Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whistler area  (Read 14177 times)

ejeffrey

Whistler area
« on: June 11, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »

Hi guys. I am heading up to Whistler for a buddy's stag weekend July 24-26. Most of the other guys are going to be golfing, but since I'm not a big golfer I thought I'd take the opportunity to check out the fishing prospects in the area. I have never fished the area before.

So, what are my best bets for that time of year? I won't have a boat; I might be able to borrow a float tube. Will the pinks be invading the Squamish river system by that time or is it too early?

Thanks for any input.

dereke

• Old Timer
Re: Whistler area
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 11:05:54 AM »

A bit early for the large push of pinks at that time but timed with the tides there will be fish coming through I'd say. If not get a belly boat and cruise Alta the cutties are quite big in there and there a quite a few around this year it seems. Really fun lake to fish.
always a student

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 08:34:17 AM »

You can borrow my Outcast IR9 Pontoon boat ,its here in Whistler.

Or you can fish off the new Fishing dock on Alta or Fish the mouth of the "River of Golden dreams" that flows into Green Lake.Its good in the heat of the summer.

david@currieartworks.com
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

jimmywits

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 10:58:27 AM »

It is most likely going to be pretty hot and the water pretty warm too. You may want to go for some elevation, even higher than whistler village. Callaghan lake is one possibility, it comes on around that time and it will be cold. Also the showh lakes up cougar mountain should be good too. If you feel energetic you may want to get into the Jane lakes as they are also quite high up, but I,m not sure how far you can get in on the road now so check it out.
enjoy and good luck !

drivel

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:16:01 AM »

Last time I was at Callaghan in high summer, the Mozzies ate us alive.  It's not always that bad but it sure can be at times!!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 12:44:42 PM »

last time the pinks came we were getting them (not tons) at that time of year in the Squamish river. you could also check out the beaches on near the squamish mouth or wherever you can get down for fishing. I know of one spot near Furry Creek golf course can be good that time of year as the fish swim right by. its kinda hit & miss there though but worth a look for sure. I like it best at low tide  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

ejeffrey

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 10:36:45 AM »

Thanks for the info guys, and thanks for the generous offer Snapperhead. I should have a belly boat with me, but I'll let you know closer to the date if I need to take you up on your offer.

Cheers.

Orerockon

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 07:39:01 AM »

Hello, I am headed for Whistler on Sept. 26th for a week of R&FF :) I have tubed the area quite a lot and have caught my fair share of nice fish. I was wondering if any of the less well known lakes or the rivers will be fishing well this time of year? Particularly Birkenhead R & Lk, and Lilloett (?) reservoir. I was told that Lilloett fishes great in the bays with a float tube by a guide many eyars ago, is that something worth trying this time of year? Also are the sockeye going to be in the Birkenhead? I just got back from SE Alaska and the sockeye are over and done with, we only saw a few all week. Ditto with the pinks, I started yanking them off since they were mostly gross & spawning. A very small egg "bead" was killing bows and doilies everywhere we fished. I don't even know where to get these - does anybody have a source (that I can get some from in the next few days LOL).

As way of repayment I can offer a few things I have learned about the Whistler area:

Alta fishes extremely well about now with a stickleback in the north end between the park and right off the outlet (sticklebacks, olive damsels). The sterile cuts they stocked can be truly massive (my personal best is 22").

I never could find a way into Nita or Alpha without risking getting caught trespassing (if anyone can help I'd appreciate it since we will be on Nordic Dr., 3 minutes away). I never have caught anything in the south end of Alta where everyone says to fish, maybe I am just too dumb.

The outlet of Green Lk. can be great right at dark, I have caught some very nice dollies swinging a black matuka here. I haven't figured out how to get to the mouth of the River of Golden Dreams (nice name there HAHA) although everyone seems to think that is a great spot to tube. I never caught anything in the creek itself.

Loggers Lk. off the upper Cheakamus can be good and it's a relatively lightly fished lake for being so close to town. I haven't quite figured it out but I seem to get a few small bows every time I go. Ditto with Showh Lakes which are hardly fished at all in the fall from what I have seen. Mosquito has been terrible for me, I can't seem to get more than a fish or two there and haven't caught any of the supposedly nice brookies.

I haven't figured out where to get to the upper Cheakamus yet, all I can see from the road is giant rapids & plunge pools which look too dangerous to fish to me. Fishing on the other side of the Sea to Sky Hwy. was a bust for me. I hate the lower Mamquam for pinks since it is slammed by locals every day the pinks are in. I don't do combat fishing LOL. I haven't caught squat in the Ashlu yet. I have done OK in the Birkenhead when the chinook (earlier) or sockeye are in on egg flies. I am not impressed with the bows here (is there anything bigger than 12"?), but I have heard the dollies are nice.

Any help would be appreciated and if anyone wants to try a spot or two we will be in town until next Friday :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:42:43 AM by Orerockon »

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 07:52:41 AM »

Should start getting good in all the areas you mentioned and some of the areas you haven't figured out. I have hit them all and done well at this time of year ;) Alta was slow the other day. For access to Nita and Alpha turn at the Husky and you will find both lakes, sadly I haven't done as well for bigger fish in either of these lakes this year, haven't fished them much albeit.  Green outlet was great until the last two times out where it slowed considerably but that was before the ridge of high pressure moved in it might be good again. Loggers I actually havent gotten to this year for whatever reason so I don't have a report and the upper Cheak in spots is some of the best trout fishing around with a 3wt, the key word here is "in spots" ;) ;). Have heard that the Birk is fishing quite well behind the Sockeye but haven't had a chance to get down there. Mosquito gave me some beautiful fish this year.   You chose an excellent time of year to enjoy Whistler, I realize we are a tourist driven town and thats what makes us viable but when the masses are gone I'm not the upset either. Enjoy the sun. ;D

