Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Opens In the Fraser  (Read 29447 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Opens In the Fraser
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2011, 03:44:04 PM »

that's good, now i can breathe and wait till the craziness dies down a bit...well, actually it won't but at least i don't need to get my shifts covered this weekend ;)

Further to Fishery Notice FN 0711, effective one hour before sunrise Saturday,
August 13, 2011 until further notice, in those waters of the Fraser River in
Region 2 (non-tidal Fraser River) retention of sockeye is permitted with a
daily limit of two (2) per day.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=134994&ID=recreational

ricer

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2011, 07:35:20 PM »

Some interesting fuel to add to the fire.

The last commercial opening was 3 hours - 2 of which were almost useless due to the ripping tide.  For those of you who don't know, tides make a huge difference to commercial gillnet fishing as well.  A fleet can fish on the river for hours and get almost nothing ( 5 - 10 fish a set lasting 20 min approx...) and then when the tide slacks and starts to back up you can catch 200 in a set or two before it slows down again.  And this with hundreds of nets below you  - just amazing how the fish seem to appear out of nowhere. 

Anyways - my dad's friend is a fisherman's union rep and was at the discussion about the last commercial Fraser opening and originally it was going to be 2 hours.  When they added the extra hour it was on the front end of the tide.  When asked why it wasn't tacked on to the last hour they were told it was because of the FN commercial opening upcoming.  There is a heirarchy, no doubt about it, whether you believe it is deserved or not is a different discussion but make no mistake about it there is a political order of operations when it comes to the fishing in this province. 

Another area of discussion is the belief that a FN commercial opening is against the law - supported by Mr. Cummins and his many protests -
http://fnbc.info/mp-among-bc-fishermen-fined-protest

Finally, It is well known that many FN fisherman go out for "food" fish then store it and add it to their catch during a FN commercial opening.  As usual, a few bad eggs spoils the batch.  I don't blame them but i do think the lack of enforcement is what leads many to be angry and draws uncalled for racism and negative attitudes toward the FN.  We also know many FN people who have given up their status cards and own a "regular" commercial liscence, pay for their own schooling, and pay taxes.  Very interesting to hear their view on things.

Long live the Fraser salmon - lets just hope no one gets the idea to put up a dam!!!!! ;)

Butch1949

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2011, 08:41:16 AM »

Great and informative post ricer, this explains a lot and answers questions all around, much appreciative :)
"I don't catch fish"

Z71

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »

"A steady flow of sockeye has been
observed at Mission in the 75,000-90,000 per day over the weekend. "   

The following fisheries are planned: Lower Fraser River recreational fishery opened on Saturday August 13 until
further notice. Check with the specific Fishery Notice for specific details.

;D...Another day to put two more in the freezer... ;D

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=135089&ID=recreational
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:59:50 PM by Z71 »

Butch1949

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2011, 05:12:22 PM »

Saw posted on Barry's Bait & tackle posting for opening on Tidal portion of Fraser river "Opening for Sockeye @ 2 per day until further notice," just as on the fresh water portion of the fraser, does anyone have the DFO tidal confirmation posting for this?
"I don't catch fish"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2011, 05:13:09 PM »

Saw posted on Barry's Bait & tackle posting for opening on Tidal portion of Fraser river "Opening for Sockeye @ 2 per day until further notice," just as on the fresh water portion of the fraser, does anyone have the DFO tidal confirmation posting for this?

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=134990&ID=recreational

Butch1949

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2011, 05:32:28 PM »

Thanks Rodney, that was very fast on your part, just was registering myself with DFO on their notices site when you responded, this confirms the info I saw with their notice and the info Barry's posted, so it is a constant check now on these sites for closures as it is open for both Tidal and Freshwater on the Fraser for retention of 2 sockeye per day until they close it ;)
"I don't catch fish"

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2011, 08:51:54 PM »

Rodney the fishery link you posted said the next update on the recreational fishing would be on monday? Is it available yet?
The Bigger The Better!

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2011, 09:31:46 PM »

8) 8) all i can say is i cant wait i was down to one coho left in the freezer and it will be great to get back out on the river with some good friends and fun times for all 8)

mike89

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »

got out today in the boat by hope, most seemed to get their socks and a few springs mixed in

rosejeff

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »

With the commercial opening today, I heard it takes 4 days to affect the upper (Chilliwack-Hope) part of the river.
Is that true? If so it will be a slow weekend...

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »

I think it's closer to 2-3 days....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2011, 11:32:39 AM »

6 hours

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2011, 11:41:46 AM »

I think it's closer to 2-3 days....

3 days for the fish to show up again near Hope.