Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 Help Habitat Fundraiser - Catch some fish, enjoy a good lunch, win $1,000!  (Read 1563 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Every year, the Chilliwack River Action Committee hosts a Help Habitat Fundraiser. The fundraiser generates money that is used to improve fish habitat on the Chilliwack River. This year's fundraiser will take place on Saturday October 27th from 12:00pm to 2:30pm. It will include the followings:

• Complimentary lunch - salmon BBQ
  • Silence and live auctions
  • Raffle draw at 1:00pm - Three cash prizes

Raffle tickets are $10.00. The three grand prizes are $1,000, $500 and $250. Your raffle ticket is also admission to the fundraiser. You do not need to be at the fundraiser to claim the cash prize if you win it.

This year's fundraiser will be hosted at the Chilliwack Fish and Game Hall (48685 Chilliwack Lake Road). From Vedder Road, turn east onto Chilliwack Lake Road at the Vedder Bridge. Drive for approximately 7km. The clubhouse is located adjacent to the fire hall and across the road from Thompson Park.

Tickets will be available at local tacklestores. I will post up which ones are selling them soon. Some of us will also have them for sale, TBA.

This is a great and fun opportunity for all to help the Chilliwack River. You can come out and fish in the morning, drop by the fundraiser for a great lunch and possibly win up to $1,000 before the end of the day!

If you wish to purchase a booklet of ten tickets, or sponsor the event by donating an auction item, please email David Lamson at dflamson@shaw.ca. With your support, the Dave and his committee will work hard to improve the Chilliwack River and fishing opportunities.

Here is an update on work being done this year

Habitat Restoration Work of the Chilliwack River Action Committee for summer 2007:

1. Off-Channel habitat restoration to provide increased fry rearing and over wintering capacity for coho, steelhead and trout:

• Wingfield and Ryder Creeks - sediment removal from settling ponds and maintenance work, riffle construction.
  • Deer Creek - Rebuild intake and replace blocked culvert leading to spawning and rearing channel.

2. Clay slide stabilization to reduce siltation of the Chilliwack River:

• plan for sediment monitoring program for the Chilliwack River for the next year.
  • plan for commissioning engineered design and working drawings for stabilizing the top priority clay slides.
  • work toward obtaining the required funding. This is expensive work as it must be planned properly and requires large material and heavy equipment to handle it.

All interested in preserving the health and sustainability of the Chilliwack River Watershed for future generations are urged to support.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I now have 20 tickets for people to pick up if they wish. Best to message or email me for them.

croc

this sounds like i good cause that most people should do to improve our fishing in not just the Chilliwack but go to diffrent ones on all rivers, i would love to be there but i have a plane booked to Winnipeg to look after a whole bunch of little army cadets. good luck with the fundraiser one and all :) and thanks to all members that help out with the vedder river clean up a couple weeks ago

Croc

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Bump. The fundraiser is on this Saturday.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Below is the amount of money raised on October 27th.

Ticket Sales                    $1,880.00
Live Auction$282.00
Silent Auction$352.00
Merchandise Draws$280.00
Donations$546.00
Total$3,340.00

Prize winners

1st ($1000.00): Dwane Antifaeff, Sardis
2nd ($500.00): Jeremy Hume, Abbotsford
3rd  ($250.00): Harold spencer, Chilliwack

The Chilliwack River Action Committee would like to thank volunteers and those who participated at the fundraiser.

A note to this: The amount of money raised was lower than previous years and insignificant considering how much time and effort volunteers put into the organizational part of this event. The number of tickets sold (188) was almost 30% lower than previous years. If every angler on the Chilliwack River on a weekend (1,000+) purchases a ticket, then these projects that benefit the sport in the long run could actually move ahead speedily. We can continue addressing the problem of lack of fish, enforcement, habitat damage, claybank erosion, or we can be part of the solution, which doesn't seem so financially feasible right now.