Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any duty to buy a used reel in the USA? And Ebay thoughts  (Read 7189 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Is there any duty to buy a used reel in the USA? And Ebay thoughts
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »

To buy off ebay (.com or .ca) you will need to set up an ebay account, a paypal account, an an account at the place you want to pick it up in the US if you decide to have it shipped to the US instead of Canada.

Myself, I check out what item X is going for locally. If the price diff isnt huge Ill always buy locally. However once it starts getting to over $50 savings ill think more about buying online. Make sure to factor in shipping costs, possibly having to pay tax, etc.

I buy a lot of stuff online and 9/10 times it's cheaper to have shipped to Sumas, WA and pick it up. If $200 or under I never get hassled. Over $200 and on occasion I have to pay tax.

Animal Chin

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 06:15:15 PM »

If you purchase from a US retailer that has a presence in WA (where you'll get it shipped), you have to pay state tax of 8%. Otherwise, no US sales tax. If Canadian Customs decides to tax you, its on the total amount (including taxes).

However, as others have mentioned, if it's under $200-300 they'll likely wave you through.

Renegade

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 12:49:24 AM »

I've been happy with TSB in Point Roberts.  For sending directly to Canada I use USPS to avoid brokerage.  Sometimes I get charged taxes and a fee.  So far no duties on fishing gear.  While I prefer to shop locally, some items cannot be found in around here, or are far more expensive.

Suther

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 01:23:14 PM »

I've been happy with TSB in Point Roberts.  For sending directly to Canada I use USPS to avoid brokerage.  Sometimes I get charged taxes and a fee.  So far no duties on fishing gear.  While I prefer to shop locally, some items cannot be found in around here, or are far more expensive.

I can second TSB Shipping. I've sent like 30 things there, never had a problem. Mostly textbooks and truck parts. They also seem to have the cheapest rates for small items (only $3 unless its gone up, everywhere else is $5 it seems)

fishingwithegg2

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 04:33:14 PM »

to avoid brokerage and duty make sure the seller ships via USPS - not UPS or Fedex etc. Duty is assessable on any product not made in the US such as Korea or China ...where most reels are made. You are also liable to pay PST GST etc even if you pick it up in Blaine. It depends if the CBSA folks who process your return think it's worth their while.

If the seller doesn't offer shipping via USPS, you can avoid paying UPS/Fedex brokerage fees by clearing the item yourself with CBSA.
http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-clear-shipment-cbsa-avoid-ups-brokerage-fee/

TLDR:
Print out the online receipt for your product.
When UPS arrives at the door, refuse the shipment.
Go to the UPS warehouse near YVR. Tell them you will be self clearing the item. UPS will give you the necessary forms.
Bring the forms along with your online receipt to the CBSA office on opposite side of the airport.
Pay your taxes/duties if asked. CBSA will stamp your forms.
Bring forms back to UPS warehouse. Pick up item. Done.

Suther

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 09:54:04 AM »

My buddy just got some stuff he ordered online in the mail, shipped by USPS.

~$80 worth of stuff, he got slammed with pst and gst, and a $13 handling fee from customs. Total charge was $21.50.

So dont believe that USPS is immune to this sort of thing, 'cause they clearly are not...

The real kicker is they only shipped half his order (other part wasn't in stock) but he got hit for taxes on the whole thing.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:55:57 AM by Suther »