Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lake stocking  (Read 5380 times)

jacklam999

lake stocking
« on: March 04, 2014, 01:45:24 PM »

Will the lower mainland lakes stock around mid march? or will be april. Due to the cold weather, will it possible to delay the stocking?

Thank you

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: lake stocking
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 05:09:37 PM »

Why don't you just call the hatchery and ask ?

http://www.gofishbc.com/about-us/what-we-do/fish-hatcheries/fraser-valley-hatchery.aspx

They used to start stockings right after the Sportmans show but the last couple years its been later in March or early April
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Ian Forbes

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:36:03 AM »

When will they stock some Giant snakeheads and at least give us a REAL gamefish to catch. Better eating, better fight and they grow quickly by eating everything and anything... including small children.

A big one bit the jungle perch I was playing, in half with one chomp.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 06:42:51 AM »

That's one frightening fish. It looks like something from Jurassic Park. It has a football sized head full of ripper teeth. That snakehead would have no problems eradicating the Mill Lake pike and the goose over-population and probably the drunken fishermen. Probably a good idea not to use a belly boat in their waters.

Could you imagine if these this launched themselves like the Asian Carp. They would jump into your boat and start chomping at you.

Once our salmon are all gone maybe we could give these guys a chance here but I wouldn't ever agree to that.

Funny though, the more I look at that beast, the more it seems to fascinate me. It is one powerful killing machine built to be the ultimate survivor.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 08:44:06 PM »

There is already Snakehead invading some rivers in the U.S.

Ian - have you ever caught any Arapaima

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/river-monsters/photos/killer-fish-arapaima-pictures.htm

these fish look damn cool and get frigging huge !! saw one up close at the Vancouver Aquarium which I think was around 6 foot long

P.S. - River Monsters is one of my favourite shows  :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:46:25 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

Tenz85

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 08:55:03 PM »

That thing looks like something of alien vs predator. How big do they get?

Any anyone call to see of they are stocking after the show at trade x?

Ian Forbes

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 03:10:41 AM »

Giant snakeheads can get quite large, and up to about 4 feet long, but I've only hooked one that size. I've seen one swim onto shore and grab a white egret that got to close too the water. Snakeheads have a rudementary lung and can breath air for a while out of water.

A Canadian friend caught this one a few years ago, but most of the big ones get killed in set nets that are EVERYWHERE in Thai reservoirs. The locals also use shockers from truck batteries to kill everything. Conservation outside parks does not exist in Asia.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 03:23:01 AM »

Ian - have you ever caught any Arapaima

these fish look damn cool and get frigging huge !! saw one up close at the Vancouver Aquarium which I think was around 6 foot long

I only hooked one arapaima at a pay for play fishing park. It broke my 30 lb line and almost my rod. But it lay there long enough for me to get a few photos.

I was actually lucky not to have landed it because you have to pay extra for that privledge. I did see some guys land one at a different fishing park and the guy had to pay about $200.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 02:07:25 PM »

God damn they are one cool looking fish !!
Check out our new blog

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 10:40:49 PM »

Lower Mainland lake catchable rainbow trout stockings are tentatively scheduled for this coming week, but it'll all depend on the water temperature. Not so much the water temperature of the lakes where the fish are being stocked at, but the water temperature where the fish have been rearing, which is usually lower than the lake temperature. If the difference is too large (very low water temperature at the hatchery and higher temperature at the lake), then the fish will not survive will when they are released. I'll have updates on the website as usual when stockings begin.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 10:59:45 PM »

Thanks for the updates, Rodney. We always appreciate the work you do... even though I have a weird tendency to take it a bit off topic.

well, maybe a LOT off topic.  ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »

Thanks for the updates, Rodney. We always appreciate the work you do... even though I have a weird tendency to take it a bit off topic.

well, maybe a LOT off topic.  ;)

nothing has ever been more true !!

you do make me laugh a lot though Ian  ;)
Check out our new blog

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »

Thanks for the info Rod. Always keeping us informed... :)