Good luck
always a student

jimmywits

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 08:54:12 AM »

Hello, I am headed for Whistler on Sept. 26th for a week of R&FF :) I have tubed the area quite a lot and have caught my fair share of nice fish. I was wondering if any of the less well known lakes or the rivers will be fishing well this time of year? Particularly Birkenhead R & Lk, and Lilloett (?) reservoir. I was told that Lilloett fishes great in the bays with a float tube by a guide many eyars ago, is that something worth trying this time of year? Also are the sockeye going to be in the Birkenhead? I just got back from SE Alaska and the sockeye are over and done with, we only saw a few all week. Ditto with the pinks, I started yanking them off since they were mostly gross & spawning. A very small egg "bead" was killing bows and doilies everywhere we fished. I don't even know where to get these - does anybody have a source (that I can get some from in the next few days LOL).

As way of repayment I can offer a few things I have learned about the Whistler area:

Alta fishes extremely well about now with a stickleback in the north end between the park and right off the outlet (sticklebacks, olive damsels). The sterile cuts they stocked can be truly massive (my personal best is 22").

I never could find a way into Nita or Alpha without risking getting caught trespassing (if anyone can help I'd appreciate it since we will be on Nordic Dr., 3 minutes away). I never have caught anything in the south end of Alta where everyone says to fish, maybe I am just too dumb.

The outlet of Green Lk. can be great right at dark, I have caught some very nice dollies swinging a black matuka here. I haven't figured out how to get to the mouth of the River of Golden Dreams (nice name there HAHA) although everyone seems to think that is a great spot to tube. I never caught anything in the creek itself.

Loggers Lk. off the upper Cheakamus can be good and it's a relatively lightly fished lake for being so close to town. I haven't quite figured it out but I seem to get a few small bows every time I go. Ditto with Showh Lakes which are hardly fished at all in the fall from what I have seen. Mosquito has been terrible for me, I can't seem to get more than a fish or two there and haven't caught any of the supposedly nice brookies.

I haven't figured out where to get to the upper Cheakamus yet, all I can see from the road is giant rapids & plunge pools which look too dangerous to fish to me. Fishing on the other side of the Sea to Sky Hwy. was a bust for me. I hate the lower Mamquam for pinks since it is slammed by locals every day the pinks are in. I don't do combat fishing LOL. I haven't caught squat in the Ashlu yet. I have done OK in the Birkenhead when the chinook (earlier) or sockeye are in on egg flies. I am not impressed with the bows here (is there anything bigger than 12"?), but I have heard the dollies are nice.

Any help would be appreciated and if anyone wants to try a spot or two we will be in town until next Friday :)
You might give Lucille Lake a try if you want Brookies. The Jane Lakes used to be good for Big Bows, but I am not sure about access anymore. Ivey Lake by Pemberton is a trophy lake. Blackwater Lake is always worth a trip as would be Birkenhead Lake. I believe the access to Alpha Lake is down Lake Placid Rd. Turn off Hwy 99 onto Taylor road and right onto Lake Placid Rd. Nita Lake access is also from Lake Placid Rd but turn onto it off of Hwy 99(not Taylor Rd) then turn north on Karen Creek rd then left on Drew Drive, this takes you to the southern shore.
Hope this helps   tight lines

funpig

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 09:47:49 AM »

There is a nice dock to fish off of on Nita Lake.  In August, I saw 3 or 4 guys in float tubes fly-fishing on Nita Lake just in front of the Nita Lake Lodge.  I did not see anybody catch anything but there were a few jumpers in the evening.

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »

Fishing the spit at Green Lakes by Nick North is your best bet for a guaranteed Dollie if you want to stay local....I have fished every hole in whistler as I am from there and can tell you that Green Lake is the only body of water that will GUARANTEE a tubby trout.  Friend of mine was fishing Alice recently and said he had a great day...it is worth it to drive up to Pembe as there is much less fishing pressure and the ONLY tackle store in the area exists there...talk to Brad and he will point you in the right direction.  Oh yeah...the 3 km hike into Cheakamus Lake is always worth it for sheer numbers but not much by way of size.  Remember to buy all your gear in the city as the Whistler Fly Fishing store is a complete rip!
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 02:30:17 PM »

Nita can be accessed by parking at the train station in Creekside and walking down the bike path.  There is a small creek that dumps in about 1km down the trail and it consistently puts out fish as well.  If you hike off into the woods in the opposite direction of the creek you will find a small fire pit (old skool party pit!)  There is some good wading territory in there as well.
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 03:00:20 PM »

Remember to buy all your gear in the city as the Whistler Fly Fishing store is a complete rip!

A show of loyalty to the guys in the shop and they really help good customers out, just like most good shops. Remember to all who fish Fitz Creek or anywhere on Green Lake or Alta Lake it is C&R with a bait ban. You would be surprised at what the meatheads up here think they are aloud to do.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 03:02:26 PM by dereke »
always a student

Orerockon

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »

You guys are a great help! I can't find Jane Lakes on my map of the area, is it easy to find? I think they are off the road by Function Junction, right? And they are hike-in, which isn't good for my wife (she had 2 surgeries on her ankles 2 years ago). I think she can make Loggers Lake tho. I do stop in at the fly shop but they are always "yeah this is good and that is good" but won't give up what is really fishing hot unless you get one of their $$$ guides. Decent place for last minute tying materials tho. I shelled out enough in Alaska thank you very much! And while I am at it, can we get licenses in Pemberton? I usually stop at Brackendale but we'll be going by in the wee hours of the morning this time. And Alice Lake I am not familiar with either, is it stockies or wild fish?
Oh yeah and I don't know what "bait" is, can you help me out there? And keeping a trout is against my religion :)