Store and freeze.

obie1fish

« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2009, 12:58:06 AM »

Another thought, something I wrote last year- sometimes I like to tie up some emergency egg sacs using Berkeley Power eggs just for fun. They do work well, and are there when I run out of roe, sacs, or it's still frozen 'cause it's a last-second trip out. They don't need refrigeration and work like gooey bobs or the scented egg clusters that are sold. The jar's a nice handy container as well. Aw heck- I know it's not practical, but neither is fishing. It's just FUN  ;D

obie1fish

« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2009, 01:04:30 AM »

Oh Yeah- about the tulling (sp?)- I sometimes found it too wiry to safely tie the sacs without breakage. That's where the search for softer tulling helps. I should have taken some from my buddy's wedding in Kelowna late August as it was quite soft and easily coloured with fluorescent markers. Scarf materials are quite soft, too. It's the search that's fun.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2009, 12:52:53 PM »

I'm about 1 day into curing a batch of chum roe with Pautzke's Fire Cure.  Its a dark red-purple  like congealed blood with a little purple mixed in- I was a little surprised by that.  With roe that red, makes me wonder if natural might be better for low-water conditions.  Any thoughts on this?

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2009, 04:51:45 PM »

been doing pretty good with fire orange pro cured spring roe. I would cuggest trying Tillamook blend or fire orange for low water ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2009, 05:39:01 PM »

I have been using orange mostly and the fish have liked it. have seen people doing well on red also (looks bright pink once wet). I dye my spring roe because it just way to pale for my liking thats why i do orange & red. with coho & steelhead roe i would do natural though
Check out our new blog

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14